Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

Re: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by GPB View Post
    Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY? , Should be 'WHY NOT'
    Because of the missus

Maybe that should be rephrased to Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - "For offshore jigging" - 'WHY NOT'

Cheers Chris

When i went to the swains a chap on board had about 15 grands worth of stellas and bluerose etc etc . And the gear he used most? A alvey, why take all that good stuff if ya don't use it. Madness i tell ya.

GPB mate spooning fish thats a new one

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Cool Re: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

Better to 'lay' the fish than string it up, for a pic! ask the fish.

Noelm i dont proclaim to be an expert but i do proclaim to be knowledgable in the guts of a reel. It doesnt matter wether i use the reel frequently or not to wether i can judge a reel and know the inner mechanics of them.
    I never really thought i had much credibility in the first place because of my age so thats not much lost...

Don't think age has anything to do with credibilty or knowledge, I work in IT and am getting on a bit, but there is some younger (like just out of school) guys here that astound me with what they know and some older guys that are just the same as they were when they left school, never ready to change or accept anything new untill it is forced on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Don't think age has anything to do with credibilty or knowledge, I work in IT and am getting on a bit, but there is some younger (like just out of school) guys here that astound me with what they know and some older guys that are just the same as they were when they left school, never ready to change or accept anything new untill it is forced on them.
    Right on Noel .. I had a couple of guys stay at my place on there way north recently that just blow my mind with there dedication and organisation .

Lets get realistic on the price of a saltiga or stella verse the average ausy workin man in his primes earnings , and we are no longer talking about ferraris , but a couple of weeks of dedication , a bit of graft and saving .. a weeks work on holidays ..A few hours of overtime a week slotted away for a few months ..Or if your in school still , 4 or so lawns mowed a weekend for 8 weeks should get you a full compliment of baid to go with one ..

Of all the sad passions and traps for the younger player that are available in our society it occurs to me that a man could do allot worse with his time, energy and money ..

I have a spinnfisher 8500 its a great reel its done everything asked of it and YES its caught plenty of XOS size fish and guess what after 20 years of fishing i now own a stella 20000 & 10000 and there great as well but the difference is i can now afford the stella`s where i couldnt before .

fair enough the stella is a lot smoother and well balanced with an awesome drag but in my opinion the spinnfisher is a bullet proof reel as well that i think would do anything a stella would and you can upgrade the drag in them to catch anything a stella can.

i would have no problem using a spinnfisher if i could not afford a stella.

im telling you right now that if i didnt have enough money for a stella then spinnfisher would most definately be my reel.

nobody should be bagged for thier reel of choice because its exactly that thier choice and its what they can afford .

Thats my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by MONOSTRETCHO View Post
    I have a spinnfisher 8500 its a great reel its done everything asked of it and YES its caught plenty of XOS size fish and guess what after 20 years of fishing i now own a stella 20000 & 10000 and there great as well but the difference is i can now afford the stella`s where i couldnt before .

fair enough the stella is a lot smoother and well balanced with an awesome drag but in my opinion the spinnfisher is a bullet proof reel as well that i think would do anything a stella would and you can upgrade the drag in them to catch anything a stella can.

i would have no problem using a spinnfisher if i could not afford a stella.

im telling you right now that if i didnt have enough money for a stella then spinnfisher would most definately be my reel.

nobody should be bagged for thier reel of choice because its exactly that thier choice and its what they can afford .

Thats my opinion
    Could you say you felt more comfortable on the stella while fighting bigger fish, then the spinfisher? Did you ever feel like the internals or drag system might fail at all?

when you think about how much money we spend on crap the price of one of these reels is to bad.

worth every cent in my opinion.

im only 20 and an apprentice and i still manage to buy high end daiwa gear for all the stiles of fishing i do. certates are my fav reels at the moment but im looking to get a jigging outfit and wont hesitate to get a saltiga expedition when the time comes. some people may feel confident with their spinfisher but i sure as hell wouldnt.

just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlikes2fish View Post
    fishing 50-80lb braid (breaking strain probably 100-200lb).

wrong, 50 - 80 lb p.e braid will break at its advertised breaking strain. people who jig will use propper braided lines not FIRELINE.

ARRRRGGHHH is this ever going to end....

Lets just finish it for good by saying....

If you have plenty of $$$$ and dont care about spending the money go and buy yourself the good gear!!....

Pete

ill second that Motion pete..
    andddddddd motion passed

ASTRO yes the stella does feel more comfortable than the spinnfisher its a lot smoother and more balanced as you pay for what you get i guess the point im trying to make is that in my opinion any reel that you pay $300 plus for is going to do the job spinnfisher , stella,spheros , saltiga,vanstall etc etc lets face it they are all capable of landing the big ones where the reel difference is is if you compare these with a cheap ebay or kmart reel if you pay $50 for a reel and try landing a 30kg amberjack or sambo theres every chance it may let you down.

but once again its what you can afford if you can only afford a $50 reel then you make do and sometimes these reels also catch some good fish dont they but you couldnt expect them to last

a mate of mine works in a tackle shop and they spooled a cheaper $50 reel with 80lb braid and put it on a saltiga rod and tested it and with the drag done up all the way as soon as the pressure was on it within seconds the bail arm snapped of it and sent him on his arse THATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN $50 AND OVER $300

Quote Originally Posted by Zac_87 View Post
    wrong, 50 - 80 lb p.e braid will break at its advertised breaking strain. people who jig will use propper braided lines not FIRELINE.
    Hey Zac are you going to qualify your statement as i belive fireline is pe braid (coated with plastic) and i am talking line strength not knot strength, my experience with braid is that it breaks way above its stated strength. Not looking for a slanging match just wonder where you got your information

japanese PE braid is completely different to a fused or gelspun line like fireline.