• Cost over $1000

10 25.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydro steering??

Red face Hydro steering??

Good Afternoon Gentle Fishermen

I have yet another question for you.

Over the last couple of months I have noticed the steering getting heavier on the old RumRunner, now it is powered with a 90hp 1999 model Johnson.

Well this morning I was thinking of diverting some of the Tax refund if I get one and can get the necessary approvals from the minister for domestic sciences and finances. ( she who must be obeyed) of installing Hydrolic steering into the old boat.

1 is it worth it?

2 what is the best most economical brand. (not an overly large refund)?

3 can I do it myself ( I am a novice but not too stupid) (dont ask the wife)?

4 do I have to pull the motor off the boat.?

5 should i just replace or drage the old cable out and redress it , I have been reading about using power steer fliud instead of grease but it has been greased up antil now, via the grease nipple on the tilt bar ? I think thats what it is called.

Thanks

Gordon

Re: Hydro steering??

hi ,
    i did my old signature from cable to seatar hydrolic and it transformed the boat , i was very impressed .

seastar and hydrive are your best bet , eithier one is ok and i would have a crack at it myself next time , here are installation instructions
    http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/OUTBOARD/oboard.htm

no you dont have to pull the motor off .

i hope that helps
    cheers
    mark

I di my current boat the the approx costs were cylinder $600, Helm $600, hyd lines $260.

With this settup I got 4 and a bit turns lock to lock, IMO it is worth chasing if you can a setup with less turns than the least costly options, also look at the centre mount cylinders if the splashwell/pod room allows, they are more direct due to less interacting and wearable parts, they also have the advantage of oil lines that stay still left and right but they still tilt up and down with the engine.

cheers fnq

hydrive, no feedback at all, one finger to steer, i would never have anything else again. mony well spent.

Baystar or seastar for about $ 800 .Bias boating carry them , easy enough to fit might need an offsider to bleed the system.

Mick

Just fitted Hydrive with the new 200 Opti, money very well spent, no feedback, easy as, especially on long runs.

$850.00

Don't know about on a 90 though, I would think good cable would do the job fine, maybe needs a service?

cheers

Hydrive Admiral series is the way to go i bought one 18 month's ago for $900 with every thing included even the oil and fitted it my self,very easy to install with exellent instruction's.Dan...........

Have to agree with Vitamin sea & death ship,

my recently fitted Hydrive is really good, so much better than the cable drive, tracks for miles in a straight line on good days, & on rough days it's much easier not having to fight the pressure on the motor.

Muzz

Anyone ever seen second-hand hydraulic steering for sale?

(Mind you, I don't know why you'd sell it, unless the hull was trashed in a prang or something.)

I will be going hydraulic, but I am also a bit of a cheapskate

Easier to get the cost passed by the minister of finance too.

yes, you have to pull the motor off to remove the old and fit the new, hydrive is the best

Just be carefull with buying the cheaper version's of the hydrive,sometime's the seal's are not avaliable.My mate found this out the hard way not being able to get a ram seal kit for his baystar.And just have a look at the diameter of the ram on hydrive compared to other brand's.Dan........

I fit a number of Seastar units.

They are slightly dearer, but more heavy duty than the Baystar.

Hydrive is also good in the HD models.

Again, you get what you pay for... so if you want it to last for many years with no problems, spend the few extra $$$ and get the better units.

I just fitted another Seastar Bollhorn (front mount) to a 19ft Stejcraft with a 150 $ stroke Yamaha.
    Before it was fitted, it was all you could do to hold the wheel under acceleration .... now it doesnt even flinch, and of course it steers a straight line, even if you let go of the wheel.

The owner was as happy as a dog with a tin d!*k

Cheers

Pete

gordon, you'll be wondering how the hell you ever had a boat without it. there's absolutely no feedback and the boat will basically run hands free if you want it to.

The only positive for cable, apart from cheap to install and cheap to maintain is that you can quickly feel if the boat is not trimmed correctly because the helm is heavy!!!! (I dont have hydraulic - its the only thing I HAVENT done to my old Vagabond and I will one day do it...not so much because of the weight/no weight on helm issue, but because when mooring in tight places with other boats nearby I cant crank the wheel as fast as I would like whilst applying throttle with one hand on each....

Thanks guys

The main reason I am considering it is that my young deckie , who has a licence isnt strong enough to pull the olf girl out of a hard turn, I need both hands to do it and even then find it hard, the deckie is just learning about trim.

I know I could resolve the issue by lubricating the cables but if i stick to the story of the deckie , theres more chance of approval. I will get him onto the case he can out whinge me and everyone else.

Anyone know anyone in the Wollongong area who is good fro price and service?

Gordon