Thread: young people need help to get into fly

young people need help to get into fly

I work at a school in hervey bay that works with disadvantated youth called glendyne.
    The young people love fishing and it is used as an important part of our program .
    I have just started to learn how to fly my self (not to good yet)
    the young people at Glendyne have taken a shine to it as well .

I only have two fly rods which makes it a bit hard for all of the young poeple to learn and then to go fishing would be hard also.

What i'm chasing is any one with any old fly gear that they would sell cheap.

due to the price of fly gear it makes it hard for the young peple to get any gear to get started .
    I would love some help and so would the kids

thanks fatboy

Re: young people need help to get into fly

G/day Fatboy, I'd like to help you and the kids out, I've got two old outfits that you can have to get them started they are 8 wts and have old lines on the reels as well, nothing flash but should do the job to start with.

I'm in the bay so no dramas with getting them to you, contact me via my web site I might be able to help out with some casting tuition to if it all works in with time slots .www.frasercoastsportfishing.com

Regards Paul Dolan

Im sure Ive met you and some the kids up at the dam at little while ago.

Im the Ranger at Lenthalls, so is Paul by the way.

Ive got a fly rod & reel you can have.

Cheers
    James

I seem to remember that Orvis had something similar going a few years back.
    You gave your old rod to the shop and then got a discount on one of the premium rods. The old rod was then donated by Orvis to a special needs program working with handicapped kids teaching them how to fly fish.... that is if my memory serves me correct now

Drop a line to the Orvis headquarters and find out, just maybe they have something they will throw in the mail for you....Or poinjt you in the direction of companies that can help?

Wessel

a BIG thanks to all you guys that helped out the boys are going love it.