Thread: Moon & Billy Fishes

Moon & Billy Fishes

G'day all, I'm in the process of booking my annual summer holidays, looking at a few different moons and tides.

Does anyone have any distinct preference for moon phase when chasing the inshore Billy's. I like a couple of days either side of full moon, seems to be the best return for me, probably because this is when I fish th most!!

On the flip side, is their any time that people avoid like the plague.

Any advice welcome.

Cheer's, Scott

Re: Moon & Billy Fishes

I have good results on small blacks and sails the week leading up to the full moon. I'm personally not a fan of the week after the full.

Have read that Cairns skippers have best results on the half moon either side but whether this is true or not I do not know.

Shaun

Stay away from the moons imho, i dont like a lot of run, plays havoc with the bait, first quater for me

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

I am not all that wrapped up in moon phases for light tackle Marlin fishing. The months they are there are more important. For Blue Marlin there is a definate correlation with them biting well on the quarters. From Boxing Day to Australia Day is a good start if you are booking holidays. Peak time I know but on the Goldy that will be best. I always try and get on the waters those two days. They are usually crackers if the weather lets you. Change of tide is a good time. If you get either a tide change or solunar time around 2:00 p.m. (Marlin o'clock) you are in with a show. The problem with full moons is the weather associated with them. It is usually crap. I tend to think they feed a bit at night as well so are not real interested in baits during the day. Spaniards are a bit like that and the few we have caught around Easter (Easter is traditionally on the full moon) have been full of squid. The later you can fish into the afternoon the better as well. Maybe worth sleeping in and letting the other boats find the fish then stay out after they have all gone home and capitalise on the late bite. Sat tagging shows them most active just before dusk. Also maybe just pick tides that let you get into the Seaway in the dark on a run-in tide if you do decide to fish on right to dusk.
    Last edited by Smithy; 21-08-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Smithy, agree with you re the "hot times" on the Goldy. I then usually hit South West Rocks down NSW mid north coast for the first 2 weeks in feb for the first real push of fish numbers down that way and what is generally an excellent concentration of numbers in close with the option for some bigger blues and blacks a bit wider.

Cheers, Scott