Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

Re: Shimano Stella & Diawa Saltiga - WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by johnlikes2fish View Post
    Hey Zac are you going to qualify your statement as i belive fireline is pe braid (coated with plastic) and i am talking line strength not knot strength, my experience with braid is that it breaks way above its stated strength. Not looking for a slanging match just wonder where you got your information
    hey jonlike2fish ... what you are saying isnt at all questionable it is a proven fact all braids are underspecked out of the box.

reference see doug olanders sportsfishing article august 06...
    4 weeks on the igfa line tester in florida ..

Quote Originally Posted by carpel View Post
    hey jonlike2fish ... what you are saying isnt at all questionable it is a proven fact all braids are underspecked out of the box.

reference see doug olanders sportsfishing article august 06...
    4 weeks on the igfa line tester in florida ..

ps I have a brand new stella 10000fa ..does anyone want to swap it for a 20 year old penn 8500 ..I'm convinced

Hi Carpel
    I'll swap one . The only problem is that a my 20 YO Spinfisher is an 850SS . The 8500SS came out later . Both are still going strong but I sure would like to try your Stella
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

john, fireline is a gelspun line NOT a braid. brands like varivas give you a true strength.

carpel, some lines are underspecked out of the box not all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Hi Carpel
    I'll swap one . The only problem is that a my 20 YO Spinfisher is an 850SS . The 8500SS came out later . Both are still going strong but I sure would like to try your Stella
    Mate i am a big fan of the spinfishers .. In fact I am on the lookout for one of the smaller old ones for a reliable baitcatching reel .. I think they have been somewhat cannonised in the minds of fishos .. I have seen many busted anti reverses on spinfishers and handle snaps, bail arms etc.. Even seen them come new ungreased from the u.s of a. {where they build everything so well}...gimme a break... u met any of them...A new spool used to be about a hundred bux to .. go figure ..cos there isnt that much to them ..

The stellas are awesome, but at days end they dont change the conditions or impress the fish much, the difference in power and control while using the same line class is however instantly recognisable .. you cant back the drag off to much less than {guessing }1.5kgs but .. And they are overpriced by about 30% imho..
    In the process of rebuilding rods fugi concept low riders and until then I am still to be convinced that they lay braid up to the 6-1 speed efficiently ..Worked my ring out for a while and came out a little ahead , bought the girls something nice and that for myself .. I didnt have enough for a new ducati ...lol next year ..

In the mean time the new fireblood range may be unleashed and allot of "stella S concept" ideas will make there way into the lower priced shimanos according to reviews.. which are generally about 80% overinflated

Quote Originally Posted by Zac_87 View Post
    john, fireline is a gelspun line NOT a braid. brands like varivas give you a true strength.

carpel, some lines are underspecked out of the box not all of them.
    perhaps your right zac .. out of the 15 brands chosen by popularity here and usa , that were tested ALL of them were underspecked varying between 10 and 170% above .,. Manufacturers sighting strength v diameter and knots strength as the driving market forces , as apposed to igfa contention .. Interestingly enough the lower the lb line the higher the differences were to ..

Finally someone has bought up a good reel to compare with than the penn spinfisher that i have personally witnessed to of them smash gears on big fish.The old mitchells are bullet proof

I didnt want to start a new post, but here is another reel, VAN STAAL, has anyone used one of these? They look like a very simple reel from the outside, but the specs seem very impressive, but not for the price they are asking? $1500+??

nahh its a blind rip bloke,,but hey,,,you gonna make your own?