Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PNG Black Bass

PNG Black Bass

Giday I was wondering if anyone had been lucky enough to go and fish for Papuan Black Bass? A mate and I are in the early stages of planing a trip to PNG and alooking for afew pointers, where, How, What gear to use. Is our impoundment barra gear going to handle these fish?

Cheers J&B

Re: PNG Black Bass

Saw a flick on it once with Warren Steptoe.

The black bass can grow to be a massive and powerful fish.

From what I recall the old impoundmant barra gear would not be up to the task.

I know Wilson have an overhead Live Fibre rod known as the PNG Black Bass, this is purpose built for extracting these monsters from the snaggy rivers and creeks in PNG.

Cheers

Jim

The video i saw on them the guy was using 60lb braid and regularly getting busted off, he was tightning his drag using pliers also.

J&B, there's a couple of members on Ausfish that used to live in PNG. They've posted quite a few photos and threads on Black Bass, PNG etc. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find their names, you can then PM then for all the info you need if they're obliging.

Cheers Jeff.

J&b ,
    New Britian better known for its Diving and the Volcano's you may have seen in 1994 ( I was there) Black Bass and spot tails are in most rivers in New Britian and larger Islands in the Archepeligo's.
    There are many tour opperators sprouting up , there is a good one on the western side (so i am advised) Kimbe is your port of call , If you want to get hold of some Airfares etc let me know....
    Mick

I envey you would love to do a trip to PNG maby it will happen one day please when you get back let us know round about cost and how you went?

Cheers TT

i wouldn't go if i were you.

mainly because it would make me jealous

i saw et catching them on poppers once, thats what i would be doing

Go over to www.polyboatowners.com and have a talk with 'Squizzy Taylor'. He used to live up there and is a friendly and helpful bloke.
    Cheers
    Craig aka BBB

Thanks for the help guys will try the poly boat owners for Squizzy.

Cheers

J&B

Would give anything to have a chance to fish for a black bass, they are at the top of the list of fish I have yet to catch.

A couple of things I've been warned about... Make sure you are on a guided tour, not wise to try and find your own way around.

Secondly, would go with the best gear you can. IMO you might do better than live fibre & no el cheapo lures & hooks.

Black Bass have been rated as one of the top fighting fish on the planet.

good luck

r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Hello there, did I hear someone say Black Bass?? Awesome fish along with the spot-tails. We used to primarily troll the rivers and creeks in West New Brittain with vipers/jindiviks and rapalas being the gun lures. Many people do flick lures for them but their sheer power makes trolling a good option. We used to fish Abu7000's 50lb Dacron and ugly sticks and believe me thats still giving them too much of a chance to get away, having said that Id love to get up there now with a new school spin reel and see what damage could be done.
    I used to work for a guy Called Rickard Reimann who has since opened Baia Sportsfishing Lodge (as seen on ET twice now) and while expensive-ish Rickard is hands down the best fisho I have ever known and knows every Cay, beach, bommie and reef anywhere near there. Alternatively I do know a guy based in Kimbe who might be interested in doing a day trip or two. Also dont forget the saltwater sportfishing is brilliant up there too with up to 10 species regularly caught in a day. Its a shame there arent more guided operations however check with PNG tourism as there may be one or two newer ones that have sprung up. When I was there it was regular fishos like myself that ended up taking tourists out as there was no-one operating with the usual deal being the guest supplies lunch, drinks and fuel. The San-Remo club in Kimbe is the local watering hole and could also be a spot to find a ride. Hope this is of some help.

Geoff Taylor

Good advice Geoff we may be talking about the same lodge in WNB , were you in Rabaul at any stage ?

Roz, The locals have a big say in you fishing alone there of course is the safety aspect of it however the Locals own the fish so i am told. There are smaller groups popping up running guides that dont cost an arm and leg, most of these are known to local in the area and not yet advertised as such. Air New Guinea Fly direct from Cairns to Rabaul and are looking at putting in an International Terminal soon which will be great. And as Geof mentioned the fishing in the Salt is great, avoid October as the Bianing winds Pick up.
    Mick

I did a couple of brief stints in Rabaul (2 weeks) as a releiving manager at PNG Motors Sandman but thats all. Most of my time I was based in Lae with the exception opf the 18months in Kimbe. There is also Bendoroda lodge which is on the South Coast of West new brittain but I have never been there to see or fish it.
    I would not go-it alone if I were you as the locals can be funny on whom owns what and it can change from day to day (really!). A 2kg fish can end up costing you $100 if there is a smart a$$ around, the guides know the villagers and whom really owns what. Its also worth emailing the hotels/resorts and asking about guide services. Try Walindi Resort which is actually a dive resort and there is a new motel in town which is also owned by the Reimann family, there are references to it on the Baia website.
    Back to the Bass though, Imaging trying to stop a very pi$$ed off 50lb Mangrove Jack on steroids!! combine that with the fact that they dont attack like most predators, when they see a lure etc they actually come around from behind and nail the lure on thier way back to cover giving to poor bugger with the rod about 1 second to strike and turn em around or say goodbye to your lure and terminal tackle. The back is aching just thinking about it!!

GT
    Last edited by squizzytaylor; 03-08-2007 at 10:08 AM.