View Poll Results: Which knot do you use to tie your main line to your leader?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Albright

44 61.11%
  • Yacatan

10 13.89%
  • Other

18 25.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Albright Vs. Yacatan

Re: Albright Vs. Yacatan

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    The Bimini if properly tied in mono is close to 100% B/S so the resulting weak point is the same ie Albright or whatever doing the join. Braid has shown some cases of not retaining knot strength in common double knots
    Ok so do you think i would be better off tying an improved albright knot with a single mainline? I will be using 30lb fins braid and 60lb jinkai leader.

James

Thats what I use with a Centauri knot to the terminals. I just did a bit of a search on the matter and it would appear that this would be the strongest system for braid to leader.
    The double uni in particular seems to be a poor system even though many people swear by it. The Tony Jones and Slim Beauty seem to be 5-10% weaker than the improved Albright but may protect the braid from abrasiona little more.
    I would suggest that a variety of factors also come into play such as line diameters, type of braid and leader hardness so test your knots on the lines you want to join

Cheers

Neil
    Last edited by Horse; 04-08-2007 at 12:14 PM.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Thats what I use with a Centauri knot to the terminals. I just did a bit of a search on the matter and it would appear that this would be the strongest system for braid to leader.
    The double uni in particular seems to be a poor system even though many people swear by it. The Tony Jones and Slim Beauty seem to be 5-10% weaker than the improved Albright but may protect the braid from abrasiona little more.
    I would suggest that a variety of factors also come into play such as line diameters, type of braid and leader hardness so test your knots on the lines you want to join

Cheers

Neil
    Ok thanks - What do you mean it is what you use with a centauri knot to the terminals?

Hook, lure or swivel

cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Hook, lure or swivel

cheers

Neil
    ok thanks - so you use a single line imrpoved albright?

Yep. I have not found any evidence to show that doubles improve knot stregth in braid
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Yep. I have not found any evidence to show that doubles improve knot stregth in braid
    Wow ok thanks - dose it in mono?

James
    Last edited by Mudguard 92; 04-08-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Doubling the braid help's prevent knot slip not strength.Dan.......

Who uses a uni knot to tie to tackle/termials. Have you found them to be reliable, and horse do you know what their % breaking strain is?

James

Do a bit of a search to confirm what various sites are saying. It would apear that the Uni Knot is good for 75%-80% of the B/S of the line and knots like the Centauri can be as high as 90% ( eg marinenews.com)
    I think you have to test your own knots and materials and see what works for you
    Last edited by Horse; 06-08-2007 at 07:07 PM.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Do a bit of a search to confirm what various sites are saying. It would apear that the Uni Knot is good for 75%-80% of the B/S of the line and knots like the Centauri can be as high as 90% ( eg marinenews.com)
    I think you have to test your own kniots and materials and see what works for you
    Ok thanks - ill do a search

James

Tried 'em all - but for my tying skills, Bimini to Yucatan (no-name, deckies, duck nose, bristol etc etc) seems to be not only the strongest, but also the most reliable - does need to be pulled up very tight though and I usually use a Rizzuto finish just to make sure it isn't inclined to slip
    FWIW

Tony

Ok thanks. We went to Awoonga last weekend and i still had problems with the Albright getting caught in the guides of my T-Curve. I didnt think it would because the guides are bigger than my Bass Raider... . Tony do you have problems with the Bimini or Yacatan getting caught on your guides? Whats the Rizzuto, how/where do you tie it and do you have any links to explain it? I just measured one of my Albrights with 30lb Fins braid and 60lb Jinkai leader it is 1.5mm wide and 2mm high...

James

The Rizzuto is a way to finish the Bimini twist, nothing to help you with the albright problem, go to the Deckie, Yacatan, Tony Jones, Bristol [same type of knot] if you are casting through your runners.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard 92 View Post
    Ok thanks. We went to Awoonga last weekend and i still had problems with the Albright getting caught in the guides of my T-Curve. I didnt think it would because the guides are bigger than my Bass Raider... . Tony do you have problems with the Bimini or Yacatan getting caught on your guides? Whats the Rizzuto, how/where do you tie it and do you have any links to explain it? I just measured one of my Albrights with 30lb Fins braid and 60lb Jinkai leader it is 1.5mm wide and 2mm high...

James
    G'day James

No problems with the knot catching - but the tag does stand out at 90 degrees from the main line and can give you some problems in that regard. To overcome these I use the Rizutto finish and if I am tying them at home I also use a dab of araldite.

As GPB says, the Rizzuto is the finish that Geoff Wilson uses on his bimini. Make a separate loop, wind your tag around the main line and the loop, put the end of the tag through the loop and pull the tag back up the line under the loops and tighten. Looks difficult, but is fairly simple - just follow the instructions at this link:

http://www.fishnet.com.au/library/kn...minitwist.html

Doing this stops me from wanting to cut the tag of the no-name too short. Too short avoids catching the runners - but may put the knot at risk of coming undone.
    The finish is just that, a finish and it can be cut short without compromising the integrity of the knot. Constant casting might loosen the finish - but I usually have a drop of araldite on it to smooth the tag to the line and to give it some protection.

Probably sounds like a lot of stuffing around - but I like to fish relatively light and this setup gives me max knot strength and reliablility. I no longer lose fish to inadequate knots

FWIW

Tony
    Last edited by Tony_N; 19-08-2007 at 10:37 AM.