Thread: Burley Virgin

Burley Virgin

Ok,
    Yes i admit I'm a burley virgin.
    After going out last weekend i have decided to give burleying a go.
    But I've got no idea on things like what to use, is there a current when burleying is useless, use a burley bucket (sink it) or try and keep the burley floating/ or let it sink naturally.

I fish mainly for estuary/ bay species like bream, flatties, snapper/squire, cod etc.
    In the passage and now starting to venture out into the northern end of the bay.

any advice on the subject would be appreciated.

neil

Re: Burley Virgin

neil, i just do mix, chook pellets, cat food and bit tuna oil. if i dont use it all i just leave it in bucket with lid on till next time

cheers
    greg

Hi Neil,

Everyone has their own methods, so here is mine, which works very well when I'm fishing for vermin (snapper).

Firstly, I save all the bits from the previous trip, that is, unused bait, fish frames...the works. Mix it with stale bread and into a bag and into the freezer, roughly about 500gm lots.

I have a burley cage made out of mesh aprox 10ml, would be about the size of a 10 litre bucket perhaps a bit smaller... just to give you an idea.

I made it myself with stuff from the hardware tiewire etc. won't cost you much at all. One end would have to open up.

I then attach about 12 or so metres of rope and mark each metre length with tape.

When I anchor up to fish, I only have to place one packet of the still frozen burley into the burley cage, making sure you make some good sized holes in the bag first. One bag lasts about 45 minutes...aprox.

Then lower the burley cage over the side to the preferred depth.

The spot I fish is about 18 metres deep, and there is usually not a lot of current, so I lower the cage down about 5 metres. I can then cast out my unweighted pilchards and be fairly confident they are drifting down the current with the burley.

Some thing I forgot to mention. You will need to keep a rock, about a kilo in weight in the cage, as the cage and burley by themselves won't stay down under the boat.

This method works brilliantly for me, I learned it from the guys I used to fish with at Kingscliff (out on the local), they pulled in excellent fish. Also make sure you have no gaps that will allow the bags to float out....

Hope that helps.

One thing is certain I never anchor up and fish without using burley...

cheers roz.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

ive been using bread crumbs or chook pellets mixed with bit of sand ,water and tuna oil . freeze it in those 3 litre milk containers . the way i use it is simply cut a few holes into the side and tie it to the boat or wharf so that the wave action can disperse the burley . this burley atracts baitfish which inturn atracts larger preditors .ive used this method for 30 years and works for me .

cheers

lie loud enough and for long enough and eventualy the masses will believe you

hi neil,
    make sure you keep all of your old bait, frames, crab shells, prawn shells etc. you can get a 20kg bag of chook pellets from the produce store for bugger all, i put the ingredients in a metal bucket and smash up with a burley muncher. have tried mincers etc and got sick of unblocking them and i recon they brake it down too fine. depending on where i am going to be using the burley, sometimes i put tuna oil in, sometimes leave it out, i find tuna oil attracts the toothy critters a bit more.
    as far as depth, depends on what you are chasing, the weight of your burley and current. as long as your bait is with your burley you will be right, don't be afraid to put a big tough bait on (whole squid) and let the little ones knock it around for awhile, often a bigger fish will come and investigate and grab an easy feed.
    a piece of 90mm pvc pipe with a screw on end makes a good burley bucket, you can throw a few sinkers in if you want to go a bit deeper.
    i am working on a gadget to make burley sausages, mainly to make life easier to keep a few in the freezer.
    good luck
    cheers
    dazza

Thanks guys.

Just one last question is there a current that you believe it would be a waist of time burleying.
    Or do you work on the theory the more current the further the burley trail goes.

thanks

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    neil, i just do mix, chook pellets, cat food and bit tuna oil. if i dont use it all i just leave it in bucket with lid on till next time

cheers
    greg

Spot on greg works great just chook pellets tuna oil and bread leave over night not bad as well cheers

We make about 100kg of burley up at a time....Chook / and fish farm pellets...red bait oil...old crayfish shells...atlantic salmon mashed up....old bread from the bakery....and stir it all up...we freeze ours in about 3 kg lots then place the frozen bags into hessian bags when we use them...either tied to the anchor line or behind the boat...
    Cheers Mick

hi neil,
    i find if the current picks up a bit, this is when i use a bit heavier burley. i tend to make a fairly dry mix and wet down to the consitency required. most times i put my burley mix in a bucket in the boat and hand feed it over the side. add a bit of water, if i want a lighter burley i don't add much water, if the current is up a bit i add a bit more water and let the burley get heavier as it absorbs the water.

if the current is really roaring it can be a waste if time as the burley will end up miles away. you can anchor up a bit further away than you normally would to get your baits in the burley trail, may take a bit of re anchoring and stuffing around but the results can be worth it, or attach your burley bomb to your anchor rope at the desired depth
    cheers
    dazza

G'day Neil, I've been using chopped up pillies, bone dust (from butchers bandsaw) and tuna oil. I make a big bucket up, I usually put some in a burley bucket with sinkers and every now and again I'll release a scoopfull into the water. I usually fish saturday mornings so a mate and I usually sit in the shed on friday nights making it up with a few beers and friday night footy on the tele...It's kinda good, The burley keeps the wifes away from us while the footy is on but attracts the fish the next day.. win-win.
    Cheers TT
    ________
    COACH PURSES

Quote Originally Posted by snelly1971 View Post
    We make about 100kg of burley up at a time....Chook / and fish farm pellets...red bait oil...old crayfish shells...atlantic salmon mashed up....old bread from the bakery....and stir it all up...we freeze ours in about 3 kg lots then place the frozen bags into hessian bags when we use them...either tied to the anchor line or behind the boat...
    Cheers Mick
    Mick

I've read often on this site about people tying burley distributors of various kinds to the anchor line when they want to get it down low. In deeper water I'd have thought the anchor was too far away from the baited hook, especially if you follow the principle of letting out anchor rope to 3 times your depth. Must work for you though.

Honkey

I'm about to make a burley dumper out of a piece of 75mm PVC pipe maybe 45 cms long. It will have two lines to it - 1 to the bottom and the other to the top. If I want to tip burley I'll let it down with the top line and trip it by pulling up on the line attached to the bottom and jiggle the small amount of burley on the spot. It will be encouraged to drop vertically by a sash window weight tied inside the tube (or maybe outside on the underneath of the tube) I will also drill holes in it since its likely that I will often decide to simply let it sit down there in which case it would have a cap on both ends rather than just at the bottom.

FWIW

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_N View Post
    Mick

I've read often on this site about people tying burley distributors of various kinds to the anchor line when they want to get it down low. In deeper water I'd have thought the anchor was too far away from the baited hook, especially if you follow the principle of letting out anchor rope to 3 times your depth. Must work for you though.

Honkey

I'm about to make a burley dumper out of a piece of 75mm PVC pipe maybe 45 cms long. It will have two lines to it - 1 to the bottom and the other to the top. If I want to tip burley I'll let it down with the top line and trip it by pulling up on the line attached to the bottom and jiggle the small amount of burley on the spot. It will be encouraged to drop vertically by a sash window weight tied inside the tube (or maybe outside on the underneath of the tube) I will also drill holes in it since its likely that I will often decide to simply let it sit down there in which case it would have a cap on both ends rather than just at the bottom.

FWIW

Tony
    We dont let out 3 times our depths...say we are in 80 fathom we let out 100 fathom.....and yes it seems to work very well...

Cheers Mick

Quote Originally Posted by HONKY DORY View Post
    Thanks guys.

Just one last question is there a current that you believe it would be a waist of time burleying.
    Or do you work on the theory the more current the further the burley trail goes.

thanks

neil
    I only use burley when I anchor, so if there is a raging current your bait is not likely to get anywhere near the bottom & anchoring up would be a pain anyway.

Having said that, I do drift fish, but depending on the wind, your burley might travel in the opposite direction to your boat......if ya get my drift

Besides, I seem to have success trolling when the current is on.

r
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

what no-one uses """"wheat"""" anymore????????????

when the burley cooker comes out of the back shed,,,,mrs choppa,,,, chopjr,,,,sonx 2,,,,d/ters x 2,,,, and even the neighbours disappear for a few hours,,,, luckily its only every so often

(or when i want some peace and quite)

my mix is much the same as those above,,, however i stew mine in the pot and let it cook down,,,, wheat,,,,fish frames,,,,bread,,,,shell,,,, guts,,,,, the lot AND tuna oil

once cooled i freeze mine in either 1 litre or 600ml milk cartons,,,, this doubles up as you can use the empty carton once the burley has been used as a garbage collector for line/waste etc etc,,, andf then flatten them to save space and stuff cluttering up the floor area

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

double post
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE