Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: hobbies other than fishing

Re: hobbies other than fishing

Gee Finga,

That GTS brought back some memories!! I used to have a 74 HQ 4 door, 308CI, 4bbl Rochester Quadrajet, 3.36 diff, 240HP, M20 Muncie box, all that stuff. Red and black. You could get wheelspin changing into 2nd.

You could sit it on 95kmh with just the 2 barrels working. Over 95, the other 2 barrels would cut in and you could see the fuel gauge needle move.

Now, my 3.6L Commodore puts out just as much with not much fun at all.

Ah well.

TOL

Despite myself, I have found this a really interesting thread. It reminded me of when I was researching reef aquarium set ups. I found one good 'ol boy in the states who's personal website described his hobbies as "reef keeping & collecting WW2 fighter aircraft" Damn I wish I had his discretionary budget.
    Oh BTW, My hobbies are minimizing the depth of the sh1te I'm in with the minister for finances, and a banjo that I truly really suck at, but still love.

I agree! Nice Monaro Finga!
    I had an FC for a short while (until I ran out of money to spend on it

When I have some spare time (which is not very often with a 3 & 5 year old and a small home business) - I enjoy cooking, sewing, renovating the house and I have just found that I really like photography! and have bought myself a DSLR but am finding it hard to find time to really get into it!

One thing that I would like to get into is - A few years ago I did the course and got my Open Water dive certificate but suffered with a bit of claustrophobia during the prac. in the ocean testing when the visibility was about a metre. Did not enjoy the experience at all With the water as clear as it is at the moment - I reckon I would be OK! But I hate it when you are in the boat and you can see the buggers swimming around under you but will not bite!

Good Question - Dave - will be interesting to read what other Ausfishers do when not fishing!

Cheers
    Janine

Astronomy (10" dob), tropical orchids (over 200), freshwater tropical fish, photography.....in any order.
    Used to enjoy following a little white ball, but illness has curtailed that.

Currently my hobby is packing and trying to fit everything I own into a 3mt x 4.5mt storage shed. Once I've had enough of that, I'll go back to my other hobby of trying to catch a big snap on a rubbery thing or moulded food based wiggly thing.

Before that I was right into homebrewing, myself and 3 other mates met every tuesday to "bottle" 2 fermenters worth and to make up 2 more brews. One of us came up with the recipe and bought the gear, but we all got bottles out of every brew, usually 7 each. We always made at least a 30 bottle brew so 2 extras would be put away for a while and every 3 months we'd break into the archive and have some of the older beers. When we stopped we'd made over 100 brews between us. I was also making some of my own at home, so I had homebrew falling out of everywhere. Final count I had 22 dozen of my own crown seal bottles. I even managed to pick up 2nd prize stout and 3rd prize lager at the Samford Show about 4 years ago. I haven't made any for ages though, water restrictions make it a little hard to make sure everything is clean.

Before that it was collecting old jazz records or records in general I suppose. Love the sound of a stylus tracking over a vinyl disc, plus I love the music too, people like charlie parker, charles mingus, john coltrane, brilliant musicians. Recently, if I have any money to spare at a record fair, I'll be looking for funk 45's as well as jazz records.

scrabble, cryptic crosswords

Simon
    Last edited by slyman; 09-08-2007 at 10:19 AM.

My love of fishing is only surpassed by my love of doing artwork. I was a Book illustrator/ Cartoonist / Graphic Artist/ Animator a million years ago. Now I do it in my spare time and enjoy it much more than doing it for a crust. ( no pressure )
    I guess I like it more than fishing because I can draw much better than I can fish.
    I also dabble in a bit of woodwork and read too many trashy novels.

Oh god I'm bloody envious, I need to get a life!!!!! Slyman, have you tried punching some of the old jazz n blues classics into youtube, it's amazing whats tucked away there. Tried out Robert Johnson yesterday to find a treasure trove of old slide blues guitar gems, very nice.
    Last edited by shayned; 09-08-2007 at 10:41 AM.

I used to right into cars when i was younger but moved back into my love of music & became a DJ for about 8 years & finally got back into something I really enjoy & that's my fishing.. I still enjoy them all as they do crossover in my everyday life..

Some more pictures of that 2 door Monaro and the next 'project' the mate has lined up for me.
    This one is an SS Monaro and we actually had to put it together a bit to get it on the truck. Not too bad for something that was 'supposed' to be going
    Then there's a purple GTS 4 door to get done
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by finga; 09-08-2007 at 11:09 AM.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

4 wheel driving (my 60 is about to get chopped ). I'm also into hunting with both Rifles and Bow. Mountianbiking as well as getting on the dirt bike are also favourites.

Nice work finga...
    love that colour mate.

finga,
    love my oldies aswell as my mates 2 of them have nice cars, ones a 66 HR special, still stock, just dropped on its guts and never misses a beat, other mate has a 67'xr falcon i think but hes let it slide a little.

my hobbies, well i did have some but i turned 18 found the valley and now well i geuss you can call me lazy used to play alot of sport, all codes of football cricket, swimming but just got worn out from them. i spose now i just do things in smaller doses rather than letting it be a hobby because after a fish, a night out and recovery the weekend is gone for me
    Last edited by B_E_N; 09-08-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Good thread.... apart from fishing I like:

MUSIC:

CARS:

MOTOR BIKES:

LIZARDS:

PISTOLS:

FORGIVENESS IS EASIER TO GET THAN PERMISSION

Mostly outdoors activities that aren't too strenuous, after all I am lazy!! Unless it is recovering a bogged/stuck 4WD, scuba diving, or climbing that hill or sand dune for the ferfect shot.

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

^^ Remind me to be careful what i say to you BreamReaper

Other hobbies than fishing include: Photography, drumming, trying to get my car working, gaming (bf2) to an extent, and uni (forced hobby).