Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

Re: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

IMO the spin reels are easier to use than overheads....Just a personal thing I suppose....

Pete

Here's another one.Ripped the first guide out of the rod.7kg of drag did this while fighting a G.T.

This makes a good read on both reels...

http://www.gtfishing.com/GT%20Gear%20Reviews.htm

Pete

This is prety much standard for a Spinfisher that's seen half an hour of a hot bite during a jigging session.

I wonder why nobody has designed a geared 6 or 7 inch centrepin with a lever drag for jigging.With todays technology and light weight materials they could make the ultimate big fish jigging reel.

This Aussie manufacturer of the 1940's was on the right track I think.

Most guys start jigging with overheads, then go to a spin reel once they try it, I went from an Accurate 665 XH which I still use [top reel] for other types of fishing, to a Stella 20000 for HD jigging and a Spheros 14000 or a Stella 8000 for lite [50lb] jigging, its more comfortable and less strain
    Last edited by GPB; 16-08-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    now if i can just get shimano to put a strike alarm on those stellas
    You use the Stellas where you just get the strike, no alarm needed

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_P View Post
    This makes a good read on both reels...

http://www.gtfishing.com/GT%20Gear%20Reviews.htm

Pete
    Interesting about the chrome leather drag washers for the Saltigas.

Penn used them in some of their reels before they went to HT100

I used to have a 940 baitcaster with them.

Spinyeel that broken saltiga was done by a member of this site and was done on longtails up near indonesia. There is a video that goes along with it. He is actually from indonesia not an aussie. I talked to a daiwa rep about it and he kept giving me some crazy excuse about fishing to high breaking strain braid. Which just doesn't make sense to me if the max drag is 10kg it shouldn't matter how strong the braid is? In the end I got an explanation that saltiga drags aren't as smooth as they are made out to be and the pressure can spike to ALOT higher than 10kg but only does it for a micro second but if you have caught enough big fish on it many microseconds of insane drag pressure start to wear out other parts of the reel. Still the internals must be awesome if the reel breaks externally. Interestingly they have filled those holes in the reel on the dogfight.. wonder why?
    Last edited by craftycarp; 17-08-2007 at 12:22 PM.

here is the video

Actually it was a mob of Big yellow fin tuna not longtails.

hey pistol-P can you post a picture of your 50KG Amberjack?

Noelm theres alot of POV's that your not grasping here.
    The big stellas and saltigas are made to fish for big fish that to pull them out of their homes, they need to be stopped dead! they're not made for the ordinary fisherman nor are they marketed towards the run of the mill fisherman chasing snapper, jew, or rat kings/amberjack.
    Pistol pete was saying that the fish that are chased by fisherman using this gear such as XOS amjerback (eg 50kg amberjack) or big kings or dogtooth tuna need to be stopped before they hit reef. He never said that he had caught a 50kg amberjack, just that if you're chasing big fish like that, you will never...i repeat NEVER get them onto the deck of your boat using a spinfisher or similar priced reel.

Oh are you sure you would NEVER get one on (say) a Spinfisher? and I was just being a sh!t stirrer I guess, but a lot of guys post what is needed to fish here or there, but have never ever done it and are never likely too! and I am not defending the Spinfisher, it just seems to be the reel that has stirred the most comparisons ,though I do own a couple, I am not naive enough to think they are the be all to end all, but I am also not naive enough to think that a (say) Stella is the ONLY reel that will land XOS Kingfish , other than overheads of course. ANY reel with a hand on the spool will exert plenty of drag to (perhaps) stop a short run to a rock/reef on a fish.