Thread: Egrell Bear Rods

Egrell Bear Rods

Hi All,

I am wondering for my own curiosity if anyone can offer me some info as to the type of blanks the Bear range are made from.

I got a Bear S10 and a Bear B6 and rate em above Loomis etc. In fact they are my two favorite rods in my collection.

A mate of mine recons the Loomis Blanks are made from better graphite. What do others think of this and can anyone offer me any other information on this subject?

Would you guys choose a Bear rod over a Loomis GL3 rod?

Cheers

Ismail

Re: Egrell Bear Rods

Eric uses blanks custom rolled for him by CTS. It should say that on the rods you have. Note they are custom rolled, so you can't order the exact same blank from CTS's catalogue. There are a few custom rod builders using CTS blanks in SE QLD.
    I've never used a G.Loomis of any sort so I can't comment. I do use and like the EGrell rods. They are a quality product.

Cheers Roo.

They are different rods altogether. The Loomis has more a parabolic curve, whereas the Egrells have a lock up point.
    I have and have used both and I prefer the Bear.
    Having said that, both are nice rods, it's just that I prefer the lockup and don't argue of the Bear and I also like to support locally made product, which is hand crafted to suit local species.
    Tim

Its a personal thing, I have a bear S1 and chose it over all the comparative loomis' sticks but the next bloke might like the DSR 8200 over the S1.

And i think its got alot to do with the way the rods are made (and feel) then simply whether one is made from better materials than the other. and if loomis are using better materials (which i very much doubt) then they are doing something wrong with how they make them, because they aren't any better than the egrell / bears.

I have been eyeing off the S10's for ages but when the loomis forcelights came out, the 8 - 20lb model suited the reel i wanted to put on it and what i wanted to use it for alot better than the S10. i loved the feel of the S10 (and they are awesome rods) but with the reel matched up, the loomis just felt right.

In saying that i think the egrell/bear blanks are a lot nicer feeling (generally) than comparatively priced loomis blanks, but at the end of the day it all has to match up with what your using it with and for.

Gary Loomis came to Australia in 1989.

As far as i know he was the 1st person to produce graphite blanks.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Gary and unknown to myself & many others probably to this day he produced the carbon tiles for the NASA space shuttle.

Whether or not he still does I don't know.

Gary is all about Carbon and what can be produced & manufactured from the planet's most profilic mineral.

I don't know the actual numbers of manufacturers of carbon blanks but would hazzard a wild guess that most would have been made by Loomis and rebranded under there own trade name.

Having said this I think any genuine 100% carbon rod/blank would be as good as the way it was built.

Some modulous composites would obviously be better than others.

I own both loomis and egrell's..both rods are specific to bream spinning so its easy to compare apples with apples. IMX DSR820 v's S1 Egrell and S1 Bear...

In My opinion they have pros and cons for both.. i will outline a few of my observations.

1) The loomis' have a slower action as does the Egrell S1 Bear, both are intermediate modulus. The S1 Egrell is a crisper action due to being a higher modulus...
    2) The bear is a lighter rod by 10grams and 2 inches longer.
    3) The loomis has a nicer grip set-up. I prefer a thinner grip than the Egrell has. It might grow on me over time but for now i dont like it.
    4) The Bear has a faster recoil rate than the Loomis. This helps sink the hook better. I drop alot of fish on the Loomis. I drop even less fish on the Egrell being HM.
    5) I seem to cast further with the Bear to. Probably for the same reason listed above.

So all up the its horses for courses scenario. Both have good and bad attributes. But if i had to make a decision i'd take the Egrell. As i said it based soley on the rods i own. Could be different for other models in the range.
    For fishing reports, fishing info, new techniques and fishing news read;
    Savvy Fishing Blog