Thread: Sp's Or Bait For Snappa?

Sp's Or Bait For Snappa?

G'day All, Probably done before but I've been chasing snappa at late on baits but was looking at giving SP's a burl this weekend. I dont want a debate but whats your veiw. Has your best snappa session been on bait or sp's.What works best? I'm after a big one as my PB is only 52cm but now I've got the bug and want something BIG. Photo's welcome too.
    Cheers TT
    ________
    NEW MEXICO MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Re: Sp's Or Bait For Snappa?

I recon baits the go ive given both a decent go and allways got heaps more on the trusty old pillies and yakkas but i know of people that swear by sp`s i also think it depends on what the fish are chewing on at the time and what is working at a particular time . Sometimes i get frustrated and give in to fishing bait when sp`s are not firing

Thats mine anyway
    Last edited by 1lastcast; 07-08-2007 at 11:48 AM.

Up untill 2 weeks ago I would have agreed with monostretcher.
    I had done a couple of half hearted SP trips and allways gone back to bait after a few casts- you know can see fish on the sounder but cant get a touch on plastic.

Well!!!!!!!! that all changed when I decided to leave the bait at home and take a couple of mates out that knew what they were doing. We fished ground that had been fished out 10 years ago noone even gives the ground a second thought and we pulled 10 snapper up to 6.8kg in an hour and a half.

I have no doubt that we would not have caught one of those fish using bait on that ground.

I must point out though that winter in this area brings the fish in close and at depths that suit SP 10 - 30m. In summer when the fish are wider 35 - 80m bait rules IMO.

I guess its horses for courses but do yourself a favour and give the SP's a real go because it really is exciting fishing!!!

Regards
    Rob

i dont have much experience with snaps but from everything ive read out of mags and on here it seems oldgrounds and educated fish are falling to sps like teachnthekids said from his session, if you know its been fished out try something new or once the fish wise up to the plastics you regualry use try some different ones, ive read a few things now from top anglers that they personally think fish wise up pretty quickly and it never hurts to keep trying new stuff. so id say fish with sps or bait depending on the area also

Try them both..ya can't go wrong eh.
    When you read the report some excellent catches are done with both species of bait so why not give both a go.
    But as a side note I use stinky stuff but will try a rubbery thing every now again
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I'm biased towards SP's, but why don't you rig one rod up on bait and one with plastics. See how it goes for you on the day?

SP's have worked best for me recently. I have had days though where I couldn't get a tickle on the SP, and bait produced the goods. Depends on the conditions of the day, tactics etc etc.
    Last edited by xerubus; 07-08-2007 at 01:26 PM.
    www.mogozobo.com <-- a few fishing yarns and general family blog
    Gone fishin' ... back at dark-thirty!

It depends on the day, some days the SP's flog bait and on others the bait rules. Its a matter of experimenting and finding out what works that day...

I'll let you know later in the week. I am going out tomorrow for an overnighter around Curtain or the Bulwer ledge. I have always been a bait user, but have got hold of a packet of 4 inch nuclear chicken SP's to try against some squid and mullet strip baits. With a dusk and dawn high tide, I am hopefull - if anyone is out there tomorrow give me a whistle - I'm in a Whitley 6.01 sea ledgend.

Whats it like over at curtain. I have been wanting to give it a go. What would i catch?

cheers
    greg

Thanks for all the advice guys, I was given a DVD all about fishing with sp's put out by berkley so now I'm all pumped to give it a good shot, I will probably fish bait on one rod and sp on the other to see which goes best but I think I need to dedicate a day where I only take sp's out but I'm not sure if I want to be totally converted but what ever catches the fish eh.
    Cheers TT
    ________
    Iolite Schematics

G'day Grant,

Do a search on Frank OO threads. All caught on SP's.

Cheers Scott

Some words of encouragement for those going to give the plastics a go, just remember how long it took you t reliably catch fish on bait - and that art was likely passed down from your fathers or grandfathers who knew what they were doing. Plastics need a different approach to what you know, and I certainly would not be anchored at Curtain trying to use plastics. Drift with the tide is the go.

So back to the original theme of the post - I may have already answered it. The last two trips when everyone is finding it difficult to raise a fish, I have done OK on SP's I doubt I could match the consistancy with bait.

Scalem
    Last edited by Scalem; 09-08-2007 at 08:34 PM.