Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Fish bait' kangaroo heads found on beach

Re: 'Fish bait' kangaroo heads found on beach

I'm with finga and blaze on this one although how the heads came to be there is another issue. Maybe the pelicans prefer fish frames to roo heads. I think the media blow evrything out of proportion - how did they establish that they were used for "Fish bait"

sam

well im blaming the Vego;s

Yer fair go guys you can buy a lot of that sort of left overs from a lot of different places
    And as said in previous posts if it was out west somewhere no one would bat an eyelid.
    i shot roos in cunnamulla for seven years and once the carcuss has been tagged whats left can be used for what ever you like.
    As for it being illegal to use native animals for for fish or crab bait,why can you buy roo meat and roo tails to feed your dog .
    I think that statement is wrong ,I have used roo meat for for fresh water yabbys and crabs just go to your local porduce store and buy it ,Its good crab bait .
    And go to selected butcher shops and buy a feed for your family.
    How do you know how it was killed humanely or not roo shooters have to kill by head shot only did anyone go and have a look to see if it was shot in the head.
    My kids were bought up around roo shooters ,pig chasers,goat running , and even home butchery its how they do things in the bush .
    Fair enough its not what some people are used to but it happens so dont put them down for useing soo heads ,people all over australia do it .
    As for dumping them near the ramp they could have dumped away some where else

Well thats my 2 cents worth anyway

Thanks ......BOB

i was raised in victoria,,,,, my whole family stems from there,,,,, my brother in law ran a spot mill just north east of orbost for over 30 years and he trained irish wolfhounds as roo dogs,,,,

kangaroo meat,,,,,,, check out your local woolworths,,, its NOW THERE,,,, in presealed bags,,, all nice and colorful,,,

kangaroo tail soup,,,, loved it as a kid,,,,

the courier mail had an article in there paper today about 3 inches by 3 inches,,, and even though i agree with finga,,, its how the roos were killed that is the question,,,

finding that many to me,,, means that the chances of them JUST being killed is slim,,, not out of the question,,,but slim,,,,

being dumped is the grey area though,,,, if they were were used for crab bait,,, throw em back in,,,

not finding the carcass's is my concern,,,, these could have been used for consumption,,,hides,,dog food etc etc etc,,, it makes me wonder more that if the person/persons responsible have dumped the heads,,, what do they intend on doing with the rest

by the way,,, roo steak is bloody good tucker if prepared correctly,,,, can be a bit ""gamey"" if not hung,,, but a choice cut of meat

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

If killed roos, butchered them and ate them. Not a bad feed at all. IT's a funny thing that poeple around here would freak about roo heads cause about 2-3 years ago I was in Dysart (central west QLD) for work, when you turned off the main drag to enter the town someone had strung a massive GT to the street sign. Poeple were both discusted and freaked out about it, but if it was a roo head they would'nt of looked twice as it would'nt bother them in the least..
    ________
    Buy eas vape

Media beat up as per usual. Always a lot of holes in their stories to promote an emotionally based response(Worked).

I have softened in my method of killing fish these days because it is better for the quality of the flesh but I did what the old man practiced for years just letting them flip around to slowly suffocate on the bottom of a fish box with a wet sack over them, regretable!

Not a bad idea utilising the heads for bait if indeed that is what went down. The fact that no carcasses were keeping them company says to me that the dogs are eating well or maybe even the family.

I almost exclusively eat roo these days and would do up my own if I had access to them. I have done up my own meat in the past with my father in law who was a shearer and exposed me to good home killed meat properly hung years ago. Best thing in the world, the colour takes some getting used to, a shitty grey when well hung but you could eat it without teeth if you had to.

First time I did up my own meat I was very green around the gills but had decided that if I wanted to eat it then I had to earn the right to. Toddling off to the market to grab a pre packed meal is all good and well but somebody went to a lot of trouble to get it there and it wouldn't do people any harm to know how that all takes place .IMO

Cheere Glenn

Geez guys!

Didn't think this would get such a big response; couple of things to clear up:
    1. I'm about as far from a greenie as you can get
    2. I love roo meat on the Barbie - takes some getting used to but if I have the choice between steak and roo, skippy gets my vote all the time
    3. I have no problem with the roos being killed and their meat taken to feed a family or pets.
    4. I do disagree that the heads were left where they were though; if they were used for bait then like someone else said, chuck 'em overboard when you're finished with em in the crab pots or whatever. Next to the ramp isn't the place for 'em, it will attract sharks in that area - up here in Cairns there'd be scaly critters lining up everywhere
    5. I used to own a rifle so I am not anti gun ownership by any means.
    6. I do understand that all that meat we buy pre-packaged in the supermarket, someone has to "get their hands dirty" for it to be there.
    I also agree with Finga that if that's the worst that the kids see in their lives then they are lucky; however how do you explain how and why skippy's head is in the water and where the rest of skippy is to a kid of say 2 to 5 years old?

Again, I do not have a problem with the people who did it using the roo heads as crab bait or whatever, I just think that they should have been a bit more responsible where they dumped them after they had finished.
    Last edited by Synful; 01-08-2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Add xtra stuff at the end :-)
    Regards,

Andrew.
    =============
    W: www.agt.id.au
    M: 0410 834 486

I,m not into cruelty to animals or humans.
    But I've got no problem with shooting roo's as long as they are dispatched as painlessly as possible.
    Gee it must have been a slow news day to make a drama of a few roo heads.
    It's a sad reflection of our world where we send our young men overseas to kill other young men and often women,old folk and children too, but we make such a fuss over a few vermin.

Scott

Adults tend to be able to deal with seeing death better than kids can whether it be a pet, wild animals, or whatever but visions like severed roo heads in unlikely places such as this can be very disturbing for some children. We as adults need to set better examples for our kids and should use our brains a bit more to stop exposing our younger children to the unpleasantries that exist in this world. I'm with you on this one too Scott.

Poodroo

Quote Originally Posted by Synful View Post
    how do you explain how and why skippy's head is in the water and where the rest of skippy is to a kid of say 2 to 5 years old?

Again, I do not have a problem with the people who did it using the roo heads as crab bait or whatever, I just think that they should have been a bit more responsible where they dumped them after they had finished.
    Not picking on you Andrew but you've put the thoughts of many over so well.

Exactly the same way you explain the fish heads at the ramp and why Molly the moggy is sleeping in the middle of the road or why Nana doesn't visit anymore (if poor Nana has departed this good earth)
    Start explaining all of life's experiences early and the kids will be a lot better for it in the end.
    Bit like playing in the dirt...get them used to all the bugs in the dirt and they'll be better off for it later in life by building up their immune systems.
    No need to insulate/sterilise kids from dramas that happen in everyday life. It's going to happen sooner or later so it's better off sooner then later IMO .
    Sit them down and do some explaining and life will be sweet.

A couple of questions....
    How did everyone explain the act of fishing and bringing the fish home away from it's home...the act of scaling, gutting, chopping the head off and filleting of and then the dumping of the head, guts and frame of poor Nemo to their kids??
    How did everyone explain the act of pumping yabbies and threading them on a hook alive??
    etc etc you probably get my drift here.
    Sit the kids down and explain this unfortunate happening the same way and the kids will be better for the experience and a lot better for the explanation from the parents.
    I mean we're talking about little humans that, not so long ago, played in their own poo so the actual act of been horrified is a learned response from the parents not from their genetic make-up.

And who knows exactly how/where/why the heads were left. They could have been 300m out on the mudflats or the tide drifted them in?? It's all speculation.
    Who knows what the truth is as as soon as the paper grabs hold of the story sensationalism is the key to the story not the facts.

But if someone did do this on purpose they seriously need an attitude adjustment.
    Last edited by finga; 02-08-2007 at 08:47 AM.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Deception (Deliverance) Bay eh? Perhaps the local pimp found some younger stock and decided to have a clean out?

kev

Top Tips:

Smokers. "Every cigarette you smoke takes 10 seconds off your life", health experts say. To combat this, at the end of every day work out how many seconds you have 'lost', and simply go to bed that much later, or wake up that much earlier the next morning. Hey presto! your lost time is returned.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

still don't have "Skippy" on the menu at my place, but I know they can be and are a pest in some places, kind of like those bloody shit White Cockatoos at my place, if I had a gun I would not think twice about blasting the noisey destructive crap things.

It's amazing how we react to television. It's put up on the screen for all to see & suddenly there's outrage over a few roo heads found in the general population. I wonder what would happen if you gathered up the cow heads from an abattoir & scattered them on the beach, wholely bloody hell what an uproar. As a few have pointed out it's what your used to & within reason.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Us ignorant lot.

Matt
    c'mon, take the bait....

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Exactly the same way you explain the fish heads at the ramp and why Molly the moggy is sleeping in the middle of the road or why Nana doesn't visit anymore (if poor Nana has departed this good earth)
    Start explaining all of life's experiences early and the kids will be a lot better for it in the end.
    Bit like playing in the dirt...get them used to all the bugs in the dirt and they'll be better off for it later in life by building up their immune systems.
    No need to insulate/sterilise kids from dramas that happen in everyday life. It's going to happen sooner or later so it's better off sooner then later IMO .
    Sit them down and do some explaining and life will be sweet.

A couple of questions....
    How did everyone explain the act of fishing and bringing the fish home away from it's home...the act of scaling, gutting, chopping the head off and filleting of and then the dumping of the head, guts and frame of poor Nemo to their kids??
    How did everyone explain the act of pumping yabbies and threading them on a hook alive??
    etc etc you probably get my drift here.
    Sit the kids down and explain this unfortunate happening the same way and the kids will be better for the experience and a lot better for the explanation from the parents.
    I mean we're talking about little humans that, not so long ago, played in their own poo so the actual act of been horrified is a learned response from the parents not from their genetic make-up.
    well said finga

al

Im an accredited roo shooter and although i know little about this incident there seems to be a few problems.
    Firstly the heads seem to be whole from what i can gather, if the roo's were taken in accordence with the laws they would have been head shot, and for those that havent seen a roo head after its been hit by a 223, lets say theres quite often not much left.
    Secondly eastern greys are protected this side of the ranges, so if there locally killed that also is illegal.
    Thirdly, its part of the feild processing laws of wild game meat either for human or animal consumption that any off cuts or discarded parts be desposed of in such away as to NOT discredit the industry, so dumping of heads on or near the beach would be a violation id suspect.
    I for one have used heads of sheep, pigs, chickens, rabbits, fish etc for crab bait many times, but i think that in this case there are a few answers that need answering ...foxy