Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

Re: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

OH and no, not the Brisbane area, the South Coast of NSW where BIG Kingfish live, and even bigger Yellowfin!

Ahhh ok, i see what you're saying now noelm.
    Sorry if i sounded offensive.
    If you are fishing for these fish regularly, i can promise you that you're penn wouldnt last a fornight. At the shop i had a group of guys go out first time jigging with penns and came in the next morning at sparrows fart to get new gear. 2 of them got the upgraded spheros with stella handle and drag washers and the other one just got the stella.
    They are primarily aimed at the jigging market and for BIG powerful fish such as gt's which are unstoppable on conventional tackle
    Im off to go spinning, vent some frustration
    Matt

I agree on the mitchell in regular use on jew and midsize kings but have seen mitchells fall apart on fish (probably due to the 20 odd years they've had on the rocks)

Watched a great DVD recently where guys are jigging for big Samson's off the W.A. coast.All the fish were taken on proper reels [overhead's]. At the end of the film,a guy hooks up on a Saltiga and gets spooled convincingly.Spinning reels were designed for mugs that couldn't cast properly with overhead gear.I love spinning reels for ultra light luring,but that's it.
    Last edited by spinyeel; 14-08-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Some very valid points made, i can totally respect some of you guys that are catching the 20-30-40kg fish everyweek end, and want to do it in comfort, and knowing nothing will go wrong? if all the other equipment holds up that is.

Now my next question, regarding these reels and jigging?

If its quality and comfort you guys are after, wouldnt it be a better option to buy an overhead to handle these sorts of fish? Or its no good jigging with overheads? Is it more practical to use a spinning reel for jigging?

One thing i am impressed about is the gear ratio of these reels, minus the 20000

stella 10000 fa has a ratio of 6 : 1

stella 20000 fa has a ratio of 4.4 : 1

saltiga dog fight has a ratio of 6.2 : 1

Both overheads and spinning reels are used for jigging, it really makes no difference.
    Having been hooked up on both i actually found the spinning reel easier to fight with.
    The only trouble ive had when jigging with an overhead was the rod twisting when you have a solid fish trying to reef you.
    Its funny you say that spinyeel because the larger stellas have more capacity than the saltiga overheads if im not mistaken (but dont take my word for it, thats just off the top of my head)
    And the drag washers are very similar in size.
    Matt

Seems every one has talked about big size reels used for jigging with plenty of drag pressure. What about with the little spinning reels say a 2500 used for bream/snapper is spending double on something like a stella over a stradic/twinpower or a tierra/sol going to land you more fish if your running 4lb line with a coulpe of pound drag?

Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    never said that those fish are NOT around, I have caught them myself, I was just stating that some of the posters here have just dished up what they have seen on TV and adds, and except for my Stella, I guess they are great reels, but I STILL reckon they are not woth the money, lets use the old Spinfisher as a benchmark, because that seems to be what all the other posters are saying they have, has ANYONE had one fail for any reason on a fish(except neglect or run over by a car or something)then we will see if they are worth the huge price they ask for them, someone way back said let me see you catch a 20KG Kingie on a Spinfisher, so I asked him for his last 20KG kingy on HIS Stella, never got an answer, thats all I am saying, not that you cannot catch those fish, you can!
    The Spinfisher is very much a case of a company (Penn) producing a fair product and resting on it's laurels,their achilles heel is without doubt the anti reverse, though the reel is not noted for it's high drag capability the dog fails none the less when the reel is fished hard,time will tell if the chinese can remedy this,but for the main they are heavy,rough and unballanced and generaly suited to general bait fishing with the odd trophy fish thrown in.Are the Saltiga/stella worth the money? I guess that's relative to the sort of fishing you are doing and what you expect, very much horses for courses, all gear will eventualy fail/wear out,the decision is a personal one.

Quote Originally Posted by bayfisher View Post
    Seems every one has talked about big size reels used for jigging with plenty of drag pressure. What about with the little spinning reels say a 2500 used for bream/snapper is spending double on something like a stella over a stradic/twinpower or a tierra/sol going to land you more fish if your running 4lb line with a coulpe of pound drag?

Cheers Chris
    Spending over a grand on an outfit to catch 30cm Bream just shows how unstable peoples minds are.It's like buying a custom made Samurai sword to trim your hedges.

Reality check spinyeel, you would have to be unstable to spend over a grand on a Stella 2500 when they sell for $550-600 , and Saltigas don't get spooled if the drag is wound up , 'the line breaks'. Get a Samurai rod not a sword .

Quote Originally Posted by spinyeel View Post
    Spending over a grand on an outfit to catch 30cm Bream just shows how unstable peoples minds are.It's like buying a custom made Samurai sword to trim your hedges.
    If you cant afford it so be it but dont bag out others because they can and do.Quality is quality, shit is shit it doesent change.

Lets end this nonsense here,nothing ever changes.

Graham

I think spinyeel used the word outfit, throw in a loomis rod and braid and backing and you probably over a grand. I guess the question I was asking was in those little outfits some thing in the $200 to $300 region will buy an absolute top notch reel is there any need to spend double that on a stella or a diawa morethan branzino (which is around the $700 mark) to catch bream or squire.?

Cheers Chris

Bayfisher as previously mentioned, you are paying for quality.
    The stradics/twinpower/sol/tierra are great reels but once again, they dont have precision cut gears and once again, they are les quality.
    If you read the whole thread it states about the inner mechanics of them.
    The smaller stellas will last. They are just THAT much better.
    Pick one up and spin the handle, then pick up a stradic or sol and you will feel the difference. then pick up both reels in 10 years and see which one is still spinning. Im sure the stradic/sol would be in better nick but only because you havent touched it since the first year and the stella has been in your hands every time you go fishing

Precision cut gears and more bearing are great and yes i have played with a Diawa steez and agree they are better quality and feel nice but your unlikely to catch any more fish because of them, They may even last 10 years but its highly unlikely any one will still be using them in 10 years most people update there gear pretty regularly, I have top notch diawa bait caster thats about 10years old and it feels very ordinary when compared to a cheap $100 reel these days. I find it hard to justify to myself at least, spending $600 to $700 dollars on reel that in the end wont really be out preformed by a $200 to $300 reel.

Cheers Chris

Then of course you will need a rod capable of handling that type of drag pressure. $$$ Blue Rose perhaps.

If you can afford to throw money at your gear then why not. As for me

Dave.
    Last edited by dogsbody; 15-08-2007 at 05:05 PM.
    Avast ye matey!