Thread: a bit of history

a bit of history

It may have done before however watched it today on TV so it must be true and it was imformative, What is the Cambus Wallas ?

http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/t_st....aspx?pid=4455

Re: a bit of history

This is the Cambus Wallace all 1691 tons of it.

Cambus Wallace
    The Cambus Wallace was a 245ft steel barque of 1691 tons built in Port Glasgow in 1894. In the early morning of the 3rd September 1894, the Cambus Wallace ran aground in the heavy seas near a narrow stretch of Stradbroke Island called Tuleen. Most of the crew managed to swim to shore, but five men drowned.
    The ship broke up where she struck and most of the cargo was washed ashore and plundered by local residents. During the subsequent cleanup, explosives from the cargo were piled up and deliberately detonated on the beach. Shortly afterwards waves caused by a large storm swept through the narrow neck of sand and formed the Jumpinpin Passage splitting Stradbroke Island into two islands. The damage to the beach and sand dunes caused by the explosions was blamed for the weakening of the sand dunes, which allowed the sea to sweep in.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

I'm a bit sceptical about the theory that the explosives opened up Jumpinpin. Depending on which records you believe, it was either 2 or 4 years after the explosives were detonated, that the channel opened up, a long time where sand and beaches are concerned.

Sea Dog posted a link to a publication by some hydrologists, on here some time ago, which went into the whole thing in detail. They reckoned the inside channel was eating away at the sandspit well before the Cambus Wallace was wrecked and that cyclonic seas eventually finished it off. Interestingly they also reckoned that Jumpinpin had been open about 6000 years before, when the sea level was a bit higher than now.

Being an alien (Zimbabwean- landlocked) I was watching the same program on the weekend, absolutley fascinating stuff!! Never realised the island was once two islands, then one island and then back to two... Will be checking the museum when I get back.
    Anyone see the section on the "rain-gun" invented in the good old days when they were trying to "kill" another drought? Shooting something strange into the sky... I know in Sth Africa some of the farmers have taken buckets of iron filings up in their crop dusters and seeded the clouds themselves!