Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

I went to bcf 2nite and spent about 2 hours looking at fishing gear and i came across the Shimano Stella 20000, it looked like a nice real, untill i saw the price i mean f$%k me dead $1000? for a spinning real? and also the Diawa Saltiga? $1000?

Is it really worth it? I mean ive owned a Penn 9500ss for over 10 years now and its been to hell and back and its still catching fish and i paid $300 for it. So why would someone choose these $1000 reals over the new 9500sss or the Shimano Baitrunner 6500b both under $300, i just cant see why anyone would spend $700 more for what? Is it the name that your paying for? i mean for $700, what more do you really get? What a twin disk drag system? or the little carry bag and the nice box that the real comes in?

I think its alot of money for nothing.

Anyone else feel the same? lol

Re: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

have a feel of the stella and u will know why the penn feels like an old hand powered mincer compared to a stella or saltiga. plus the drag doesnt even compare in the penns to the other 2. have a look on some GT fishing sites or jigging sites and u will see by the size of the fish and the depth of water the gts are in u will see why 20kg+ of drag is neccessary. do yourself a favour and scour the web for those type of sites and do some research and it will soon be obvious why these reels are so exxy

cheers matt.

Its the same as you don't use a TLD 25 to catch 1000lb Marlin off Cairns, it's a good reel for its own application, horses for courses, and yes you do get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by GPB View Post
    Its the same as you don't use a TLD 25 to catch 1000lb Marlin off Cairns, it's a good reel for its own application, horses for courses, and yes you do get what you pay for.
    I know an ex member of this site that just recently caught a blue marlin out at the shelf in his 4.4m tinnie using a tld 25 I believe he'll be at port douglas next heavy tackle season trying his luck on a black

ian

Ps. i wouldn't but his old tld 25's though
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Hi Astro.
    Agreed it's a lot of money, but if that's your thing.............
    If you drink or smoke it wouldn't take long to go through a grand, and you'd have nought to show for it.......................
    Surf reels live the USA made Van Staal and Zeebaas (sp) cost more than a grand, guess it's like why own a BMW when a Holden will do..................if you can afford it, why not?
    Nothing wrong with your Penn IMO, I note some of the top-line sportfishing charters in WA and Nthn Qld use top end Shimano and Diawa threadlines, if these guys use them they must have proved themselves worthy of the initial expenditure!
    Myself I thankfully don't chase GTs or jig the monster ambos etc, so I can make do with way cheaper gear, my wife would FREAK if I proposed spending a G on a reel!

as previously stated its to do with the style of fishing you do. if i had the dough id be getting something around that price in the 2000 size. With these reel all the gears are machined whick allows for tougher steel than the cheaper moulded reels and they mesh together a lot better. Have u ever picked up a reel in the mid price bracket and felt the 'slop' in the handle when u engage the gears ? machined gers in the expencive reels have next to none. when ur flogging a reel this makes a big differance in the rate of wear to the gears. My last small threadie was worth around 200 bucks when i bought it and it lasted 2 yrs with the work it did. this wasnt due to neglect, rather the gears just wore out (ad the drag washers were paper thin by the time id finished with it). over 10 yrs a grand starts to look like a good investment when u go through reels that fast.

have at look at shimanos site and read the specs and youll see why it costs that much, and imo its worth every dollar

I don't think they are worth anywhere near what the ask for them, I will never buy another one at any price! and for a grand you can buy a truckload of Spinfishers and you will die of ald age before you wore them all out!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I don't think they are worth anywhere near what the ask for them, I will never buy another one at any price! and for a grand you can buy a truckload of Spinfishers and you will die of ald age before you wore them all out!
    you may not buy 1 but plenty of other people will
    i know its alot of money but there is no way a penn spinfisher could handle tha size of the kingies,sampson ect that the saltiga or stella could.
    the penn is a fine reel but there is know way i would go jigging 20kg kingies with 400g jigs with it!
    the reel would not be able to handle them unless its in open water with zero structure!

only 20KG, and just when exactly was the last 20KG Kingfish you caught on your Stella,, then I will tell you about my biggest on a Spinfisher, and by the way, never said they were not OK (except mine) but I still think they are not worth anywhere near the price!

wouldn`t $300 for a penn 9500 ss 10 years ago been a lot of $

Penn has recently up graded the ssm series to include a plate on the gearing to suit the new style of jigging and big fish.

actually the stella 10000 and 20000 fish over 37kilo of drag!
    i know penn are a good reel but are no were near the quality of these reels!
    those penn's are now made in china or something too.

Guys were catching Marlin on Spinfishers 25 years ago,not to mention Dogtooth Tuna and GT's.A lot of those reels are probably still operational today.The Chinese made versions haven't proved themselves yet,but time will tell.

You pay for what you get, I've felt the difference. If I was loaded I'd deffenently splash out on the stella or saltiga. Sure you can catch big fish on cheaper reels, but its no where near as comfortable.