Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: One Besser Block at a time!

One Besser Block at a time!

There probably a lot of reasons why this isn't a good idea but I'm still wondering if a couple of GPS marks were agreed upon amongst the boating public which you could drop a couple of bricks at each trip on the bay to form some new artificial reefs, what would the result be??????

Re: One Besser Block at a time!

Someone at the EPA would have a heart attack as he wouldn't have been able to waste a few hundred thousand dollars!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

The result might be a law enforcement officer lying in wait to see who rocks up and breaks the law by dumping waste into the sea. If anybody was thinking of illegally making their own FAD I reckon they'd do well to keep it under wraps.

Interesting idea. I'm sure there would be some official reason you can't do it.

Needs years of tax payer funded research bla bla. Not that simple bla bla!

I think its a great idea. I can't see to many people going to the trouble of putting waste in there boat to take it out there. Sureley its easier to dump it somewhere else? Mind you there is allways going to be the odd idiot that throws his rubbish over the side but that happens everywhere.

Cheers

Ian
    Last edited by Ian1; 17-08-2007 at 10:35 AM.

I think rubbish/litter is classed as anything you're not going to come back and collect later. Besser blocks would certainly come under that category. If you're going to make a FAD I reckon it's safest to collaborate with a few friends and leave it at that.

I think it would be safest to collaborate with the governing bodies DPI etc.

They might be painfull to deal with but the last thing we need is every man and his dog getting together with their mate and throwing what they see fit into the ocean to start there own little arty reef.

Ian

Most of us amateurs wouldn't be able to make a very effective arti anyway. In the past DPI has had some failures of their own, with FADs that have filled up with sand and become useless. The 'reef balls' DPI NSW is using seem to be doing OK though (http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/recr.../photo_gallery)

There will be an awful lot of concrete piles which could form a new arty when they demolish most of the Hornibrook Highway. Just an idea!
    Cheers Freeeedom

There will be an awful lot of concrete piles which could form a new arty when they demolish most of the Hornibrook Highway. Just an idea!
    Cheers Freeeedom
    very good idea good luck trying to convince them
    "True Blue"

G'day

I have it on no authority but have heard rumours that there was a local to the redlands, possibly a resident of russel that had made his own little arty, down that way. It is highly illegal though

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Freeeedom View Post
    Cheers Freeeedom
    Imagine if they dropped some of those old pylons into the deep channel just down from Deep Water Bend, make a nice home for cod and jacks

cheers

brian

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

I have it on no authority but have heard rumours that there was a local to the redlands, possibly a resident of russel that had made his own little arty, down that way. It is highly illegal though

Dave

The same has been done down here..but i will not say who done it

Mick

thats a great idea build your own reef could buy some old shitty boats and sink them dont get caught though some poeple wouldnt see the funny side

I have often thought the same You see some wonderful storm water pipes lying beside road On some old cane farms on the sunshine coast there are piles of clay pipes they would make a wonderful reef with protection for small critters.

You would have to pick a hard gravel or rock bottom and somewhere trawlers do not come through and sweep the bottom.

If fishing quietly at night I cannot see anyone noticing a few small splashes in the dark

Car bodies...mmmm...They would work well i reckon

Mick