Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: MBAA Update on the Moreton Bay Marine Park Review

Re: MBAA Update on the Moreton Bay Marine Park Review

Scott, its "all" of hayes inlet, from the bridge up, thats every creek and the main channel, saltwater ,freshwater, stoney(mullet) ! ...foxy

Webby, theres also the areas out from bribie that covers the spitfire banks out to the north east channel and much of the area north to and including the hamilton patches ...foxy

Why dont they just say where anyone catches a feed lets close it.Whats next caloundra wide?the hards?double island?
    Its getting a bit beyond a joke these closure.
    Why not just have a certain time where a total closure is in place like waddy point to indian head at fraser?

Cheers Troy

Basically by shutting down the small areas where there are fish, they can shut down the whole bay and still claim they have only shut down a small percentage.

If we complain then the EPA just say they shut down a small area and we fisher-persons are just being greedy.

What we need to do is forget all our differences and band together and support all avenues of help.

Just remember the greens wont be happy unitll fishing is non existent and we all know the greens give the preferences to labour.

It is time to become un-apathetic if we value our lifestyles and businesses.

Stue

I am thinking of trying to force a reef replacement strategy where artificial reefs are to be constructed in lieu of green zones. The locations and design of the arti's should be made accessible to both offshore and inshore fishers.

Surely adding more environment would sustain fish stocks better and create a huge impact on the social and economic status of the region.

In the times when we are all happy enough fishing and are "used" to the local regulations and living with them, is the time we should be most active promoting alternative environments. Seems we are in fact kneejerking to something that we have been ignorantly taking for granted being taken away.

I think there should be a govt agency dedicated to creating arti's throughout the state providing the guidelines, systems and funding to help groups such as fishing clubs and boating clubs create new environments where they will be most beneficial. There are huge barriers to creating these things currently.

Jack.

Yeah Dave, i dont have the precise maps for that area or the two areas down affshore on south straddie
    regards

Very worrying times ahead. I love how they went straight for tailor bight on moreton, and hays inlet - attack the recco's chasing nothing more than enough to feed the tribe, that's right! not to mention some of the other wider grounds. unbelieveable. dead right ellicat, i too have taken note of the supporters of this joke and will never hand my money over to them! i love the photo of three of them sipping their chardie in the gallery-so befitting of such types! at least we all know they will NEVER attain their wish of global vegetarianism, but it is still a huge worry for reccos. we need to keep up the fight, however dirty it becomes!

cuzza

Can someone explain where the info is about Hayes Inlet. This is the map of it and the only areas of interest marked are Scarborough Reef and Redcliffe Point.

Derek - at the meeting they said not all the info has been published by the epa and certainly not distributed. There are also now 36 areas of interest. The EPA has been disgraceful in it's attitude to release any information - probably cause the research is flawed and they dont want it public. There were some other maps put up on the screen today relating to fishing revenue/expenditure in areas and I hope they we can also get this info posted here

Can anyone in the SCGFC get Ewan Jones to send them the maps - actually they may appear on their site or QGFA site ???
    Last edited by Greg P; 19-08-2007 at 09:41 PM.

This is the full map of all proposed areas, the ones circled are the ones we cannot seem to get our hands on relating to precise lat/long covering the areas.
    regards

Forgetting the impact of these proposals on boating fisho's for a second. What about non fishing mums and dads who try to do the right thing and take their kids fishing for the first time. Trying to get them outside to do something healthy and as a family.

There will be imaginary lines on the beach (even if they are signed) where you can fish one side but not the other.

Considering how difficult it is to get kids outside these days, closures that start and stop in popular coastline areas will see less parents taking kids out fishing for the first time at the risk of prosecution. (IMO). Or am I drawing a long bow.

Jim

Also, a few people have mentioned that the epa appears to have thrown the odd exclusion around willy nilly. I'm from the gold coast and rarely fish the bay, however, the area off south straddie in the proposal has obviously been done with good fishing knowledge.

Jim

Flick you have lucked onto the very intent of this whole plan............It stops occassional fishers, fishing. That's it purpose..reduce participation...and it works...the proof being a 42% reduction in participation rates after the GBR rezoning.

If you take one of lifes simple pleasures and make it too hard, too risky and too regulated, people just don't bother.

Not only does this offer snatcuary zones but IT STOPS PEOLE FISHING.... even more so, it stops people starting and stops kids from being interested.

Might be good for the makers of playstation but not so much for the industry which lives of "us".

KC

We still do not have a definitive map of the proposed areas as they still do not show the 35 or 36 areas. Wanga wallen Bank/Myora is missing as is the Amity Banks. I cannot believe that the EPA would not issue proper maps in order to recieve accurate feedback
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Foxy.
    The Hayes Inlet closure would be a disaster for families and not based on any evidence. The area is fished for flatties and well crabbed and there seems to be plenty of each up there. It’ll be ironic won’t it, if they build a fishing platform on the new Houghton Highway and ban fishing from the area. That’s what I call co-ordinated policy making.

Where else can a family go do some land based fishing on the north side these days that is as accessible as the old Hornybrook Hwy. The developers had the Clontarf jetty shut down now Hayes Inlet looks like its out.

Those that continue to fish will simply be all heading for the same areas. If we can’t fish Shallow or Deep Tempest, then Wide Cal and Hutchies will get smashed and I’m sure the only reason Wide Cal was spared was because its outside the boundary.

Scott