Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

Re: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

If you really want to take this argument to the proper place head over to the Western Angler Fishing Forum where they regularly break all sorts of gear on jigging big Sambo's. They seem to have a fair opinion of the old Penns. Certainly not up to the standard of the $1000.00 reels but still serviceable.
    As for the old TLD, they can still knock over a decent fish that would consider a 30 kg trev as breakfast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by spinyeel View Post
    [I think you might be missing the point.Braid + jaggies = bust offs.Why lose the fish of a life time due to an obsession with having the latest trendy braid on your $1000 dollar Spinning reel.The big King's in this particular spot will cause you or anyone else using spinning tackle to look pretty silly.If it is so effective,why do none of our top guys use it?Results speak for themselves.
    Mate i wouldn't fish for kingy's on mono!! just not interested , i've got some ground that holds good sized kingy's and it's very snaggy ( trawer rigs, cable , sharp edges etc)If i loose a fish to this i'll try again and again , it's not the same on mono and i wouldn't do it. it's being in DIRECT contact with the fish that is so appealing i'm not fishing for a kingy just to catch one and take a photo i'm targeting kingy's to get SMASHED and this doesn't happen with mono , to elastic,it's wouldn't be a fish of a life time if it was caught on Mono it's the violence that braid transfers to the fisherman that's the appeal !! Mate if you get a chance to try a good jigging outfit on a good fish you'll soon see what's been discussed

ian
    Last edited by finding_time; 22-08-2007 at 07:27 PM.
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Theres a big difference between a big GT and a marlin or tuna or mackeral. A gt or kingfish or amberjack are all dirty fighters who head straight for the reef the first chance they get where as a marlin or tuna will just fight in open water.
    VERY nice marlin btw.
    The reason for using stellas/saltigas for jigging for these fish is purely for sport. 90% of the fish caught arent kept. SPinyeel, they arent fishing for a feed. They fish for the adrenalin rush of the hit and absolute turmoil that eventuates from the fight that involves zero stretch.
    I dont think i know a guy that jigs for kings/gt's etc that targets them for a feed.
    As i have already said in this thread, if u cant see the point in having good quality gear, then we are all "preaching to deaf ears" as ive said a few times.
    Once you understand how a reel works, understand the process of making that reel, understand the sport of jigging for kings and amberjacks, popping for gts or spinning for dog tooth tuna, then you will understand. Go research it, watch a few vids on youtube and check out just how hard these fish go.
    Have you ever thought how hard a fight with a big bream went? or a good sized tuna?
    Well imagine trying to stop that same scenario of a big bream hitting the racks, except the bream is 20, 30, even 40kg's!
    Then imagine that you have to stop it dead in its tracks before it crash dives into a rocky outcrop of deep reef, and then you have to continually drag it out of that till you have it in open water.
    Until you have experienced jigging or researched it or personally know someone who does, stop posting in this thread

Mattooty,you are obviously a veteran with years of reading magazines behind you.I rest my case.

Spinyeel you actually made me laugh out loud.
    I worked in a fishing tackle store since i was 15 and watched jigging come back into fashion. I talk to alot of charter operators, i have researched these reels and talked to alot of owners of them, and im open minded, unlike you my friend.
    I admit that ive only been on 2 jigging trips and only caught rat sized (10kg) kings and similar amberjacks. And let me tell you i struggled with the drag at about 6kg's.
    One day when you open your eyes and pull your head out of a southern orifice, you might go on a charter to see what its all about, then ill take alot of notice of what you say.
    And yes you're right, i am a seasoned magazine reader, ive got piles of them in the shed and my room, does that make me one of the guys who relies on magazines that "Oh my god, if they can catch a kingfish on a reel like that then i definately will be able to!"
    Or maybe you are just irritated that you're 2 or 3 times older than me and cant be open minded once you set your heels in?
    Thankyou ladies and gentleman of the jury, we'll convene after a short recess.

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    Theres a big difference between a big GT and a marlin or tuna or mackeral. A gt or kingfish or amberjack are all dirty fighters who head straight for the reef the first chance they get where as a marlin or tuna will just fight in open water.
    VERY nice marlin btw.
    The reason for using stellas/saltigas for jigging for these fish is purely for sport. 90% of the fish caught arent kept. SPinyeel, they arent fishing for a feed. They fish for the adrenalin rush of the hit and absolute turmoil that eventuates from the fight that involves zero stretch.
    I dont think i know a guy that jigs for kings/gt's etc that targets them for a feed.
    As i have already said in this thread, if u cant see the point in having good quality gear, then we are all "preaching to deaf ears" as ive said a few times.
    Once you understand how a reel works, understand the process of making that reel, understand the sport of jigging for kings and amberjacks, popping for gts or spinning for dog tooth tuna, then you will understand. Go research it, watch a few vids on youtube and check out just how hard these fish go.
    I was going post another reply in this thread but I will end up writing near exactly what Mattooty said.

He is spot on with all he said.

Its obvious here there are some blokes here that just DONT fish often.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    If you really want to take this argument to the proper place head over to the Western Angler Fishing Forum where they regularly break all sorts of gear on jigging big Sambo's. They seem to have a fair opinion of the old Penns. Certainly not up to the standard of the $1000.00 reels but still serviceable.
    As for the old TLD, they can still knock over a decent fish that would consider a 30 kg trev as breakfast.
    Horse....I have fished for Marlin and popped for GT's......When you compare the two at the same size.....50kg GT verses a 50kg Marlin......I reckon the GT is a much more worthy opponent.

Marlin...you can just wait till he runs and jumps and wears himself out....
    a GT will make you hurt and use brute force to extract him from cover........

I would take the GT anyday!!!

Pete

I'd like to thank Astro for putting up this excellent thread.
    I'd also like to thank all the major contributors for airing their points of view.
    This has been easily one of the best threads I've read in my short time as a member.
    I feel I've definitely learned something new which, apart from the good natures of the members , makes this site such a fantastic resource!
    Thanks y'all!

Mattooty, I don't think you did yourself any favours or add any credibility by proclaiming to be an expert in alll things drag and reels, then say you admit to only going jigging twice!! and only caught a couple of 'rats" but I guess at least you are honest, unlike a lot of others who just sprout their thoughts that they just heard or read!

Oh and I was NOT having a go at you, just making a a statement based on how I read the entire post!

I have to go and fish for some of these Ambo's and GT's now just to see what they're like as a fighter
    Sounds like fun!!
    Pity this broken old body will give up the ghost before even a dodgy reel starts to show signs of explosion
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

T-C 37kg rod + Stella 20k 37kg reel + 80lb braid + 12kg drag = 35kg Ambo and smiles.
    !2kg pretty well loads up the rod and uses some drag if needed and the fish was released alive and well.
    Last edited by GPB; 23-08-2007 at 11:00 AM.

geez everybody has been saying this over and over again.
    YES you can catch big fish on spin fishers or tld's but seriously would you take your spin fisher out jigging for 30kg plus kingies when you have to rip there head off to get them up from the reef?
    i am just saying some of the guys who come into work with there tld's and penns have there drag and gears absolutly shredded!
    Last edited by breamnut; 23-08-2007 at 03:27 PM.

T-C 37kg rod + Stella 20k 37kg reel + 80lb braid + 12kg drag = 35kg Ambo and smiles.
    Very nice GPB...

Shimano Blue Rose + Saltiga 4500Z + 35lb braid + 6kg drag = ??Kg Kingy and more smiles.

Thumbs up Re: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY? , Should be 'WHY NOT'