Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Imported Seafood /Antibiotics /Superbugs / NOT SAFE

Imported Seafood /Antibiotics /Superbugs / NOT SAFE

News just hitting the airwaves is that AQUIS have detected levels of antibiotics in large percentages of seafood eg prawns etc from OS.

In a nutshell these low level detections are an issue as they pemit the development of superbugs that can then get into humans. Not clever as superbugs are already an issue in our hospitals and with the flu and gastro issues this is just another staw to break more "backs"

This together with resistance to antibiotics that is prevalent is the last thing we need.

Suggest you keep your eyes and open for more reports and if you ever thought about eating imported seafood think again.

No doubt this would include commercial food outlets that may choose the cheaper seafood for their food for sale.

Mods please place this where ever you deem appropriate

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Re: Imported Seafood /Antibiotics /Superbugs / NOT SAFE

Not good. The way they've thrown those antibiotics around is going to REALLY come back to haunt us. When I say "they" I don't just mean the Chinese either. It's just mind-blowingly crazy. What a stupid way to kill our own species off. Oh well.

Thanks for the post Chimo. I hope they get a handle on the situation fast and nothing bad happens.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Should be much better testing before we let that SHIT IN TO AUS

i believe its in our local chickens as well !!!!!!! this is not good

You know its not just these cheaper commercial outlets that are using these cheap imports, being a chef myself i can tell you that 95% of restaurants use this imported seafood, from prawns, scampi, freshwater bassa to even barramundi we are all importing from asia, and we've been getting it for the last 20+ years.
    I know that with these prawns, that we get from asia can also have a problem with a fungal diesese called white spot, now the problem is that because this prawn meat is so cheap that fisherman may start using these prawns as bait, and that the spread of this diesese to our local prawns, now that would be devistating.
    so next time your in a restaurant, just be sure to ask you waiter where the seafood your about to eat comes from.....

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by bennykenny View Post
    You know its not just these cheaper commercial outlets that are using these cheap imports, being a chef myself i can tell you that 95% of restaurants use this imported seafood, from prawns, scampi, freshwater bassa to even barramundi we are all importing from asia, and we've been getting it for the last 20+ years.
    I know that with these prawns, that we get from asia can also have a problem with a fungal diesese called white spot, now the problem is that because this prawn meat is so cheap that fisherman may start using these prawns as bait, and that the spread of this diesese to our local prawns, now that would be devistating.
    so next time your in a restaurant, just be sure to ask you waiter where the seafood your about to eat comes from.....
    and do you think they are going to be honest, had a meal in stanley in tassie some time back, on the menu was red emporor. The waitress told me it had been caught locally and fresh. I am in tassie. Global warming aint that hot yet
    cheers
    blaze

Quote Originally Posted by bennykenny View Post
    Benny,

I'm sure that if we asked where the seafood came from that we were about to eat, the staff would feign horror and/or dismay and reply, "Why sir! This establishment only sources the freshest and the best from local suppliers!"

It's a load of crud really. Makes you wonder just what we're eating sometimes.

TOL
    Last edited by theoldlegend; 03-08-2007 at 11:50 AM.

It's amazing when you see some of the origins of the seafood we sell in Australian supermarkets. Most of it is from Thailand, nigeria Indo. It's rediculous that we are importing foods such as Snapper and prawns from thailand when we have such a good local product. I spose it all comes down to the mighty dollar but to what risk ? I manage a supermarket and have drastically reduced the amount of seafood that I sell. I now only have a small frozen section, not the rediculous "thawed for your convinience" section. I did look into using a local supplier so I could sell proper fresh seafood but there is no need when he has a terrific shop only 2mins up the street.
    Cheers TT
    ________
    FIX PS3

There is no way you will find local seafood eg prawns etc in eateries due to price so the only way is to not order those meals that may contain the substandard imported gear and order only food that has to be our local stuff BUT make sure you tell the waiter / management etc the reason for so doing.

If enough people did this two things may happen
    1 food stores restaraunts may choose to not use imports (possibly unlikely) and importantly
    2 you won't ingest low dose antibiotics etc and as a result you willreduce your susceptibility for a superbug infection / and have a better treatment outcome if or when you have to go into a hospital

I know its not much but at least its having a go

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

I don't eat imported seafood anyway, i don't mind paying the extra dollars for local....according to bennykenny maybe i am in restaurants, will have to sus that out next time, thanks for the tip

Ed

There's one thing that you'll never see me buy and thats the ol Vanemei prawn. The Aussie prawners are getting cained enough by the regulations without getting out priced by the imported crap. I heard that the anitbiotics are there purely to keep the prawns alive because if they didn't the putrid dams etc they are farmed in would kill them ASAP. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Only caught the tail end of it on the news last night but they were talking to someone who has successfully canvassed to have raw prawns and prawn meat, banned from being imported.

kev

Top Tips:

Don't buy expensive 'ribbed' condoms, just buy an ordinary one and slip a handful of frozen peas inside it before you put it on.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    Only caught the tail end of it on the news last night but they were talking to someone who has successfully canvassed to have raw prawns and prawn meat, banned from being imported.

kev

Top Tips:

Don't buy expensive 'ribbed' condoms, just buy an ordinary one and slip a handful of frozen peas inside it before you put it on.
    yeah kev,

I also read an article a couple of days ago that confirms that raw prawns at least will no longer be imported.
    Bit of both good and bad in that though.
    We might need to hand out more trawling licences to cover the shortfall!

Also love your latest tip.
    Though as I'm sure my missus would say"why use peas when brussell sprouts taste so much better"

Scott

On the ABC show Quantum last night they had a section on a scientist in Aus who is on the warpath against antibiotics and drugs that is passing into our waterways and seas. He can test ANY treated sewerage water in Aus and get high levels of antibiotics and drugs in the samples. He is saying that the reproductive rates of fish and wild animals is being affected measureably.
    Imagine how much of "the pill" will pass through a females body and out through the sewerage treatment plants and into the waterways on a daily basis. Surely it could be accumulative in some animals or sealife.

This guy is of the opinion that this could well be our own breeding ground for superviruses in Australia.

I wonder how much of this stuff we will be recycling into our drinking waters if the sewerage plants cant pull out these chemical strings?

Jack.

In the manufacturing industry, if a product can be made in Aust and there is someone that wants to ' import ' that product from OS, it attracts a tarrif.

Prawns can be caught and grown in here, place a 100% tarrif on imports and see how they go !!!

Don't eat imports, but do favour farmed prawn.

IMO........

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here