Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hotted up alveys

hotted up alveys

anyone tried to hot up there alvey to improve casting distance?? shaved the spool etc? have heard of tournament caster doing this. anyone had a go?

Re: hotted up alveys

That is a brilliant idea

I'm sure you don't need all that lip for the reel to operate properly. Good thinking Drew

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

sand the leading edge with some 400 wet and dry sand paper works a treat.

right, im off to the shed...... should have a spool lying around some where!

G-day Drew (surf snipper is better). Post a pic of the end result. John Pope probably has done it before ,have you spoken to him about it? ...foxy

It will be interesting to see how you go with this one. I have heard of it being down, but not too sure if it is worth all the effort.

hey foxy, how you been? yeah, surf man sounds a bit skirty dosen't it i will post up a pic of the finnished result i come up with.

looking at the regulay 650 spool it appears that there isnt a lot that can come off it. may have to turn up a spool on the lathe to my own specs...

i should go and see john, havent spoken to him for some time. im sure he would know. he has been a wealth of info to me on many occasions.

Gidday Surf man

You are correct about hotting up alveys.................you can do it yourself,

But sometime ago...not sure how long but Alvey actually did make alvey reels for tournament casters.

I have a couple of mates whom tournament cast and will throw 140-160 metres regularly with these shaved down alveys.

Let us know I will try and get a couple of pictures so you can possibly model

cheers
    budgebass

Pictures would be good as turning a spool is easy as but knowing what shape is the hard bit
    That'll be good...a pimped out Alvey. You could even put those LED's that they use on car valve stems in the spool so they can light up at night and look all pretty especially when a big Jew grabs the bait and hook and runs like a steam train
    It been raining a lot lately hasn't it
    Last edited by finga; 25-08-2007 at 07:31 AM.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Finga, Now that will be worth a look, a pimped up Alvey!! Hope the rain keeps coming until the project is complete.

pics would be great bugebass. was going to give it a nudge today but instead am heading up to rainbow to get some good pics of this sailing ship that has washed up for the collection. should be good with the huge seas. just hope i can get past all the flooding up that way. rainbow has recieved 730mm of rain in the last 24 hours!! the record for queensland!

Finga
    Then you need to work out a custom strike alert, so its got a real snarl as the line peels off..... lights, sound effects, veerry pimp.

Drew
    Give Bruce Alvey a ring at the Factory, if anyone knows a thing or two about alveys its Bruce ,,,, and a top bloke as well .
    rando
    Last edited by rando; 25-08-2007 at 08:42 AM.

Heya Drew

I just load 1000m of 6kg or a bit less than that of 10kg (platinum) on to my 650's then pack the last 30m toward the lip. It kind of has the same effect as shaving the spool without the permancy.

It's a slippery slope if you chase distance too hard and I have seen fish sitting on banks even pro casters would never reach.

agree straddie, have been thinking the same thing about leaving the standard spool and loading up closer to the front lip, however have had a few thoughts about " Creating " a new spool and their possible benifits.

i reckon every little bit helps, if my bait is that much closer to a big fish then the guy next to me i reckon ive still got a better chance.

rain has given me plenty of time to think lately, have had some fairly radical ideas on how to send a bait out....haha

Surf-man/Straddie
    What causes birdnests on an Alvey.
    From Time to time I get a line-snarl, when I really go for it trying to fire out the big one.It never happens if I dont "really give it to it".
    Ive thought it might be the line lay was a bit crook but don't really know. ???