Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

Re: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

Bayfisher-Chris,you"ve made up your mind already why ask?

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by grave41 View Post
    Bayfisher-Chris,you"ve made up your mind already why ask?

Graham
    To see if people felt the same when it comes to the little reels. Most of the talk has been about dragging big fish out of the deep when jigging etc,and if that was my scene i wouldn't hesitate at buying either of the reels because they are top quality stuff and designed for that. However 90% of the fishing i do is light sp stuff and for that i cant seem to see a whole heap of difference between sol and a stella. Like i said just seeing what other people out there think?

Cheers Chris

Smile Re: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

The point of this thread bayfisher was $1000 Stellas and Saltigas compared to Spinfifher 9500 and Baitrunners etc, what you are talking about in lite SP fishing should be a totally different thread altogether, where the $1000HD reels are not needed. Start a thread on lite SP reels, it should be interesting.

But the smaller sized stellas ARENT 1000$$
    They are about $550-600. Which isnt all the different from the sustains and sol etc.
    Ask yourself what makes a sol better tahn the model below it. Or what makes the sustainbetter than the aernos or sahara...
    Matt

Bronzefisher, its not a matter of wether YOU as an individual will catch more fish by simply using them, its a matter of an angler who DOES catch alot of fish who likes to fish in comfort. To draw another comparison, i like to snowboard but i only go once every year or second year, so i only have a mediocre board about $500 while guys who hit the slopes every day have $1000+ boards

strangely enough, the oldest reel I have and the one that gets knocked around the most is an old Shakespear Sigma, the one with the ceramic lip on the spool, not too sure how old it is, but I use it on the beach (which is hell on a reel) around the rocks for drummer, and still take it in the boat even now, probably a quite cheap reel in it's day, but has performed faultlessly for years, it's biggest fish was a 51KG Yellowfin taken while fishing for Snapper on 10KG line and a 4/0 suicide hook with a half Pilchard, kind of puts doubt in the "need 50KG of drag, 100 bearings and super line" to catch a decent fish though doesn't it? mind you I doubt that I would target Yellowfin with it, that is just the way it happened.

Thumbs up Re: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

The 1980s Sigmas were by far the best Shakespear reels ever, I had two of the big 8/0 models and a 4/0 Whisker Titan [ceramic lip], they weren't exactly cheap Noelm, but weren't Stellas either.

Jesus this is a funny read.....

You have blokes on here saying how stupid it is to spend $1000 on a light spinning set up....Why is it stupid???
    My light spinning set up cost me near $700 and have never once thought...'shit what a waste of money'.....I would use on average four times a week and use it to chase trevally,bream,flatties,jacks and every other species you chase on plastics and lures.
    How can you say its a waste of money.....Why would you go and buy some crap from kmart that would last you two months and is not enjoyable to use.
    Christ heaps of blokes would spend $300 at the pub every week.....What do they have to show for their money.....a big gut!!!

If you wanna chase BIG GT's and BIG amberjack then the ONLY reels for the Job are the Stellas and Saltigas.......Nothing even compares to them!....Its that simple.There are NO other reels that can cope with the drag pressures these reels offer and there are many rods that can deal with this too.
    Of course you will catch more fish using them because for one the reel will last........sure you will might get away with catching a couple of nice amerjack on a Spheros or something similar but something will give quickly if you are catching serious fish.Have a look at some of the fish Nomad etc have stopped on these reels....I would love to see someone handle one of them on something bought from K-mart......HA HA!!!!.............

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    strangely enough, the oldest reel I have and the one that gets knocked around the most is an old Shakespear Sigma, the one with the ceramic lip on the spool, not too sure how old it is, but I use it on the beach (which is hell on a reel) around the rocks for drummer, and still take it in the boat even now, probably a quite cheap reel in it's day, but has performed faultlessly for years, it's biggest fish was a 51KG Yellowfin taken while fishing for Snapper on 10KG line and a 4/0 suicide hook with a half Pilchard, kind of puts doubt in the "need 50KG of drag, 100 bearings and super line" to catch a decent fish though doesn't it? mind you I doubt that I would target Yellowfin with it, that is just the way it happened.
    Noelm its a silly comparison....
    BIG yellowfin have been landed on 6kg line.....They are a fish known for their power and long battles but they arent known for fighting real dirty like a BIG king,amberjack or GT.....
    Tell me how many 50kg Amberjack or GT's have been landed on 10kg Mono....

The fights are completely different!......If you dont stop dead Kings,amberjack and GT's they will bust you in an instant as I am sure you know....
    Then the $$$$ come into it as well....How many $20 poppers or $20 jigs do you want to lose.....????

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by spinyeel View Post
    Watched a great DVD recently where guys are jigging for big Samson's off the W.A. coast.All the fish were taken on proper reels [overhead's]. At the end of the film,a guy hooks up on a Saltiga and gets spooled convincingly.Spinning reels were designed for mugs that couldn't cast properly with overhead gear.I love spinning reels for ultra light luring,but that's it.
    Spinyeel....If its the Jigging DVD with Mark Berg in it that came free on a magazine....The reel he got spooled on convincingly was an Okuma!
    It wasnt a saltiga!........

Pete

Pistol P

Just wanted to inform you that there are a couple of other spin reels beside the Stellas and Saltigas that are suited to this type of fishing, namely VanStaal and ZeeBass.

Agreed but they are still up there in $$$$

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_P View Post
    Spinyeel....If its the Jigging DVD with Mark Berg in it that came free on a magazine....The reel he got spooled on convincingly was an Okuma!
    It wasnt a saltiga!........

Pete
    My apologies,you are correct.The overhead reels made short work of those Samson's though,didn't they?They didn't snap off the rod like Saltiga's have been known to do.Check out Youtube.

I have often wondered how the big heavy duty spin reels cope without having to have rod clamps like overheads.
    I can see the advantages of having a reel under the rod, with regard to twisting of the rod and guides with overheads...and line rubbing on the rod...my god
    where am I going with this ...I`ll be selling my Avets next!

now if i can just get shimano to put a strike alarm on those stellas