Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any tips for Sea Sickness?

Re: Any tips for Sea Sickness?

LMFAO- Catch more fish- I love it!!! Ahh wiping tears from me eyes. Good on ya mate!
    Did a charter outta Cronulla a while back and if you don't take the Travacalm in time, Beez Neez beer sure gets rid of the barf taste. (VB is like drinking your berley again- NOT advisable!)

I am a chronic upchucker out wide and always have been. Got no brains you see.... I keep going out there. Anyways about 5 yrs ago i struck on something odd... have a good chuckup and empty the bilge out, then grab a handfull of Twisties and scoff them down. Within about 40 seconds your desire to chuck will be gone. I ALWAYS carry a bag of twisties out now, as a matter of fact my tacklebox has a dedicated section for a bag of twisties and I always replace the bag when i get back on dry land.

So these days ppl cant really use my old callsign of Perkolator out around tempest but they still do.

No bullshit try it.

Jack.

Went outside today for a run, 7 hrs later not a tickle of being sick.
    Answer, started on ginger tablets yesterday lunch x 2, one every 3 hrs after that and one thismorning before leaving home. Wrist bands on at the ramp and a top day running around. That's a big call from me.
    Graeme

Most of my fishing is done outside in small boats , one thing I have found over the years is its better to wait another 15 minutes at the ramp till nature calls , then to bake a turd all day, find if I don’t empty out of one Orpheus it will come out the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyh View Post
    Hey Paul (Big Ren),
    where do you get avomine?
    cheers, Mike

Hi Mike

You should be able to get it from your local pharmacy. You should take it the night before you go out. It can cause drowsinessmake some people drowsy, but if you take it the night before, then you should be right for the next 24 hours or so.

Hope it helps...I think there are some old threads about its effectiveness...just do a search for Avomine.

Cheers
    Paul

Just did a Google search for Avomine and came up with this.

Cheers
    Paul

Avomine

Generic Name: Promethazine theoclate
    Product Name: Avomine
    Indication of Avomine:

Avomine is used in the prevention and treatment of motion sickness. It has also been used in the treatment of nausea and vomiting due to other causes, including:
    - Gastroenteritis (eg. food poisoning).
    - Vestibular disorders.
    - Drug intolerance.
    - Migraine.
    - Infectious diseases.
    - Radiation therapy.

Action of Avomine:

Promethazine is an antihistamine agent. It blocks histamine receptors in the stomach to prevent nausea and vomiting due to a number of causes. It also has sedative and other effects that may contribute to its anti-nausea effect.

Dose Advice of Avomine:

Adults:
    Travel sickness prevention:
    - Long journeys: Take one tablet at bedtime each night beginning the night before the journey commences.
    - Short journeys: Take one tablet 1-2 hours before the journey commences.

Treatment of travel sickness:
    - Take one tablet immediately and another that same evening.
    - Take a third tablet on the following evening.
    - Additional tablets can be taken when needed.
    - More than 4 tablets in 24 hours is unlikely to be necessary.

Nausea and vomiting due to other causes:
    - Take one tablet and repeat as required.
    - 1 tablet at bedtime is often sufficient.
    - No more than 4-6 tablets should be taken in 24 hours.

Children:
    3-5 years:
    - One quarter of the corresponding adult dose.

5-10 years:
    - Half of the corresponding adult dose.

Over 10 years:
    - Corresponding adult dose.

Hey mate Mal de Mer is no fun, you have never been really sick until you have been really sea sick and I have been. The secret weapon is a drug called Hyoscine developed by Nasa for austronauts, the best way to use is a skin patch called SCOPS, I think you need a Doctors prescription but it is more than worth it. I usually get better the longer I am on the water, if I am doing a lot of boating I do not need the patches but if I have been off the water for a while look out.
    Hope this helps

An old trick my dad taught me is to chuck once then pour a small bucket of sea water down the back of your neck (the colder the water, the better), sets me right in no time. Should give it a go if you don't mind getting a bit wet and cold and the best part is it doesn't cost anything.

I used to use this all the time fishing off Port Kembla and Shellharbour in NSW, no matter what the season, eventually I stopped getting sick at all, mainly cos I didn't want a cold bucket of water down my neck.

Gotta keep him busy, much for the same reason the driver in a car never gets sick, if hes doing something rather than just sitting there fighting the roll of the swell then he shouldnt get sick.

A mate of mine took a young bloke out in the boat deep reef fishing and the kid started to look a bit green so my mate tied a bucket to the end of a line and let it sink to the bottom. A few moments later he called the kid over and told him he had a fish on the other end of the line. The whole time he spent winding the bucket in he wasnt sick at all, but he was a bit disapointed/embarrassed when he landed it.

Giner tablets are pretty effective - but more so is Queels (think that is how it is spelt) - don't quote me, but I think you take one tablet at least 12 hours before going out WITH FOOD - and then another a few hours before going out WITH FOOD.

Taken without food or just before you head out and I am reliably informed that these tablets have the opposit effect. Havent tried that yet - but might the next time my father in law wants to come out with me
    Tight lines, Look Cool - Act Cool - Be Cool

Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.5 meter

I agree with Pistol Pete travel calm in the blue and white box does the trick. I personally have suffer terribly from seasickness almost to the point of selling the boat. But now with taking 1 travelcalm as I leave the harbour no problems with seasickness has occured. I also believe that once you have been seasick once there is always that question in the back of your mind am I going to get sick this time. You have to work through that feeling and the best way is to keep going fishing,you won't get over the problem until you get out there and do it. Regards Basil2

Right, next trip I'm going out with a peg on one ear, cotton wool in the other, a bag of twisties and a block of dairy milk. Tablets are no good for me, I've tried a few different ones, I either still get sick or end up off my chops.
    Willing to try anything!!
    Thanks for the tips!!
    Cheers Kim.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

Well flex i have to report that i went out on wednesday to the 36s of gc and your trick loocking at the horizon did not work i still got sick .
    Oh well back to the drawing board i will keep investigating .
    I will have to try some of the other things here
    Peter

I spent 5 years at Sea on the HMAS Sydney, and a mate of mine got sick every single day-without fail.
    Nothing seemed to work, but he loved being at sea so much, he just accepted the fact he would get sick once each day.
    When the seas were huge, and 70% of the ship gets sick, the boys have to carry around a garbage bag because there is still work which needs to be done.
    That probably doesn't help too much, but it can be a real bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    My mate had tried everything and I mean everything, so he was desperate one day and was told by a herbalist (or someone like that) that a clothes line peg, pegged to your right ear lobe will fix the problem, something to do with pressure points, next time we went out i had 'peg goose' with me and he felt better than me!!! ever since then i always carry a few pegs in the boat and it hasn't failed yet. try it, it works.......just go to a slightly less crowded reef!!
    just checking back to see if anyone tried the peg trick???
    gee i hope so as it was 100% untrue I just hoped someone would head out to sea with a peg on their ear!!!!! Sorry, Sean