Thread: Fishing in Mackay

Fishing in Mackay

Hey chaps I' m predominantly a lurker on Ausfish.
    But the missus and I are moving to Mackay in about 3 and a bit weeks
    Q) Is the fishing really that great up there? I' ll be landbased but will prob take a charter or two once i settle in am I allowed to fish using a rod (social standards guys some places in nq you can get into trouble if your not using a handline)

Thats all thanks

Re: Fishing in Mackay

Hi Oztrav,

Welcome to the North!!

Probably the best piece of advice that I can offer you is what I read in a copy of NQ Fish and Boat not too long back:

"I moved to North Queensland expecting fish to jump in my boat or at my feet, this doesn't happen".

Never a truer word spoken!
    In NQ we are blessed with fantastic weather and also equally good fishing but they do take work; they aren't; going to commit suicide on your hooks.

Albeit I live in Cairns, I did live in Mackay for close to 12 months. The rock wall at the marina is a good spot for land based from what I hear but I never caught anything there except a small wrasse once; the locals will be able to tell you more. Call in at Barra Pro just across the road from the BP on the way into Mackay city itself, they were always helpful when I went in and should be able to put you onto a few fish. Their contact details are below:

301 Nebo Rd MACKAY 4740
    Ph: (079) 52 4629

Second most important piece of advice I can give you, keep your eyes peeled for "floating handbags with teeth", they are starting to become more active here and I'm sure that Mackay will be the same.
    Regards,

Andrew.
    =============
    W: www.agt.id.au
    M: 0410 834 486

went up there for a week hoping to go fishing every day but it rained for 7 days straight that was about 2 months ago
    "True Blue"

Thanks synful i didnt think they would commit suicide for me though i wouldnt mind if they did just as long as its no stinking catfish im so over them but yeah the ol scout the tackle shops trick hey

Compared to down south the fishing in north qld just gets better and better the further north you venture. Mackay has heaps of great fishing in the salt from the river out. A mate of mine up there regularly catches tuna on fly and sp's at the mouth of the river. They also do well on reefies such as coral trout around the close offshore islands all accessed by tinnie.
    However another good option is fishing the upper sweetwater reaches of local creeks for smaller barra, sooties, jacks and the like.
    Some light line and small sp's and a bit of a walk along a jungle creek is a recipe for success.

G'day mate, and welcome to Mackay.
    Plenty of places and plenty of fish. Here is a link to help out with the local areas.
    http://www.fishingline.com.au/Queensland/Mackay.htm

The harbour south breakwall is as popular as you can get. Almost anything gets caught there, from Flathead to mackerel, to coral trout, to cod and trevally etc.
    If you can get hold of a small tinny, there are some excellent places, like the Newry Islands just 4-7 km off Seaforth.
    The local dams have exceptional barra and sooty grunter fishing; Kinchant, Teemburra and Peter Faust have some monster barra and Eungella has great sooty grunter fishing.
    Bugga........I've let the secret out.

ill be trying to get myself a seq threadie before i head up which is about 3 weeks away the missus and i are really looking forward to it