Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pfluger rods

Re: pfluger rods

A mate of mine in Townsville has snapped two custom built Live Fibres fighting GT's.$800 a pop.I think some manufacturers haven't caught up with modern braid technology yet.

I own a 7"0 Pfluger 2-4kg and love it. Cast my plstics beautifully, landed a 50cm snapper on it yesterday no probs.

maybe its an issue to do with the common users of the rods...they are the lower-middle range of the market which may indicate that less experienced people may be using them therefor leading to snapped tips due to high sticking and overload etc..

i work in the industry and rarerly see them come back...i dare say they cant be any worse than Strudwicks reputation for broken tips

Quote Originally Posted by mad max View Post
    i work in the industry and rarerly see them come back...i dare say they cant be any worse than Strudwicks reputation for broken tips
    Hence why the strudwicks were recently on special at BCF. The trions have a nice fast action and feel, but seem to be pretty flimsy. I will keep it for a while then probably get something more series like a t-curve.
    Not enough time in the day, to many spots to fish!

Very interesting in good to take on board i purchased a pluger 2-4kg rod for sp's retailed for around $130 a few months ago can't actually remember the series of which it was but the day after i bought it i went for a flick in the river and second cast i hook a little flattie (undersize i might add) and the tip snapped off about 5cm from the top. Took it back to bcf the same day (within 24hrs from purchase) and they wanted to send it off to be repaired i said i wasn't real happy with that and they eventually gave me my money back. It was very interesting to note that after the manager agreed to refund my money that the checkout person said to me that there had been quite a few of this model returned and yet the manager of this particular store had tried to make out i must have done something to this rod, anyway ended up spending less in fact just $75 on a 7ft berkley dropshot 2-4kg rod and have not a problem at all for a budget rod i could not recommend them highly enough, i have a couple of shimano's ($70-$120 rods) and i find the berkley far more reliable.
    Maybe the rods are part of a bad batch or maybe as they are on display people are weakening them by bending tips over and putting back on rack or during transport. I'm not sure but that was my theory.

i think they may just be useing blemished blanks. its seems they dont do a very good quality test if many tips are breaking off and by the sounds of things its a very common occurance, so stear clear imo. i recently got a shimano sss 1 peice 1-3kg sp for the gf and one for myself, $50 a pop each and ive loaded it up a few times now, even dragged snags to give it a test and so far so good, even needed two hands to high stick fight a fish outta snags no probs, great rod for half the price of these tip snappers!

pflueger sounds a bit dodgy to me, i probs wont be buying their gear

From the reports I heard from my local shop, well over a year ago now, was that some of the pfleuger rods were having manufacturing defects but, were warrentied no problem. Saying that, value for money the trion range is just about the best you can get for around the $100 and over a very high quality graphite, resulting in the possibility of breaking due to miss treatment. But in the case of people such as Roydsy, I am sure that the rod was pampered. I did own a 2-4kg spin rod and never had an issue with it.

Guess all this is leading to me saying buy large items from your local tackle shop as once the staff get to know you the extra service provide is priceless imho.

Quote Originally Posted by B_E_N View Post
    i think they may just be useing blemished blanks. its seems they dont do a very good quality test if many tips are breaking off and by the sounds of things its a very common occurance, so stear clear imo. i recently got a shimano sss 1 peice 1-3kg sp for the gf and one for myself, $50 a pop each and ive loaded it up a few times now, even dragged snags to give it a test and so far so good, even needed two hands to high stick fight a fish outta snags no probs, great rod for half the price of these tip snappers!

Funny you mention that rod...maybe you got a lucky one, i see 1 of those come back with busted tips almost every weekend, 10 of the sss come back for every other graphite rod.

REALLY!, geez (touch wood) ill keep my mouth shut now lol, not gonna jynx myself, ive done it in the past but with car trouble!

What I love is how people "in the industry" always like to blame us "inexperienced" types for rod breakages.

i see theyre 20% off at ######## for this month.musnt be movin very well.ned.

oops.ive been censored.that would be a coffs harbour store.ned

Quote Originally Posted by craftycarp View Post
    What I love is how people "in the industry" always like to blame us "inexperienced" types for rod breakages.
    maybe if you worked in the industry, you would understand that 7/10 times thats actually the case...whether they were highsticking it, car door, fan, general lack of care, trying to get a snag off the wrong way..etc etc

Ben: hope i didnt jinx it for ya mate haha..they arent actually too bad a rod for 50 bucks, how can ya go wrong really, i think id invest in one if i was headin overseas or travelling maybe.

To add another one - I have a 15kg Contender stand-up overhead rod that I have had bent over so far that the 50lb fins on the reel has cut the eva foregrip

Only problem is that the reel seat has twisted off the centreline.... Guess I'm going to have to rebuild it....

Funny the Struddy mention, I was going to say maybe they use the same blank manufacturer?

I also wouldn't mind knowing how a Live Fibre ends up being $800 no matter how custom it is!
    Last edited by BenatCoffs; 03-08-2007 at 09:23 PM.