Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: MBAA Update on the Moreton Bay Marine Park Review

Re: MBAA Update on the Moreton Bay Marine Park Review

Alchemy that’s what sweat Pete does, he would have got the redliffe jetty purposly added to the list then make a big fella of himself by taking it off…..unfortunately if there was an election today he would romp it in , because he is a good politician, but couldn’t run a choco vine over a sh@thouse .

Has anyone done an FOI on the EPA documants or has contacts that can do it.

Here is a link to a PDF file with all the areas of interest.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/formuploads/Areasofinterest_justification_SRGBriefingAug07.pdf

If you have any trouble viewing the file, you will need to download the free Adobe reader, go to http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

WOW
    Hayes Inlet is in as is Cape Moreton and parts east of Moreton I didn't see mentioned before.

will this be settled b4 the election and if it isnt can the new party (if there is one) change anything? as it stands it seems the people have no input

They must be planning some pretty bad stuff. The amount of tax payer funded propaganda that is out their by the EPA is ridiculous. Heard 2 ads on the radio today, typical propaganda ads that say nothing but try and give the impression that they are the good guys and it is all for our good.

In one the guy says that he will still be able to fish his favourite spots. Just fails to mention where it is, probably the beach on Moreton. But the ad doesn't mention that other people will not be able to fish their favourite spots. But it tries to make everyone believe that they will be able to fish their favourite spots and it is all for our own good.

Maybe someone should organise a few slow convoys of boats on a few main roads at 6am on Monday mornings until this is scrapped.

Say a convoy of cars with boats on the Ipswich Motorway, Gold Coast Highway, SE Freeway, Sunshine Coast Highway, Gympie Road, etc. all starting off at 6am and driving at 40km an hour to the city every Monday and/or Friday. ?

I agree with the really bad stuff. They are spending a heap of our tax payer dolloars on advertising. It appears they have an unlimited budget. Strange for a govt department.
    We need to be very careful about how we react to this negative and misleading advertising..
    We have already been accused of being bully's for threatening "blockades" in the latest Redcliffe newspaper. Its the left hand piece of rubbish labelled "Blockade Threats Show Self Interest" at:-
    http://paper.questnews.com.au/QST_RBH/rbh009.pdf
    We need to have the public with us in this latest attack by the EPA.
    To do this I believe we need to have protests that dont annoy or distress the public.
    Causing traffic hassles when people are trying to get to work will really cheese people off, turn them against us and will be playing into the hands of the EPA.
    We need to have positive and impressive protests that will be covered by the media and draw attention to the injustice of the govt. Maybe a suggestion would be a convoy of a thousand or so boats up and down the Brisbane River being careful to stay out of the way of ferries of course.
    Just food for thought.
    Cheers
    Stue

Being in Bundaberg i have not had the pleasure of seeing one of these government are the good guys ads, it's interesting to note that when they closed large areas around here last year they did'nt spend a cent on ads as they are doing in Brisbane so just maybe they are a little concerned that this time it will get ugly.

We lost alot of easily accessible areas includeing two of our beaches, funny enough they were the only two you could reach without breaking your neck ! It seems they are stressing the point that you will still be able to fish the foreshore of the bay and yet that didn't concern them at all in Bundy, so it seems that they are comming at this one from a different angle.

Before all of you guys tell me i know that it's all to do with the population of Bundy compared to Brisbane we don't count for very many votes !! So we got Bullyed !
    Ziggy.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Reel View Post
    We need to have positive and impressive protests that will be covered by the media and draw attention to the injustice of the govt.
    Would have agreed with you a year ago. But seeing how much money, our money, they are spending to tell us they are doing it for our good I think it is too late.

I think it needs to be done as hard as we can or we will loose even more.

We have to show them we are passionate and have already done the right thing with bag limits, etc. We need to show that we will not sit back like we have in all other parts of Queensland and let them do whatever they want.

The government must think that Fisheries has done such a bad job that they had to hand it over to the EPA. If so, why don't they sack the Fisheries Minister and get someone in that can handle it, not just pass it over to another department to screw it even more.

I know this is the MBAA post BUT..............this whole process is a mirror image of the GBR zoning...right down to the mega budget, the celebrity talking heads(Dick Johnson) and the "help protect the bay for the future" campaign.

The ONLY thing that will make one shred of difference is making this a political issue.

If we have the where-with-all and put in the effort to make the issue an election issue things will change.

If we have learnt anything from the GBR zoning fiasco it is that protests don't work, submissions don't work, balanced science based alternatives don't work, blockades don't work....the ONLY thing that worked up North was political millitancy. If you think Beattie will listen to protests, the voice of the people and common sense ideas, just look at the council amalgamation issue. He doesn't care what we think.

Today a meeting was held at the boatshow attended by industry leaders, MBAA representitives and the AMCS, where they again, in most forcefull terms, demanded 40 to 50% of the bay be closed and told all that "we" could go our hardest because there was nothing we could do to stop it......just like the WWF said during RAP.

The WWF were right and got their way...will AMCS do likewise?

The only weapon you have is your vote and the Australian Fishing & Lifestyle Party will need both your votes and more importantly your help if you want to pull the hand brake on this process.

"Fool me once, shame on you."
    "Fool me twice, shame on me"

KC

Her's a nice little kicker.

During the GBR rezoning the GBRMPA worked hand in glove with the WWF (they even opened an office in Townsville until the "job was done")

The lead environmental lobby group in the bay appears to be AMCS and low and behold they have all their brochures and literature being displayed

on the EPA stand at the boat show

Taxpayer funded free space and free publicity for a ultragreen lobby group who are insisting that 40 to 50% of the bay is green zoned.......how'd ya be!

& Minister Carr wonders why we are sceptical!!

KC

Quote Originally Posted by 4Reel View Post
    I agree with the really bad stuff. They are spending a heap of our tax payer dolloars on advertising. It appears they have an unlimited budget. Strange for a govt department.
    We need to be very careful about how we react to this negative and misleading advertising..
    We have already been accused of being bully's for threatening "blockades" in the latest Redcliffe newspaper. Its the left hand piece of rubbish labelled "Blockade Threats Show Self Interest" at:-
    http://paper.questnews.com.au/QST_RBH/rbh009.pdf
    We need to have the public with us in this latest attack by the EPA.
    To do this I believe we need to have protests that dont annoy or distress the public.
    Causing traffic hassles when people are trying to get to work will really cheese people off, turn them against us and will be playing into the hands of the EPA.
    We need to have positive and impressive protests that will be covered by the media and draw attention to the injustice of the govt. Maybe a suggestion would be a convoy of a thousand or so boats up and down the Brisbane River being careful to stay out of the way of ferries of course.
    Just food for thought.
    Cheers
    Stue
    I could not let that one go so I sent a letter to them as follows:

Dear Sir,

I read with alarm the letter from Simon Baltais regarding the areas of interest from the EPA and his comments regarding a blockade.

“They are well aware that there is no intention of moving to lock out fishers.”

The 35 areas of interest from the EPA are the areas that they will have their discussions over and then choose which ones or all to make green Zones. In Green Zones there is no fishing permitted. Simple as that. People should look at where these areas of interest are and see what is left..mainly the shipping channels.

“They put Moreton Bay’s international status at risk and by discounting better protection
    they put our dugongs, turtles and dolphins on death row.”

From the EPA’s own reports there were 2 dugongs killed in Moreton Bay in 2005, hardly warrants sensational words like “death row”. There is no evidence that these were killed by recreational fishers either. Boat strikes can come from the likes of ferries, ships etc.

“I’m all for good debate but we should have zero tolerance for those who will say anything to derail the review process”

Perhaps you should forward these words off to people like Greenpeace and other Green groups. We all know the blockades greenpeace have been involved in Worldwide and also the groups that conducted the road closing protests at Maleny when protesting against the Woolworths building. Do you have zero tolerance for these people also?

“The fact is Moreton Bay’s future hangs in the balance and without better protection all
    will suffer.”

That is totally untrue. The future of the Bay is not hanging in the balance. The fishing in the Bay recently has been the best for many years. This proves that the current DPI regulations for fish sizes and bag limits are working well.

I would suggest that your efforts would be far better guided to items such as foreshore developments which have decimated the mangroves. Also look at the quality of water from run offs on these developed foreshores. That should be your first place to investigate. Fishermen have not destroyed these habitats, developers have. Where was your concern when all this was happening?

Recreational fishing provides many jobs and a huge amount of money into the economy in this area, who will compensate those that are affected. Will you, Mr.Baltais?

If fishing is restricted, a great many people will not bother as they will not know exactly where the boundaries of these zones are. Therefore they will lose valuable family time together, their kids will just to have to stay home and play on the Nintendo or computer and what for? Because some scientists deem it so. Mr. Baltais, these scientists have not even conducted extensive research in Moreton Bay. They have only based it on overseas research. If Moreton Bay is so unique, then how can you base anything on overseas research?

To finalise, LEAVE THE BAY ALONE. It is not there for some green groups to close it just to give themselves a warm and fuzzy feeling.

good letter and I like the points about the foreshores, I think this has been lost in the debate

Closures of the Bay. Are we being informed?

Firstly im a very passionate fisherman and my life revolves around my love for the sport.

I spoke to a good mate today and the bay closures came up in conversation.

We spoke about the areas that everyone now knows about and some that he informed me he was told about by some professional fisherman and crabers.

I was informed that after ALL the areas that have been proposed are granted that the area from the pin to Redland Bay will be designated as a 6knot zone to preserve island foreshores.

I was also informed that there is currently a radio station that is airing an Ad from the government that says that fisherman are taking the closures the wrong way, as they are shuting off these areas as they are trying to preserve these areas for our future generations.

I belive this to be absolute crap! These's days there are so many more fisherman practicing C&R not because they have to but because they want to preserve what we have for the future.

If the REAL reason these government idiots want these areas banned is to save for the future, why cant these areas become catch and release only, have breeding season restictions bought in, bag no.s dropped or size limits raised? Not that i think they need this as populations of fish are as good as i can remember from my time growing up here on the bay.

How many blokes have been getting PB snapper over the last few weeks! If People are still catching fish of breeding size in good numbers then why do these restictions have to be bought in?

So many people are going to suffer from this. Tackle stores will lose business, boat yards will lose business, resale price of boats will suffer, its not good for anyone in the fishing community. Who wants to fish where the fish arent?

I was 1 of the blokes that sat back and said "It'll be right, she'll all work out for the best" but after what i was told when the last "PROTECTED ZONES" were bought in "Dont let it start because its the beginning of the end." and how true this was, or so it looks like at the moment. I wish i had done more to protect what i love.

I guess what im trying to say is dont sit back and let what you love get takan away from you. Stand up for what you love and make a stand. Now is the time because once the proposed is granted it will be too late.

Maybe we should have a day and take some of these "GREENIES" out on the bay and show them what they are going to deprive us of. I cant understand why you would want to take the average Aussie's love for something away from him/her.

I love my fishing and dont want to loose it.
    This is my opinion and i dont expect everyone to agree.

Whytey