View Poll Results: Which knot do you use to tie your main line to your leader?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Albright

44 61.11%
  • Yacatan

10 13.89%
  • Other

18 25.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Albright Vs. Yacatan

Re: Albright Vs. Yacatan

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_N View Post
    G'day James

No problems with the knot catching - but the tag does stand out at 90 degrees from the main line and can give you some problems in that regard. To overcome these I use the Rizutto finish and if I am tying them at home I also use a dab of araldite.

As GPB says, the Rizzuto is the finish that Geoff Wilson uses on his bimini. Make a separate loop, wind your tag around the main line and the loop, put the end of the tag through the loop and pull the tag back up the line under the loops and tighten. Looks difficult, but is fairly simple - just follow the instructions at this link:

http://www.fishnet.com.au/library/kn...minitwist.html

Doing this stops me from wanting to cut the tag of the no-name too short. Too short avoids catching the runners - but may put the knot at risk of coming undone.
    The finish is just that, a finish and it can be cut short without compromising the integrity of the knot. Constant casting might loosen the finish - but I usually have a drop of araldite on it to smooth the tag to the line and to give it some protection.

Probably sounds like a lot of stuffing around - but I like to fish relatively light and this setup gives me max knot strength and reliablility. I no longer lose fish to inadequate knots

FWIW

Tony
    Ok thanks alot mate - what do you rekon the diameter would be? Bigger then 2mm?? When you wind the knot through the guide do you have to wind harder to push it through? That is what i mean when i say my albright gets caught. I can get it through but it gets anoying when your casting over and over... Ill have to do some more knot tying and experimenting!! So you leave the tag a bit longer to finish it off?

Thanks - James
    Ps...do you have to use that loop to pull the tag through at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard 92 View Post
    Ok thanks alot mate - what do you rekon the diameter would be? Bigger then 2mm?? When you wind the knot through the guide do you have to wind harder to push it through? That is what i mean when i say my albright gets caught. I can get it through but it gets anoying when your casting over and over... Ill have to do some more knot tying and experimenting!! So you leave the tag a bit longer to finish it off?

Thanks - James
    Ps...do you have to use that loop to pull the tag through at the end?

G'day again James

I'm not trying to be a smartarse when i say that the diameter of the knot depends on the diameter of the lines used. Thinner than a double uni, thicker than a slim beauty
    Yep Leave yourself 15-20 cms of tag until you work out how much you need. The loop might not be essential, but it makes it MUCH easier to snug it all up.

The best way to help a knot that has a couple of bumpy bits on it to get through the runners is to give it a smoothing dab of araldite

As you say, pratice is the key

cheers

Tony

After reading test results in sportsfish article I have taken to reducing bimini to 12 turns ...yepp .. hoodathunkit..

Have been using no name or yakutan knot which is a lil trikky to get from the online diagrams .. what I have found is to point the tag end of the mono away/ paralel to itself pointing toward the long end of the mono ..when u do the scrunch ..

To wet it and get it to coil neatly is the trik.. I havent had it fail ...yet...And gee it goes through the guides well. I was doing a similar knot with an overhand finish ..

I have also had more failure in zips then overhand finishes in my biminis, that surprised me to.. dont know why , but they just seem to work loose sometimes and the bim uncoils..

Actually the above pictured "deckies knot" looks to be exactly what i am doing ..

After posting a few weeks back I have been using a bimini/yucatan combo on all casting kit and have found it to be very good. I will continue to tie improved albright on the boat though as I fish barefoot and I am not tying a bimini in braid barefoot

In really light gear I'll use uni/uni though as I find the knot is tapered better for making it's way though the guides. This is especially important using 1/32 jigheads and trying to cast more than 15-20 metres

I still love the way the yucatan pulls up, such a nice looking knot...

[quote=carpel;677174]After reading test results in sportsfish article I have taken to reducing bimini to 12 turns ...yepp .. hoodathunkit..

quote]

Can you tell me where I can find this article?

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"