Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: One Besser Block at a time!

Re: One Besser Block at a time!

You would have to pick a hard gravel or rock bottom and somewhere trawlers do not come through and sweep the bottom.
    nah be even funnier if a trawler came through and managed to find a little pile of bricks
    "True Blue"

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Most of us amateurs wouldn't be able to make a very effective arti anyway. In the past DPI has had some failures of their own, with FADs that have filled up with sand and become useless. The 'reef balls' DPI NSW is using seem to be doing OK though (www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/recreational/general/artificial_reefs/photo_gallery)

An arti done properly will hold fish within a matter of weeks, in hervey a few have been put down and mainly nannies come off them in the first month, then a few other fish begin to show within time.

Quote Originally Posted by land-lubber View Post
    An arti done properly will hold fish within a matter of weeks, in hervey a few have been put down and mainly nannies come off them in the first month, then a few other fish begin to show within time.
    It's a real shame that genuine causes such as fish attracting artificial reefs cant be constructed in a responsible manner without the amount of beaurocratic BS you inevitably need to go through to most likely end up being told that it's not going to be allowed or such obstacles put in place that make it unfeasible .
    Just imagine how much tourism inshore arties would attract via the more elderly tinny crowd (as well as locals)along the QLD coast if an artificial reef construction process were a transparent and reasonably attainable exercise. There would also be heaps of appreciative divers out there also.
    On another note i had a visit from 3 EPA field officers just yesterday where 1 of my 11 neighbors has raised a nuisance complaint against me because I cleaned up a creekbank.Unfortunately under the current laws every complaint has to be dealt with and many people are abusing the laws and using them as a form of harrassment.
    Pretty soon I'm going to need a permit just to p!ss in the water.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Most of us amateurs wouldn't be able to make a very effective arti anyway. In the past DPI has had some failures of their own, with FADs that have filled up with sand and become useless. The 'reef balls' DPI NSW is using seem to be doing OK though (www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/recreational/general/artificial_reefs/photo_gallery)
    Nic
    I dont know if you've ever been to Woodgate but along the coast there,there are are a lot of little artificial feefs that started out with old stoves and concrete rubble. They are very productive little reefs with a large variety of species
    The main artificial feef that was built bu the whole community is highly regarded by fishermen and divers.
    It was made out of concrete blocks,old sugar mill bin sides and any other inert object left near the boat ramp by the community.
    cant remember too many EBA shiny arses helping load the barge that was hired to take the rubble out though
    Last edited by mangomick; 18-08-2007 at 02:36 AM.
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

I have it on no authority but have heard rumours that there was a local to the redlands, possibly a resident of russel that had made his own little arty, down that way. It is highly illegal though

Dave

yeh Dave
    has been done up this way, but this guy was useing washing machines really dont no how long they will last thou, has been doing this for many many years and he always seems to come home with a good feed of coral truot

Daz

also cant see anything wrong with a arty reef made out of a besser block being a blocklayer have thought of doing this also
    Last edited by Wahoo; 18-08-2007 at 06:40 AM.

Good luck getting a car out to sink it on the downloaw..."honestly, i just put it in my boat to see what it looks like?Was i going to dump it officer? of course not, now tthats illegal isnt it?"

Id imagine that besser blocks would work well and are not as susceptible as anything metal in the saltwater. It would take alot to work tho, some would be moved around in the current and others would be buried by sand, it'd take a few hundred blocks at least
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    Good luck getting a car out to sink it on the downloaw..."honestly, i just put it in my boat to see what it looks like?Was i going to dump it officer? of course not, now tthats illegal isnt it?"

Id imagine that besser blocks would work well and are not as susceptible as anything metal in the saltwater. It would take alot to work tho, some would be moved around in the current and others would be buried by sand, it'd take a few hundred blocks at least
    Matt
    I should have explained better...burnt out car body....6 *100 kg fish farm weights tied to it...and there might have been a 50 ft boat with a 2 ton crane to help...

Mick

I have often thought of the idea aswell Shayned, just didnt have the guts to ask a similar question as yours . If you decide on giving it a go let me know .

Mickstar

anything that sits on the bottem will eventually get covered by debris and sand becomming useless, unless it is placed in the correct tidal flow which require a fair amount of research and some careful planning, so it really isnt as easy as it seems................ however buoyant items that are anchored to the bottem, seem to .... i mean could possible work similar to FADS just lower in the water column. I suspect water temp (thermoclines) may enhance the effectiveness of any such legendary fishing spot. of course security would be of the upmost importantance as you would not want your rubbish floating all over the sea. and any such marks would quickly become "green zones" if the relevent authorities became aware of such a signifiant habitat area (I think that how they term it if they wish to lock you out) It would be interesting to see if rec made arti's could attract fish in numbers faster than GREEN lobby groups could have them rezoned, either way the fish would win so that cant be bad can it? (let the green tide of abuse begin)

Regards
    BigE

There is that big boat that has been sitting just outside Manly harbor for a while now. If some one could move that into some deeper water it would be a great start .

Cheers Chris

Rightly or wrongly I've always thought about trying to create one, after all isn't there a spot on Hervey Bay called The Washing Machines? I don't know the history of that spot, but it certainly holds fish.

Would be great to have a secret spot # 639 that nobody else knows about.

In this day and age a bit of consideration should go into what's chucked over the side, I've heard rubber tyres are a big no no, which is a pity as they are plentifull. On the other hand, we've all fished a boat/trawler/ship wreck at one time or anothe, people dive on them as well, they certainly provide something for everyone.

Good topic for discussion Shayned.

r.
    Last edited by roz; 18-08-2007 at 01:04 PM.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

How about 90mm stormwater pipe glued together with trawler mesh strung accross is and an anchor attached with stainless cable off each corner holding it 4 feet off the bottom??

I suspect the trawler mesh would attract algae and other growths pretty quickly and being suspended off the seabed it would be providing "shelter".

With the whole thing being in a horizontal plane I think the problem of drift net fishing would be almost totally eliminated.

It would not be an expensive project and each boat could make one per season and drop off at arranged reef locations so in effect the arti would grow quite quickly in size and still be high enough off the bottom to not be covered over with sands.

South of Shark Spit there is a huge tractor tyre set up on large timber stumps and it has often got large fish hanging around that one tyre. Usually kingfish but have seen cobia and snapper hanging around there also. It is in 12-16 feet of water.

Jack.
    Last edited by tunaticer; 18-08-2007 at 01:13 PM.

If you speak nicely to your nearest terractta pot place you will find they regularly un pack pots with large cracks that are unusable. With a little negotiation you can probably aquire these for $0 as they have to be disposed of somehow.
    The big "water jar" style pots or any LARGE pots for that matter are very similiar to reef balls. If you were handy with an angle grinder fitted with a masonry blade you could make them identical to reef balls by the addition of a hole or two( go easy ,cause they spit in half real easy once they have a crack in them)
    Two or three of those every trip will soon build a nice litte habitat,
    Cheap Plentiful ,environmentally stable , easy to transport and handle what more do you want.

Its probably best to lower them to the bottom on 100lb line , dropping a cracked terracotta pot 30 ft 0r more might see you with rubble rather than reef ball
    Last edited by rando; 18-08-2007 at 02:36 PM.

That sure has some merit BUT as always someone would say it can't be done for whatever reason.
    No too sure what would be the best way to tackle this one.

I have also toyed with the idea whist out fishing some of the little reefy patches in front of Redcliffe.

If these new closed areas come into force then it might become a very serious proposition. Well outside the closed areas of couse . And as per the title of this post it would be done 1 block at a time.

Kev