Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: One Besser Block at a time!

Re: One Besser Block at a time!

It would be a good idea, except if you look a Google earth, water flow in Morton Bay is very complex. The 'experts' have got it wrong many times.

It would be interesting to see if the DPI could actually cooperate with fishos and come up with a plan for reef formation and items we could use to assist. A low cost solution to a new 'Green Zone' reef prehaps?

Cheers
    John
    4.1m Rainwater tank & 50hp4st donk- go the plastic

It can be done...

My Grandfather had some success in this area, out from Hervey Bay.

He used to take a bucket of sand out each time and tip it on the reef.

He persisted for many years, and in the end they even renamed the Great Reefy Straits in honour of his work

Cheers

Pete

I may posibly have made a concrete slab with rope and a bouy attached to it to sit about 6 feet underwater for dollies. It might have been deployed. Unfortunately, I can't tell you if it worked as I had to sell my boat, Thats what I call karma!!! lol

I might have used 3 bags of quickset concrete (60kgs) steel slab mesh and 2 weeks later after horrific conditions, it was still in the same spot.

But I wouldn't do it if I were you!!!

I would organise 4 or so of your mates (don't pick good ones though), take 4 blocks each trip and within 1 year the reef would be quite large, then assasinate 3 mates.

A friend of a friend did a similar thing (on a grander scale) with a couple of old trawlers properly stripped out and safely set in a place where they wouldn't be a navigational hazard down Port Stephens way. Told the authorities after the fact and were given a stern talking to but nothing more as it all passed muster. All the people involved were over qualified for the task and they wore all the costs.

Made it's way onto charts and dive site maps which was fine.The powers that be turned around after checking out that the whole thing was not an enviromental problem waiting to happen and snuck it into the boundaries of the" new marine park".

The boys were not amused because their whole intention was to create a recreational spearfishing site which of course would be a benefit to fisho's also. After experiences like these it makes you want to DIY and keep it dark because they had extensive involvement with the development of the marine park and made sure it was not within the boundaries..... Words fail me!!!

Gleeeza

I have often wondered how many fishing areas would increase and fish stocks improve if there was an organized series of artificial reefs up and down the coast.

Something perhaps we should be nagging governments about?

Plans are underway for waters east of the river
    regards

nah the way the governments are anywhere that is popular or is a habbitat for fish they wana keep us out of
    "True Blue"

Did i say it was govt funded ????

webby the brisbane river right so you mean waters east of mud and south
    "True Blue"

webby i wasnt refering to you it was dug but intresting to know that u didnt say it was government funded.
    "True Blue"

webby good on ya mate if your tryin to create more areas for us recreational anglers to fish with all these bay closures cont me in if i can help
    "True Blue"

Webby can you give out any info or PM. Would be interested in any type of structure improvement in the Bay.

Cheers
    John
    4.1m Rainwater tank & 50hp4st donk- go the plastic