Thread: yeppoon rocky area help

yeppoon rocky area help

Hey everyone,
    Just after any information and some marks for some spots off yeppoon. I will be up there for 3months for work. I only have a 4.2 tinnie, but i take it offshore from the gold coast.

What type of fish are caught up there and would i be able to get anywhere decent in my boat.

I am leaving start of sept. Will there be any mackeral running up there.

GPS spots most welcome.

thanks guys

Ausfish Bronze Member

Re: yeppoon rocky area help

A good spot tom try for mackeral is Iron Pot, also known as Bluff Rock. This is about 1klm off Kemp Beach and about 1 1/2 klm south of Roslyn Bay harbour. Another good place to have a go is at the reefs at Rita Mada, about 6 klms south of Iron Pot and 1 1/2 klm from beach. I wouldn't go farther out than the western shores of North and South Keppel Islands in a 4.2 tinnie if your a newwie in this area. Definitely go Corio Bay via Corbets Landing, see the locals for how to get there or pm me. Corio Bay has great whiting, steelbacks, golden trevelly, barra, jacks, flathead and more. The 40 acre paddock and Square Rocks area are also a goer for macks and parrot fish. Dont forget to obtain a chart for the green zones.
    Good luck.
    Eagle

Re: yeppoon rocky area help

Here are my old favorite mac spots. The marks I have given are just of BlueChart are a close guide to the areas. They will get you close enough to visually see them as dark areas in the water. Bait is the main factor in Keppel Bay...if it is around these spots macs shouldn't be too far away. I always used drifted pillies, trolled gar and wolf herring, trolled minows and work your ass off with high speed spinning metals, crocs, flashers and taipans etc. Live bait too. Buy a chart. You can launch from Roslyn Bay Harbour, Emu Park (well protected beach launch, ok for 2wd) and beach launch from Bangalee if you got a 4x4. Pelican and Rita Mata from Emu Park you could manage in 10-15knt. The wider out marks you will need 5-10knt. Keep us informed on how you go.

Findlays Reef. Should start to fire from now onwards. Fathers day a few years back I got some very nice spanish there. If there is bait there the macs and cobia will also be there. There are a few scattered bommies and use the birds.

S23 00.783 E150 48.174

Conical Rocks. Big bommie on the western side of exposed length of rocks to the north of little island. Work around the edge of that. Plenty of ground all about here. Trolling works good here.
    S23 02.156 E150 52.309

Ross's Reef. Big bommie south of exposed length of rocks. If there is bait around there should be some fish.
    S23 06.275 E150 53.112

Hannah's Rocks. Big bommie out behind Great Keppel and Humpy Islands. Large area where trolling works well. Even work around eastern side of islands and rocky points.
    S23 12.023 E151 00.209

Rita Mata is good for macs. That about it....maybe some salmon. Shallow rocky weed bottom. Plenty of Wolf Herring for spanish baits. Should be a heap of boats there when macs are about.
    S23 13.187 E150 49.394

Pelican Island. There are areas all around here that will hold macs. Use a chart and fish the drop off areas and close in around rocky points and exposed bommies.
    S23 14.823 E150 52.005