Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: One Besser Block at a time!

Re: One Besser Block at a time!

Loophole, Nice Box.

Again Ive been talking to Dad about posts here.
    A quick 'back of the envelope' calculation' we came up with this.

Old Falcon. Drop out gearbox & motor. Brake lines too if your are concerned about the oil. Residual weight 800Kg.
    20 litre plastic drums. X 40.
    Tow / trailer Old Falcon to boat ramp, tuesday night.
    Wednesday night lauch boat. Attach empty 20l drums using rope to point like axel & tow rope to Falcon. Roll down boat ramp into water. Tow rope to boat & away you go.
    Get to Arti site. Smash drums.

No Ford / Holden jokes required.

I've been thinking a little bit more about this and got to wondering what Pauls does with the milk crates that are too damaged to send out again????? Also been wondering how you would know for sure you weren't going to foul up trawler nets??? Is there a map showing areas frequented by trawlers or alternatively areas where trawlers definitely never go???

Also found out that places like boral have breakages during the manufacture of blocks and pavers which aren't recycled and apparently need to be dumped.

the loading dock at the local coles shopping center near me has plenty of milk crates i reckon i could fit about 60 in the back of a ute
    "True Blue"

I reckon if you've got your heart set on illegally deploying an arti, at least make sure it's going to stay put. The last thing the fishing community needs is a bunch of milk crates etc. roaming around... it would make us look pretty bad. Wouldn't be so great for marine life either.
    Last edited by Nic; 22-08-2007 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Extra words

???????? ????????

Quote Originally Posted by stark View Post
    Hi Webby

The bigest problem is where to drop. A GPS spot that won't fill with sand would be nice if such a spot is known.

Cheers
    John

Another way to start a reef is to get off-cuts of pvc pipe. Starting with the largest pipe in the centre and working down in size so the smallest pipes are on the outside, weighted down with besser blocks. A nice little pinnacle. My mates and I have spent countless hours concocting arti. reef ideas. Just haven't had the guts to actually do it. I know of a bloke who LUCKILY (yeah right!) stumbled across an arti. on his sounder, who now has the pleasure of pulling scarlets, blueys in summer, large cod and coral trout. He knows its an arti. cos he pulled up a water pipe. Just another thought to a great thread keep the ideas rolling
    Cheers

A few of these would be awesome.

Thinking about it tho, all the concrete companies have waste concrete they dispose of every day and sometimes an awful lot of it. Maybe a few moulds to pour into would be worth investing in.

We could attach the milk crates on stainless cables in each side instead of the steel vanes if you want.

Jack.
    Last edited by tunaticer; 22-08-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Another idea might be to ask shipping companies to drop thier old and useless shipping containers in one spot.

Plenty of Milk and Bread crates blowing around the Noosa Civic and Maroochydore Shopping centers this morning.

Shame if they would have blown into the sea by accident.

I'm with Dug, (about 1/2 way through). Why aren't the 'authorities' making a few artificial reefs for us so the fish can breed and grow up in them, instead of closing off huge chunks of coastline, often with no reef, and telling us that this is letting the fish breed.

the 'Keys' that extend down from Florida to Key West are all reef, the number of boats there beggar belief, yet there are still plenty of fish.

Our 'marine park' approach is a big con in my book, they should be using our dough from the licences to buy the Besser blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

I have it on no authority but have heard rumours that there was a local to the redlands, possibly a resident of russel that had made his own little arty, down that way. It is highly illegal though

Dave

And just for the record that person on Russell Island Prison Farm is not me.

I am not sure how long it takes for the artificial reef to become any good but if it only takes a few years... could be a worth while private project. Every time you are out there, drop a few bricks or something into the ocean at that exact spot... and before you know it... you'll have your own private reef. :-) until a boat sees you, joins you... along with 10 others and before you know it.. your private reef is public knowledge :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Bob View Post
    Loophole, Nice Box.

Again Ive been talking to Dad about posts here.
    A quick 'back of the envelope' calculation' we came up with this.

Old Falcon. Drop out gearbox & motor. Brake lines too if your are concerned about the oil. Residual weight 800Kg.
    20 litre plastic drums. X 40.
    Tow / trailer Old Falcon to boat ramp, tuesday night.
    Wednesday night lauch boat. Attach empty 20l drums using rope to point like axel & tow rope to Falcon. Roll down boat ramp into water. Tow rope to boat & away you go.
    Get to Arti site. Smash drums.

No Ford / Holden jokes required.
    We did a similar set up but we had the aid of a hi ab and some 110 kg fish farm weights....also the car shell was burnt out..

Cheers Mick

Quote Originally Posted by littlejim View Post
    I'm with Dug, (about 1/2 way through). Why aren't the 'authorities' making a few artificial reefs for us so the fish can breed and grow up in them, instead of closing off huge chunks of coastline, often with no reef, and telling us that this is letting the fish breed.

the 'Keys' that extend down from Florida to Key West are all reef, the number of boats there beggar belief, yet there are still plenty of fish.

Our 'marine park' approach is a big con in my book, they should be using our dough from the licences to buy the Besser blocks.
    The Keys are fed by the gulf stream current that is incredibly rich in nutrients but the reef idea still holds true.

I am a supporter of closed areas and marine parks but the plan has to be a balanced one. If people are willing to spend time and money creating fish habitats then they should be encouraged not prosecuted. If they can prove what is dropped is harmful to the environment then fine! If it helps fish and does no harm WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?????

Old boat trailers would be the go....

Strap the boat on tight, back down the ramp and unhook.

Slowly motor off into the night with the trailer still strapped up under the boat.

When you get to point X just cut the lines and let her go.

- Darren