Thread: Boat winches

Cool Boat winches

The boat winch on my boat trailer needs replacing . When bought a new winch a couple of years ago it didn't take long for a section of cable to flatten and now worn enough to be replaced. Would placing a turn buckle adjacent to the hook save the cable twisting. I mainly fish alone and find it hard when the loading the boat to hold the boat and try to untwist the cable at the same time. I presume its twisting that causes the flattening.

Re: Boat winches

just buy sprectra rope. It doesn't twist and is strong

Thank you for the suggestion. I live at Tin Can Bay. Is it readily available ie. Mitre 10, tackle shop etc. If not where do you suggest.

get the 'proper" one, it should be available from any marine shop, or at least ordered for you.

BLA have them already made up, with a hook, spliced on.What weight is your boat?
    David

Order it from www.biasboating.com.au from the catalogue and have it delivered. Go to Trailer winches in the dropdown menu on the website.
    They have 2 get the larger one as it has a snap hook which means it won’t come off if you are on your own before you take up the load. About $55 + delivery.

Rated to 3000Kg, won’t fray and you will never go back to either wire or strap.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    just buy sprectra rope. It doesn't twist and is strong

hey timddo ,
    i seem to have some problems with the spectra rope binding up when winched onto the drum ( electric winch ) which makes it hard to pull out when launching , have you had any dramas like that ?

cheers
    mark
    Last edited by marco; 08-08-2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: cant spell for shit

Thank to all that have replied .dnej it only a 3.9 stacer with marine ply flooring. Exact weight unknown.

The winch I have is a Jarret 5:1 with a 4mm wire rope. Maybe I maybe better off with a 5 mm wire rope?

HI PB,
    The spectra will change your life. Glascraft also stock it. Check their website.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    hey timddo ,
    i seem to have some problems with the spectra rope binding up when winched onto the drum ( electric winch ) which makes it hard to pull out when launching , have you had any dramas like that ?

cheers
    mark
    Did you pretension it as you wound it on? The instructions are quite specific about pretensioning it.
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    Did you pretension it as you wound it on? The instructions are quite specific about pretensioning it.
    Ray

sure did , and i took care in trying to do that properly . it seems to bind up a lot for the last 3 foot or so .

The pre made spectra ropes are great, but I would have some concerns about their UV resistance. We snapped JB's the other morning and its only about 3 years old.

I use Dyneema ( Spectra) which I got from Glascraft marine. You can order it over the phone from them or online and make the rope up yourself. I use mine on my electric winch & its wonderful. Holds no water and no stretch should it break.

Bloody great stuff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by peterbo3 View Post
    HI PB,
    The spectra will change your life. Glascraft also stock it. Check their website.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM