Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Full speed at night... crash

Re: Full speed at night... crash

You might have your wish pin head i hurd from a good source all boats 10 meters and over may be reduced to a 10 knot speed limit,its still in the process now,if it does happen your marina fees should drop because know one is going to store a boat somewere when they can only do ten knots.This is only in the broad water.

Volunteer Marine Rescue skipper Greg Turner said poor visibility and winds might have contributed to the crash.

I think the fact that we were travelling outside of the markers played a part. One bloke bust 3 ribs on impact with 4 other blokes, a lady who was on the stairs broke her collar bone, bodies were flying everywhere, lots of people were saying they were very sore with some large bruises and sore bits. Me, smashed my head on the upstairs window, smashed my phone, got a massive lump on my leg off one of the seats, bruised ribs/hip/shoulder - got a bandage on my hand, ice for my head, glass of red and went off to the party!!!!!!!

charter boat...................... what charter boat.....

I think it was more like....."sand bar.......what sand bar!!
    The water at the impact point was less than a foot deep.

poor vision?????? Ummmm G P S!!!!!!!!!!
    DOHHHHHHH!

Whoopsies ouch
    Tanglefoot

Quote Originally Posted by bastard View Post
    You might have your wish pin head i hurd from a good source all boats 10 meters and over may be reduced to a 10 knot speed limit,its still in the process now,if it does happen your marina fees should drop because know one is going to store a boat somewere when they can only do ten knots.This is only in the broad water.
    that has been proposed for boat 15m and over...but I doubt it will happen..too many big hitters with the big boats.

Quote Originally Posted by marty+jojo View Post
    poor vision?????? Ummmm G P S!!!!!!!!!!
    DOHHHHHHH!
    I have hit a sandbar and the GPS showed I was in deep water..not too hard to miss a channel down there.

Quote Originally Posted by STARBUG View Post
    Volunteer Marine Rescue skipper Greg Turner said poor visibility and winds might have contributed to the crash.

I think the fact that we were travelling outside of the markers played a part. One bloke bust 3 ribs on impact with 4 other blokes, a lady who was on the stairs broke her collar bone, bodies were flying everywhere, lots of people were saying they were very sore with some large bruises and sore bits. Me, smashed my head on the upstairs window, smashed my phone, got a massive lump on my leg off one of the seats, bruised ribs/hip/shoulder - got a bandage on my hand, ice for my head, glass of red and went off to the party!!!!!!!
    that's the aussie way mate...don't let anything get in the way of enjoying yourself...the man deserves a medal.

Quote Originally Posted by STARBUG View Post

what's the first thing you do in restricted (poor) visibility and adverse weather conditions?
    slow down to a speed appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.
    commercial pressures are another issue to be factored into the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    and all those Rivs etc and the sports cruisers..should ban the lot of them

Hehehe!

night boating always keeps the adrenalin pumping.
    Those 44 gallon drums out the river nearly claimed me once

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish73 View Post
    night boating always keeps the adrenalin pumping.
    Those 44 gallon drums out the river nearly claimed me once
    What 44 gallon drums?

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    What 44 gallon drums?
    they are used as buoys for anchor points I guess. a few in the white island entrace near where the tugs are, and another few out near the mouth on the southern side.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish73 View Post
    they are used as buoys for anchor points I guess. a few in the white island entrace near where the tugs are, and another few out near the mouth on the southern side.
    Aha - so they are moored/anchored then.

I love night fishing. I would only go fishing at night if I could. In fact, in winter that is all the fishing that I do but the weather is not so great for night fishing in summer.

However, night boating does require a pretty sound knowledge of where everything is, gained in the daytime. It is not so bad coming back in the Bay at night because those big orange Port of Brisbane lights illuminate the path in front of you but it can be a bit daunting going out into the Bay away from those lights, especially if it is choppy.

Ah yes, my point exactly - that the skipper can hardly say I didnt see it. Tonight on the news they are saying "a navigational error" - thats a pretty good euphemism