Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outboard Motor Advice Needed

Re: Outboard Motor Advice Needed

Damo,
    You are a screem,and very correct.
    ( LOL)
    Pete, It is going to be tough,with $7000.

Fourteen thousand,might get you closer,but even then,you will need to do a good check for softness,on the stern,and floor.

If you are not experienced with how to check them,better grab a friend, or pay someone,who know what to look for, else, you may need to fork out another 3 to 4000, to get them fixed.

Sometimes,this can be worse than second hand cars.
    David

mate for 7K you are always going to have an old motor if your talking haines 17's, try $15K and you will have a more modern motor. have a look on ebay to get price ideas, 17R's go cheaper and 16r's cheaper again, always check transom and floor for rot, really good hull for a first boat as they are forgiving and dont do alot wrong. or you could repower an old hull, decisions.....

Pete, with some smart searching you can get something very good for 7K. About 2 yrs back I bought as yard stock a 16ft Caribbean Palomino, 89 model, 90hp Merc 89 model (3 cylinder, oil injected, power trim etc etc), canopy, side curtains and travel cover, fishfinder, GPS, 27Meg, full safety gear, drive on trailer, entire boat in extremely good condition, white and blue colourings so still modern looking and that was 7K.

It sold for 13K..

Cheers

Damo,
    I love your theory, and can see that if i don't find anything shortly, i'll be spending 15K..(i wish)!!!
    David,
    I will be getting a marine mechanic to check out whatever i decide on....i know i don't know enough to confidently check out the motor, or the hull.
    Deathship,
    I know i'd be looking at old motors on the haines, but that is my dream find (gotta dream!)!!!
    BM,
    Thanks for the info re: the model numbers. The motor did only have numbers in it, not letters, and it certainly looked like an older model than a mid 80's. As for your find, i can only hope to find something like that.
    Thanks again guys,
    Pete

Theres plenty of them out there pete, just need to know what your looking for. I bought a Caribbean Concorde (5.4mtr) 88 model with an 88 model 115 Merc, same deal as the other boat. This one actually came from QLD anf form a marina brokerage where I got to know a bloke in the sales team.

Paid 12K, shipped it to Melb, didn't touch it (other than a safety gear top up perhaps) and sold it for $18,500.

Bought a boat for 2K, Stejcraft 18 footer with a holden 186 inboard with a Volvo 270 stern drive. This was a boat that had been bought 4 yrs prior from another dealer (and one who left all his customers feleing touched...) for 15K.

I sold it 1 hr after I bought it for 6K.

go for your dreams pete! if you know it will happen it will! sorry to get all zen on your ass. have fun chasing the holy grail

Hi Guys,
    Going to look at a Nautiglass Sportsman 17 Cuddy Cabin with a 90hp 1997 Mariner motor, tomorrow. Any thoughts or feedback on both the boat and the motor...good or bad? How does the hull handle...will be mainly used for bay cruising and fishing and tubing, but as my little one grows up, we (i mean dad) will want to venture further offshore for fishing. Asking price $7500!
    Cheers,
    Pete

Pete,
    A ten year old Mariner,should be a Mercury motor.I am not familiar with the hull.
    If you give the serial number to Mercury,they will confirm the model for you.
    David