Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: MBAA Update on the Moreton Bay Marine Park Review

Re: MBAA Update on the Moreton Bay Marine Park Review

Well here it is fellas, received this today with following proposed areas.

more to come

still more

Last one of the areas proposed

mmmmmm. interesting. But it's only the proposed, but having said that, these usually end up being the end result.

Both bay and offshore guys affected here.

Thanks Brian.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Thanks for that6 Webby.

Same thing happened in Great Sandy Straits, Phill. Proposal became the end product.

This is scary.

Derek

Thanks for all the work getting information to all AF members, we really have to do a bit of work ourselves in many aspects. Supporting Grant and MBAA for starters in more ways than are obvious, and we really have to understand EXACTLY where these zones are when it's official.

Scalem

By now it seems that pretty well everyone has seen the "areas of interest" identified by EPA as per the files recently posted on Ausfish.

I'm not sure who produced the images, but they do look very much like the 35 or thereabouts areas EPA showed to the Stakeholder Reference Group members last week, but no-one was allowed to take copies of EPA's maps away from those meetings.They are referred to as "areas of interest" by EPA. There are other areas such as Cobby Passage, Kalinga Bank, the banks north of Peel to name a few that aren't mapped because they are irregular shaped areas and EPA did not provide anyone with coordinates for them.

The areas identified are quite alarming as many people have pointed out. They cover many of the most important fishing grounds there are in the Bay for both professional and recreational anglers, which is very disappointing.

EPA has stated that they are just that: areas of interest, and were produced so that they could use them for discussion with various stakeholders at meetings that EPA has scheduled for the next couple of weeks. EPA have stated in open forums that they welcome people/groups putting up alternative areas for discussion as well.

Just a fact to be aware of: These are NOT the "draft proposals" or the Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) that goes out for official public comment, and which experience shows is nigh on impossible to significantly change. EPA's process is quite a way off that stage yet - at least 6 weeks away and probably longer from what they've told us.

MBAA reps will be attending a number of the stakeholder meetings and you can be sure that we'll be letting them know our views on these "areas of interest". And of the impact if they were to be adopted without significant changes.

The release of these areas of interest just reinforces the need for the Alliance's research project, because it is really the only way we can come up with scientifically backed, well researched alternatives that are supported by all stakeholders and that we can then advocate for adoption by the Government.

Regards

Grant

Sorry about the double post!
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 16-08-2007 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Double post!

With Peel, theres the Red and Yellow areas, whats the difference there?

Mike

Ouch!!! Thats gonna hurt. Not just the fisho's but the infrastructure that supports the recreational fishing industry. I wouldn't think it will impact the big marts so much, they'll just increase items all over their stores a few cents to make up the difference selling other goods. But what about the smaller family local business that are only just viable selling exclusively bait, tackle and some that hire tinnies?

Grant, we need that independent review on the impact socially and economically. I would like to underscore your comment about timelines.

Governments have a history of fast tracking decisions and passing radical and sweeping policy in the middle of the night with little notice for responses.

You've only gotta tune in to the broadcasts of late night parliament sessions to hear how they do it with the marginal stuff. They deal with the fluffy stuff through the day when the media is around so they can politically points score and do the dastardly business on the less popular stuff when no ones listening.

And its all done under the banner of preserving fish stocks for future generations. As others have pointed out, there are many other factors that impact on healthy systems, not just over fishing by the public sector, and I say yes and amen to those factors too. What's the point if the future generations can't access areas to fish from?

Sadly, the truth of the matter is it is all about political point scoring and currying favour with the greens! Sorry to be so cynical.

Whilst it doesn't directly and immediately affect me, as most of my fishing is off M'ba, we've gotta get behind this review fellas.

The lives of many people will be seriously affected, let alone the mums and dads with their younguns who might hire a tinnie to soak a bait off scarby, peel, green or the Pin to get the kids into a good addiction, rather than taking the option away and leaving them to pursue some of the other options out there.

I'll be watching this with interest to see where our support beyond the financial stuff might come in handy. The financial support is given...I know there are direct donations through BIAQ to MBAA...but I wonder if there would be benefit in a directly designated fighting fund to cover this action? Regardless...I too will financially contribute to this.

Is there anything else we as a 20,000 member representation might be able to pull together and do to support this phase of action and draw attention to the wider public of what is going on? Last year we did a drive through the city. I'm not sure how effective that was, but at some point we have to draw a figurative line in the sand! Next it will be...

cheers

Rhys

Rhys

MBAA also had concerns about the possibility of things being "fast tracked" and our reps met over recent days to discuss that and other issues with the Hon Michael Choi MLA for Capalaba who is the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for the Environment and is therefore very close to the action.

Michael is very supportive of the MBAA research project. He assured us that the timeframe EPA have previously discussed with us stands, and the Minister is keen to consider our research as well. The timeframes we have agreed with EPA will ensure our research is finished and able to be discussed in detail with them before they issue their draft plan for public comment.

Grant

See the EPA's announcement about this at the following link:
    http://www.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MMS/St....aspx?id=53391

Grant

Thanks Grant,

Lets hope they follow through then...Glad you're all over this one!

Well done

Cheers

Rhys

I am very concerned about the 'areas of interest' shown. Looks like they have all (or almost all) of the shallows around all of the bay islands. I would agree with some of what they have marked, but lets hope they don't take it all for the sake of the bream, whiting and flathead fishers. Looks like Western rocks will also go?

I didn't see any maps there of the tip of Bribie across Caloundra bar to the Caloundra headland, or inside the Pumicestone passage at Caloundra for that matter. Did I miss it, or is that area off the 'hit list'?

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy