Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modifying Slick Rigs

Smile Modifying Slick Rigs

Hi All,

I am after some tips for modifying Slick Rigs. I have been using gamagatsu siswash salt water fly hooks as stingers but am more after tips on how to attach a St-66 treble to the lure.

I know this post could be put into tackle directory but i thought there would be a better response from the freshwater guys who have modded their baits for the impoundment barra.

My plans was to use a single strand wire and attach via the hook eye down though the body and attach on the bottom of the bait .

Has any one added the trebles directly to the single hook?

Any info and pics would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Aaron

Re: Modifying Slick Rigs

Hey Aaron,

Saw a write-up in a QFM article whereby the slick rig was cut mid-way through the plastic so that the shaft of the hook is exposed - a treble was then attached (would recommend the super strong halco ones) and a large treble was attached. It looked to sit nicely and more split rings can be added if you want more movement to the treble. It looks like a strong link as the only way the treble can slip off is over the hook itself or if the split ring gives way - will be attaching a treble to slick rigs this way myself.

Smile Re: Modifying Slick Rigs

Got a few ideas for ya along with a few photos.
    I use heavy braid or twist & melt wire atached to #4 or#2 Owner 4X strongs run up through the belly of the swimbaits then attached to tow eye via crimp, twist weld or knot etc. Or you can run a scew eyelet into the nose of the Jig Head. Frog hooks or doubles can work OK as stingers....... tie and glue a small beak hook on to the double so it can be attached on top or under the swimbait then attach to main hook with some heavy braid or Dacron. The Gamakatsu G- stinger works great as a stinger rigged high on the main hook also.
    One thing i must add is all of the modifications done to these rubbers will most likley reduce the amount of strikes in a lot of cases.But if there on the prod then the hook up rate will offset that anyway .

Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Bump.
    Hi all first post, after converting from a lurker.

McCod, thanks very much for that post, informative and helpful.

I've been dabbling with modifying slickrigs in prep for a upcoming trip.

I've:
    -Attached a treble thru the body of the rig to the eyelt, using that knottable wire.
    -I've done the same with mono and a crimp.
    -I've been shaving some of the lead off jugheads in a effort to slow sinkrate, and try and get a gentle waft type sink.

However, I've been struggling with attaching a stinger hook. That Gamakatstu G-Stinger one looks the goods McCod, have you tested it out ? Is the hook strong enough or does it bend under a big barra ? Also I haven't seen the G-stingers up close, how have you attached it to the hook (looks like some little plastic crimp?)

thanks.

If Barra are short striking plastics, they are telling you something.
    I agree with Les, often less strikes are forthcoming, and hooks foul.
    There is a FAR better answer to the problem..................the answer is pretty easy when you think about it.
    Cheers
    Jas

Thanks les for you pics and info

Sorry should of come up and said hello at Faust on the barra tour. I decided not to rig the slicks with stingers after some discussion and considersation.

Jas makes a very good point about modifying.

Cheers

Aaron

Jas,
    Thanks for posting that comment "There is a FAR better answer to the problem..................the answer is pretty easy when you think about it."
    I had a week at Awoonga from the 29/10 to 4/11 and during the first day started out with plastics and experienced a few short strikes and thought about your above comment and switched to a hard body.
    As the say the rest is history!
    From there on in things pretty much turned around for me and the weeks results read like this, 45 hits, 36 hookups and 20 fish boated & released. There were only two over the metre mark and most of the others were in the mid 80's range a lot of fun.
    I only managed to boat one fish on plastics for the trip.
    My fish came from pretty much over the whole dam but there were a couple of "honey holes" away from the crowd that kept producing for me.

Bad_Bazza

BB,
    Simple fix eh? Bugger adding hooks to plastics I reckon. Ive been down that road, and as you found out the answer to the problem is staring you in the face!
    Barra have many moods with varying strike methods, sometimes you just need to sit and think about it logically.
    Short striked???? A Barra that is not "lit up" needs something in its face a little longer, and with more hooks.
    Other times, the faster the better with a slick rig.
    Thats Barra.
    Well done on your week mate, sounds like you had a blast!
    Cheers
    Jas

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_Bazza View Post
    "There is a FAR better answer to the problem..................the answer is pretty easy when you think about it."
    I had a week at Awoonga from the 29/10 to 4/11 and during the first day started out with plastics and experienced a few short strikes and thought about your above comment and switched to a hard body.
    Bad Bazza

We encountered similar short striking issues on our recent sabbatical to Awoonga. We were fishing hard with plasics, and for a few nights, we were plagued by short strikes, taps, mis-hits, and timid bumps Dead set, we thought they were catties until we decided to change tack. Just couldn't get a solid hook-set.

Two of us (Vin and myself) stayed with the rubbers, while Navi swapped over to an X Rap.

I call it the Milo moment...marvellous what a difference it made....second cast...whack Navi was on...a little bit more hang time in the water column and that extra dangly last treble...enough to secure an 80+ barra, determine the real "culprit" and restore some much-needed confidence....the barra confirmation allowed Vin and I to stick with the slick rigs, but modify our technique....we both scored another 80-odd and a 74, and eventually a 110. Well worth the late night stake out.

Cheers
    Paul

[ATTACH]sum[/ATTACH]

Attachment 15982

Attachment 15983

Attachment 15984

Attachment 15985
    Last edited by Big_Ren; 15-11-2007 at 11:23 PM.

well blow me down, I've learned 3 things from this post and my last trip to Lake M.

For me the most important is that suspending lures don't work as well on exploratory casts into timbered gullies (monduran) as floaters but work better along weed beds. This is because I can back floaters out of snags, but as a mug I can't get the suspenders out and have to drive my boat in to the hot spot
    Alternatively I have completely missed the point on where these Awoongafishers were plying their trade

Artesian,
    It has nothing to do with the environment you are fishing mate, weedbeds or timber. Short striking is a common problem.
    Yep agree that when the subsurface make up is unknown, then a floater will save you a few lures. But it may also cost you fish if you need to keep the lure in their space.

Barra's moods and differing methods of striking, and how to combat such problems is a subject we could talk forever on.
    Cheers
    Jas
    Last edited by the_matrix; 16-11-2007 at 12:54 AM.

Short strikes happen with all lures....The reason a stinger hook is attached is to increase the odds in getting the fish to the boat.......With Slick rigs...... l seem to have more hookups on them than any other lure...But there is a downside...only one contact one point with the fish so a lot of fish are lost after the hookup....

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Short strikes happen with all lures....
    You have missed the point Awoonga................its the retrieve that is the problem, not the lure.
    If you constant wind a hb of course you can have short striking problems. That can be addressed with a HB.

The point is, you cant suspend/pause slick rigs, thats why there is a better option when fish are short striking them............for me it tells me what sort of mood they are in.
    Short striking occurs because of the mood the fish is in, weather, feeding cycle, competion as well as other factors unexplained all contribute.
    If they are short striking there is a better option to catch them.

As Paul mentioned above, Navi in a recent email, as well as bad bazza, they had problems until they had a think about it and modified their approach.
    Its not a straight swap to a hb that makes the difference, or the fact that a hb has more hooks, its the retrieve modification that is the key.

As stated, Barra have many moods, and many many strike methods, therefore you need many tactics to counter this.
    If you stick with plastics alone, you will limit you chances big time in whats available, purely because Barra attack their prey in many more ways than just track down and smash.
    The more strings in your bow, or in this case more lures and rerieve styles, the better.
    Cheers
    Jas
    Last edited by the_matrix; 16-11-2007 at 09:29 AM.

I used the The new Pro Series (I really hate names like that ) down at Faust a month or so ago. I liked 'em. Much lighter than the original for slower working in shallow water.

Quote:

TeamThumperBump.
    Hi all first post, after converting from a lurker.

McCod, thanks very much for that post, informative and helpful.

I've been dabbling with modifying slickrigs in prep for a upcoming trip.

I've:
    -Attached a treble thru the body of the rig to the eyelt, using that knottable wire.
    -I've done the same with mono and a crimp.
    -I've been shaving some of the lead off jugheads in a effort to slow sinkrate, and try and get a gentle waft type sink.

However, I've been struggling with attaching a stinger hook. That Gamakatstu G-Stinger one looks the goods McCod, have you tested it out ? Is the hook strong enough or does it bend under a big barra ? Also I haven't seen the G-stingers up close, how have you attached it to the hook (looks like some little plastic crimp?)

thanks.

TeamThumper' Sorry for the late reply but i missed it...... many weeks away from Ausfish fishing i guess Yeah mate they work good and there attached via a sleeve of rubber and a dob of super glue to keep it up high on the hook.

Now i was going to post this coment in the tackle area...... but as we have a few lookers and i lot of fresh water junkys here' Re the Slick Rigs' I would be interested if many are having quality problems with Slick Rigs? Allmost every Slick Rig pack i've got over the last few months has been total junk to put it nicely and especially the Pro Slicks....... A big rip off so far as every pack " 4 of so far" has been faulty with bent and dented bodies' Tails etc way out of shape!! @ $10:95 a pack you would expect more

Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."