Thread: 'Chasing' in a runabout

'Chasing' in a runabout

I've always wondered how, when people hook onto a big one and need to up the anchor and chase, they do it in a runabout. Do you lean over the side? Do it in reverse? Or just not do it at all?

Its something I'm thinking about to weigh up when I get my next boat (because of course I will be chasing lots of big ones in it )

Cheers

Re: 'Chasing' in a runabout

Good question, and When I hook up on the big one, its up anchor, see which way the fish is going, and full steam ahead. Got to get back the line, its costs too much. hehehe.

Mate! I would have to say all three. There's nothing worst than getting spooled.

Minno

I dream of getting spooled and then getting all the line+fish back
    I have caught some little reefies though in the tiny tinny and I wasn't anchored so I just went to the front of the tinny and they dragged around the bay for awhile.
    Last edited by finga; 02-08-2007 at 06:06 AM.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I have a runabout but very rarely fish at anchor usually just drift. If I need to chase a fish its easy, I just drive towards the fish on say a 30 degree offset. That way I can regain line and still be prepared if it changes direction towards the way the boat is traveling (to stop the line going under the boat). I'm sure a centre console would be easier but its not that much drama in a runabout.

Cheers Chris

Have a buoy clipped to the end of your anchor rope and also a caribina or clip to anchor point in well. Just undo the clip and throw it over. After you have landed the big one you just go to the Buoy and collect your anchor. Quick and safe

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    Have a buoy clipped to the end of your anchor rope and also a caribina or clip to anchor point in well. Just undo the clip and throw it over. After you have landed the big one you just go to the Buoy and collect your anchor. Quick and safe

that can get really messy with a couple hundred metres of rope thou.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Guts View Post
    that can get really messy with a couple hundred metres of rope thou.

That is how I have mine set up as well. Do you have an alternative? When you get one on that is spooling you, you do not always have the time, and posibly line capacity to pull the anchour up.