Thread: Catfish

Catfish

Have been fishing the NW side of the wello reef and have has several bust offs which I thought were cod. Last night landed a 950mm 5-8kg catfish (Weight a bit of a guess as he wasn't very happy in my wee boat and my scales aren't the best.). Pulled like a cod except circled the boat when near.

Looked like a salmon cat except Grants indicates they don't come down this far. The size is almost too big for a Blue cat. Sorry only had my phone and its not very good a night.

Anyone else run into these brutes at wello. I also caught a 300 & 450 cat in the same place, same type.

Cheers
    John
    4.1m Rainwater tank & 50hp4st donk- go the plastic

Re: Catfish

yeah i have had a run in with a few of these monsters!!! one went over a meter and i had actually called it for a shark till it was right near the boat.... mine also circled the boat, ran and then collided head first into my anchor rope which stunned it long enough for me to cut him loose.

not exactly sure what species they are, but they are a ball of muscle, that for sure. good fun till you have to clean all the slime up!!

pete
    " Sea 'n' Things " 420 Quintrex-Suzuki 30

It sounds uncouth but spending my time fishing wivenhoe and brisbane river catties get instant batton treatment they are just overwhelming and though it seems cruel its a small bit in trying to have fish populations establish themselves in the river

Why not try to "eat" them. They are a pretty good chew.
    Lived on them as kids.
    Used to catch them in the Bris. R. many yrs ago and the majority of them were all
    over a metre long. Not many like that today.
    Off the hook, straight into the fire on the river bank and they cooked in their own oil. Skin used to crack and peel off and the gut shrivelled up to a small ball.
    Good tucker.