Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for Sea Sickness?

Re: Any tips for Sea Sickness?

Used to get crook as soon as i got out the heads I fished pro for a few years and got crook each time i went out but it lasted a few day and i would be right. I then gave it up and now i head out i have a green lable travell calm the night before and one a hour before i go with a healthy breakfast and a banana right as rain.

Bananas are good for sea sickness

Have heard that munching on a green apple can do you the world of good as it apparently restores the pH balance in your stomach.

On the subject of drugs, Avomine (sic) appears to be a beauty...used by the Navy.

Cheers
    Paul

I used to be a big chucker years back and no doubt there will be times when it will probably happen again....for me it is just part of the ocean which I really love. Really envious of the real sea dogs who can eat greasy food, grog on and never even look affected in huge seas.
    If I havent been to sea for ages I will get sick if it is pretty rough although I am the reverse of 4x4frog's mate - never been sick in my own boat....maybe it is the constant worrying about everything with bloody boats.

If I am at sea a lot I get used to it and seem much better. When I first stared scuba years ago I would always get sick...tried the bands, acupressure point in web of skin between thumb and 1st finger....didnt really work (probably placebo anyway). I reckon Kwells, Travacalm are pretty good. Maybe I am weird however if I start feeling seedy I feel 100% better if I can lie down.
    Dunco's idea about weight..not so sure...I have been the same weight for nearly 15 years (73kg) and I was just as sick years ago when I was probably a bit lighter. It is a bloody curse and you really wish you were dead......

Hey Paul (Big Ren),
    where do you get avomine?
    cheers, Mike

don't know what avomine is but sounds like an antihistamine, not what I'd want the skipper to be taking, drowsiness, etc.
    I've been the officer responible for handing out drugs on ships before, and we carried Kwells, and I've had to dish them in copious amounts at times. If the sufferer has done lots of up & unders, they need to replace electrolytes, salts and sugars and fluids. Dry bickies, bread etc is OK to refill as there isn't anything to upset the stomach. Some people can be distracted and the sea sickness goes away, some with an inner ear balance problem can't be fixed, only medicated.

The best cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree for about half an hour.
    Do or do not ,
    there is no try.

- Yoda

One of the guys that used to come with me used to get seasick all the time, when he started going green I would put him at the helm for a while, looking at the horizon I suppose. One one occasion he forgot his travel calms (or what ever he was taking), said I had some old pills in the cab and he could have one of them, give him the pill and he was fine all day, it was part of an old asprin. Go figger. Ater that I told him it was all in his head, I have never told him what he took and still smile to my swlf about it.
    Only ever spewed once my self, fishing 6m seas/swells and a fuel drums stored in the cab that leaked and had to go in and sort them out. Only in the cab about 30 seconds before I started feeling green. By the time I got out, it was head over the side. Then I had a good feed and a coffee and felt ok again.
    Do feel sorry for people that get green, just dont tell them.
    cheers
    blaze

Thanks guy's ill try a trial and error session over the next few months. If none of them work ill try all at once with him(this could be amusing!).

Thanks again everyone for the tips

Cheers Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I do exactly what Tropicaltrout does but with Kwells. One the night before and one when I wake up. No alcohol helps. Kwells makes me drowsy and it dehydrates you. Forget the natural stuff. I tend to only get sick if I'm fishing outside the Bay.
    I've noticed most of mates that don't get sick fish standing up. This might reduce the balance thing. Best I saw tackling sea-sickness was a bloke on a charter trip who was throwing up over the side as he fished and washed his mouth by downing a beer. Didn't phase him in the least. Good Luck

Well everyone on here knows what i am like at sea, spew chuck chunder.
    I love going out so i just put up with it but have found ginger tablets, ginger beer and tried wrist bands two weeks ago and only had 2 little heaves and then we had smoko. Not bad for me.
    I find the more often i go out the better i am.
    No so long ago every time i went out i was getting violently sick and i mean sick but then i got really sick at home for a while and couldn't go to work.
    Now i am over that, a long lead up to getting shingles, i feel really keen on getting out there and not having second thoughts which was making me feel sick before going.
    Graeme

One tip I can give you is to have a good dinner the night before and an early night,dont sit up with yor mates on the grog all night. Both me and my deckie made that mistake. We went out this morning looking for a good snapper session but both let go with the gut berley. It wasnt pretty, I'm still feeling it now 14 hours later.
    Cheers TT
    ________
    Free Kmart Gift Cards

I dont suffer too much thankfully, I get a bit queasy in a big sea.

Eyes on the horizon and a couple of bourbons seems to work.

I think my body just thinks "jeez I'm pissed, that's why I am wobbling" and it seems pretty normal to it after that.

I'm lucky though. Some blokes like my old boss try everything and nothing works.

Smile Re: Any tips for Sea Sickness?

Hi

I was Captain Burley on our boat until an old English Merchant Seaman told me about chocolate. Apparently he was issued a ration of chocolate each day for seasickness. I know it sounds bizzare, but trust me it works. Mr Sailfisher would take me out (and yes I tried all the tablets, bands etc and even had prescription drugs, but nothing worked) and always, just as the fish stated biting I would be beggng him to take me home. Now, I can stay out for hours and am really enjoying what used to be a nightmare.

DON'T let your self actually get sick before you eat it. As soon as you feel even the tiniest bit off, suck on a couple of squares and you will be amazed at the result. It will probably be another hour or so before you will need to do this again. Most times now, I don't even need to have any when we are out, but I always take it just in case.

I also always take a thermos of hot sweet tea and some vegemite sangas. I was never even able to look at food before, but now I am like a human vaccuum cleaner. But who cares, just as long as there is no seasicknes!

Cheers
    Mrs Sailfisher

Yeah I dont think there is any cure but find that if you have enough food on board so that after each barf you can eat then you can keep fishing, the only time it bothers me is when the food runs out and you start dry reaching
    The burley really does improve the catch
    yours barfingly

My mate had tried everything and I mean everything, so he was desperate one day and was told by a herbalist (or someone like that) that a clothes line peg, pegged to your right ear lobe will fix the problem, something to do with pressure points, next time we went out i had 'peg goose' with me and he felt better than me!!! ever since then i always carry a few pegs in the boat and it hasn't failed yet. try it, it works.......just go to a slightly less crowded reef!!