Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: One Besser Block at a time!

Re: One Besser Block at a time!

Whilst living in south Florida for a while I saw that they used to zip-tie large arrays of milk crates and bread crates into pyramid shapes and sink them with concrete blocks. Some where made to float above the bottom with bouy lines and in some places they would float them on top as triple tail FADs. Nearly every boat dock at people houses would have them underneath too. The result were a massive amount of structure for (their) Snapper and Grouper which are their two biggest rec species for the table.

A clandestine trip to the local shopping centre would yeild enough bread and milk crates to build a good sized reef. Use the bread crates as a skeleton and make sure the open faces of the milk crates face out to make a lttle cave and pretty soon you'll have your own spot for those pesky public holidays when every man and his dog are at the well known spots (if you can even still fish there).

Josh

I believe the MBAA will be pushing for more arties as compensation due to the EPA closure/restrictions of prime fishing spots

By the way, I am about to start a special landscaping project .
    If anyone knows where I can access some old concrete pipes it would be greatly appreciated
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

horse have u got a bobcat and a tip truck?
    "True Blue"

No mate just a trailer so they have to be manageable size
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Where can we access a barge for nil cost?

There are ample supplies of materials around but I see the bigger problem being able to move this stuff to the right locations and getting it offloaded.

Jack.

It might come down to this - roll your own arti reefs. Normally I am a model citizen, but there are some times when civil disobedience is necessary.

It it happens, we need some sensible "unofficial" guidelies as to what is not environmentally damaging. With the ready availability of cheap hand-held GPS it should not be too difficult to find and add to the people's reefs.

Anyhow, let's see the detail of the proposed restrictions. Are they available yet?

Mike

horse would u be using concrete 2 make an arti? i dont know what to use i think what flairj sugested about the bread crates is a good idea.
    i think there are a few guys serious about doing this so if any one can figure out how we can get the stuff out into the bay pls let us know.
    "True Blue"

Loophole zip tie half dozen milk crates together, then add a few besser blocks to the crates and let her go, a few of these each trip plus some other items and it wont take long.
    regards
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 20-08-2007 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Loophole zip tie half dozen milk crates together, then add a few besser blocks to the crates and let her go, a few of these each trip plus some other items and it wont take long.
    regards

Hi Webby

The bigest problem is where to drop. A GPS spot that won't fill with sand would be nice if such a spot is known.

Cheers
    John
    4.1m Rainwater tank & 50hp4st donk- go the plastic

I am thinking some of the deeper areasx of Bramble Bay and Deception Bay would be worth a shot for some artis. The current there is fairly minimal therefore less sand movements and siltation Is how I am thinking.

http://www.reefmaker.net/products.cfm

Now thats the ticket!!

thanks webby thanks stark if i can acquire a gps spot off someone and it can be kept fairly quiet and others are willing to help than maybe there might be a few more artis poping up in the bay. might be a night time stealth mission dumping the crates i think if anyone has a gps mark pm me and if your wiling to help pm me
    "True Blue"

tuna ticer geez great website you found but i reckon if i could weld i would be able to copy the design and make my own cus those ones aare a bit pricey$$.
    I think the old shipping container is a great idea but it might need a coat of paint to a light white or blue because it might get spotted from google earth.

"True Blue"

Of course this is all purely hypothetical and surely none of us would condone the actual construction of artificial habitats within Moreton Bay without EPA approval. If anybody was to decide to get involved in such a project then they would probably resort to using the PM system to exchange thoughts and to avoid prying eyes from the authorities.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"