Thread: braid to mono connection...

braid to mono connection...

Hey guys,
    Ive just recently loaded my spheros up with 50lb braid and am questioning my braid to mono connection on it at the leader.
    I lost a popper casting the first day i had it out after the braid cut through the mono.
    I was just using a very standard double reverse blood knot for the connection as this was what i had previously used between mono connections in the lighter classes.
    Im not to keen on losing many more lures unless its from angry GT's crashing into bommies (even then im not THAT keen on losing them, buts it bearable from a fish)
    If anyone has a good knot site for braid that'd be absolutel mint.
    Ill be putting a 2 meter double via a spider hitch. Any other suggestions?
    Cheers guys

Re: braid to mono connection...

in the hints and tips section there are animated knotts to try out,have a bit of a look. i use the 5 turn surgens knott with my leaders now,used to do the albright but started to lose a few lures while casting,this new knott hasnt failed yet for ages,(touch wood).
    If i could get paid the same to fish, sorry boss but i ......!

Yer I use the 5 turn surgens knot. Also what leader are you using ? I just switched to Penn 10x and it's great.
    ________
    MARIJUANA VAPORIZER

yeah mate go the surgens minimum of 4turns, i've tryed a few including the double uni's and albright but have found the surgen to be the best.better not strength in my opinion to, cheers jayvee

Me to 5 turn surgens

albright for me never had any problems with it but i use 30lb braid to a 20 lb leader.but in all honesty i prefere mono only use braid on 1 rod and mono on the rest.

Well i guess its the 5 turn surgen for me.
    Has anyone ever had many problems with the spider hitch?
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    Well i guess its the 5 turn surgen for me.
    Has anyone ever had many problems with the spider hitch?
    Matt
    Yea i heard the spider hitch is pretty weak. I was using the Improved Albright but it was getting caught in my guides , i tied it with 30lb fins and 60lb jinkai and it was only 1.5 x 2mm . I have been thinking about trying the Yacatan with a Bimini twist, was going to use spider hitch as it is easier to tie but then i heard it was weak.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard 92 View Post
    Yea i heard the spider hitch is pretty weak. I was using the Improved Albright but it was getting caught in my guides , i tied it with 30lb fins and 60lb jinkai and it was only 1.5 x 2mm . I have been thinking about trying the Yacatan with a Bimini twist, was going to use spider hitch as it is easier to tie but then i heard it was weak.

James
    what sort of a rod are you using??

it all depends on what you call weak. if, for arguments sake, it is only 75% of breaking strain, in your 30lb line your knot will break at 22lb, roughly 10kg so basically unless your rod is capable of fishing more than 10kg the knot strength really does not come into it that much.. unless you are pointing it straight at the fish & locking up the spool.

only a personal opinion, but i feel too much emphasis is put on knot & line strength when the actual rod & reels capability is not taken into account..

I have been using the Slim Beauty for the last 18 mths or so and have not had any probs with it.Don't have any probs with it catching on guides.

Cheers Dazza

this is the link to the knot that I use so for so good no dramas yet
    http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/knot1.html

The albright (with or without a double) seems to be the strongest connection with the improved version locking better. The slim beauty is better for repeated casting if the Albright is catching on the guides. Check out marinenews.com.au for a bit more info and plenty of other options. Double Centauri knot is another option (stronger than double uni knot)

Let us know how you go

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by DR View Post
    what sort of a rod are you using??

it all depends on what you call weak. if, for arguments sake, it is only 75% of breaking strain, in your 30lb line your knot will break at 22lb, roughly 10kg so basically unless your rod is capable of fishing more than 10kg the knot strength really does not come into it that much.. unless you are pointing it straight at the fish & locking up the spool.

only a personal opinion, but i feel too much emphasis is put on knot & line strength when the actual rod & reels capability is not taken into account..
    Hey DR, I use a T-Curve, 6-10kg and a Bass Raider. I havent tried the spider hitch, just that some people have said it is not one of the strongest knots to use......

G'day Mattooty, I tie a double in my braid using a Bimini twist, (hard to tie when the boat is going up and down) and connect the leader using the improved Albright. I've had no problems with it yet. The Spider hitch is a very easy knot to tie a double, but it has about 60-70% the breaking strain. I haven't used the 5 turn surgeon knot. Might be a bit easier to tie. No harm in trying