Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Drought

The Drought

Took the kids out yesterday for a run in the country, thought I would try and capture the drought in pictures. Just a few for you

kev

Wivenhoe

Wivenhoe

Wivenhoe

A Car Meet At What Was Somerset

Cars Departing At Somerset

Take Care When It Fills

I found this little oasis, but some bugger had found it before me. I found 3 un-named set lines which had 30lb line and 4/0 hooks baited with some small fish that I didn't recognise. Probably trying for eels?

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Re: The Drought

My word,
    She is in a bad way,
    Kev can you tell us when it is healthy, how far up that opposing cliff face is the water level?

Cheers Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Magic View Post
    My word,
    She is in a bad way,
    Kev can you tell us when it is healthy, how far up that opposing cliff face is the water level?

Cheers Ryan.
    Ryan, when I first visited it 12 yrs ago, it was filled to the tree line.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

VERY SCARY when you see pictures like that .you dont realise how bad it is until you see that.going to take a lot of water to make that look pretty again.
    thanks for thoes photoes.

interesting that that stream seemed to be running pretty well. It must be between the dams??

Some nice photo's there kev.
    Just remember that if you are showing the kid's "the country" and "the drought" that it extends a bit further than 80km's from "the city".
    The impact of the drought has enormous ramifications on many country towns and their inhabitants the further west you go.In many cases the major industry/moneyspinner is based on rural enterprises in those locality's,and as a result almost all the businesses in town suffer as a result of the decreased production.
    Not trying to start an argument here but its difficult for city folk to even comprehend a fraction of the hardship that such a drought has for many small western communities.
    I sincerely hope and pray for good rain for all you southern folk.

regards

Scott

I remember fishing Somerset when I was a kid (about 15 years ago). From where I used to sit and fish back then, the water has receded so far now that I can't even cast and hit the water from that spot anymore, I would just hit dry land.

You've got some great photos there Kev (and in your album too).

I remember the drought in the 90's (still going I reckon) out Warwick. The farmers around Lesley had to keep fencing down to the water so the cows wouldn't walk around them and go to somewhere they shouldn't be.

On my place it was the first time the dam was dry in 60odd years as the fella up the road could remember it getting dug and he's never seen it dry before.
    Amasing though was when it did rain the little crays or what-ever you call them came back up out of the bottom of the dam. Apparently they can last for ages down deep.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Beautiful pictures. scary topic.
    Your quite handy with a camera my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by sandbankmagnet View Post
    interesting that that stream seemed to be running pretty well. It must be between the dams??
    Its just downstream from one of them, yes. I'm surprised that they're letting some out, unless it's the residue from driving the turbines.

kev

Love your pictures Kev.
    Dont suppose its funny, maybe ironic, but thats how I see Australia, as a dry arid country that people have tried to change over years to enhance their oportunity for a better life. Take for instants the farmers growing crops in area's that were never suitable for that crop. Take a look at the poor old murrey river, well whats left of it. Then take Tassie for another example of wasted land, farm land with rich soil that my grandfather and his generation spend hours/years clearing only to be planted with tree plantations when for years they grew food for the masses.
    So maybe our future needs to be dictated by our past and use the land for its natural intented purpose whilst remembering it is a dry arid land.
    cheers
    blaze

Things are going to be very grim without a decent spring storm season this year.
    Not to mention if the dry summer trend of 2000 - 2005 returns.
    As I write the NE is blowing as though it is already November, not a good omen IMO.
    Hope BOM is correct with their 'trending wetter' predictions for this summer.
    Cheers.

A couple of pictures of my bovine friends from my old farm in the middle of the drought in mid '90's in Warwick.
    The surrounding paddocks is what the whole Darling Downs looked like back then
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

certainly looks crook doesn't it. we're going to need some serious rain to get it back.

hey Kev, sounds like you checked the lines mate.

Matt
    c'mon, take the bait....

maybe the government should use pictures like that in some shock add compaign, like the speeding adds. Id bet theres many people that dont know (or care) how bad the situation really is.
    Saw a thing on TV about reducing 'bad water abusers' water pressure to there homes. Might seem drastic but if its going to make them save water, why not?.....but thats another story.
    Hinze doesn't look quite as bad as that.......but its only gonna be a matter of time

Great pics tho mate
    .......Ash