Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: under sized fish

under sized fish

Set off to barwon banks on thursday morning the 9th only to find to my discussed approx 15 well and truely under sized snapper/squire and a number of parrot fish frames lulling about in the water near the walk/way ramp to the pontoon.

What is to become of this senceless taking of under sized fish.

I think the penalities need to be hasher .
    It needs to get through to these thick heads if you take take take undersized fish then there will be nothing left to take
    what r your thoughts fellow Ausfishers on hasher penalities, and what should they be. Be realistic of course.

Re: under sized fish

while harsher penalties sound good, they are useless if they cannot be enforced. How would have harsher penalties have stopped those people, who got clean away with it. More fisheries officers, and better education. You would be surprised how many people just fish occasionally and have no idea of the rules.

Goddy

Harsher penalties... Fine...
    Education....Fine
    But would it have happened if Fisheries Patrol Officers (or an equivalent organisation) (now there's a pertinent query) were on hand at the ramp to check??
    They have Neighbourwood Watch....why not Boat Ramp Watch. (i know it sounds silly but !!!}

I agree with bigger fines and more Fisheries Officers as i have nothing to hide when i come back to the ramp.
    I remember some posts not so long ago about blokes whinging about fisheries and getting fined and so on but if you have it all in place you wouldn't worry about a bigger enforcement.
    Graeme

Totally agree Graham ,however the neighbourhood watch is not such a bad idea as one would only be protecting the future of our beloved sport .
    cheers Terry

I too would be dissappointed in seeing such disrespect for our environment.

How about if we introduce licences like NSW. I would be happy to pay a fee. This may inject enough funds for greater fisheries patrols.

* Ever wondered why you don't see fisheries officers around brisbane & moreton bay on weekends?? - Because the budget only allows Pinkenba fisheries officers to work weekdays only!!!!

I remember seeing a show on NZ fishing, and that they employed fishermen to police the waterways. Maybe something like that here??

Quote Originally Posted by Dantren View Post
    * Ever wondered why you don't see fisheries officers around brisbane & moreton bay on weekends?? - Because the budget only allows Pinkenba fisheries officers to work weekdays only!!!!
    Yep - well said.

They dont even have enough money to fuel the boats to patrol where they want too - more Beattie magic.

just a quick note ... if you see someone doing the wrong thing take down all the particulars you can,even photos and dob these people in to the relevent agentcies .licence plate numbers so they can be identefied .i have been told that these departments DO act on reports but they need evedence not just h i saw these people doing this ' [ i know this was not the case here] i willingly pay for a fishing licence in the beliefe that more inspectors are being employed do deal with sort of behavior.[ as you can see i cant spell ] .

lie loud enough and for long enough and eventually the masses will believe you

I eported a fish shop at Sunnybank for having all these mud crab claws. They looked like female crab claws. You know a bit shallower in width and shorter in length. It turns out that they got them from new south wales. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. But the fisheries did go out to inspect.

I think that the fines are prettymuch fine the way they are.
    What needs to be done through all the states is a higher officer presence. Its just like speeding,the fines arent really that great, but you only need to be wacked once or twice and you soon learn.
    The neighbourhood watch seems best but once again, i dont know of any organisation that could provide insurance, the relevant legalities of it all and the blanket coverage that the idea needs.
    Personally i wouldnt want to be putting in place my name or company or organisation on a group of what, when it comes down to it, are vigilantes. I can easily see blokes, either in the right or wrong getting the sh!t bashed out of them. Both the neighbbourhood watch guys and the boaties.
    Matt

educaion is the key
    they can put a couple of signs at popular spots that inform poeple of what fish are around and what regulations are in force
    seen some out west with protected species

surely they could afford to have signs put up in popular parks backing onto waterways and jettys etc, with a list and piccys of the most commonly caught fish species and there corresponding size/bag limits.
    Kind of like the surf life saving signs you see that descibe where to swim, what the flags mean and the dangers of the surf, all printed in a few different languages too.
    .......Ash

Hi Adrian, I just do not understand why this happens it's the few that wreck it for the many!!!!!

Those caught should have their gear and boat taken off of them for a period of time and a heavy fine they may start to take things more serious!!!!

Did you get many fish ????
    Peter :cool:

no matter what the fines are or even if they had a boat ramp watch ,there will always be people flouting the law & getting away with it . gives good law abiding fishermen a bad name ........
    cheers fae haggis......................................