Thread: Mud island

Mud island

Hi,
    I was thinking of heading over to mud island for the first time and was wondering if there is any hazard's I should look out for. Shallow reef's etc.
    Thanks.

Re: Mud island

Take note of the Cardinal beacons on the southern side in particular. It can be shallow behind those. The easterly one is unlit.

There are a few shallow bits around points on the northern end and the western side but generally there is plenty of water around the island.

There is a pearl farm on the western side which you won't miss (in daylight anyway). There is plenty of water depth there but you would not want to anchor in the middle of it.

It is not a bad idea to go there at low tide to see the formations around the island.
    Last edited by charleville; 15-08-2007 at 08:13 PM.

this will help.

I once ran into the shallow section on north east side of mud, went from 8 feet to 8 inches in no time flat, mud is a funny island, like its north, west and eastern sides all meld together.

watch out for 'me-no-v.c.', fishy man who hasn't learn't to drive on collect side of channel yet.

They travel in packs and don't know the road rules. Velly dangerous.

if you stay outside yor cardinal mars you will be safe
    "True Blue"

if you stay outside your cardinal marks you will be safe
    "True Blue"

Thanks for all the info guy's. Hopefully the weather will be alright and I might head over and have a fish.

on a good day just watch out for other boats. always sh...loads out there