View Poll Results: Which knot do you use to tie your main line to your leader?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Albright

44 61.11%
  • Yacatan

10 13.89%
  • Other

18 25.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Albright Vs. Yacatan

Re: Albright Vs. Yacatan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    A 25 to 28 turn Bimini for 20lb fireline and a Improved Albright with a lock will break above the bimini on the mainline.If you tie the albright correctly with the lock it can't come undone and you can trim it as close as possible,it's an easy knot which you can tie in the dark by feel.I have dragged 5 and 6 mtr boat's across creek's with this combination so it's definatly strong .I have also used this knot combo with whiplash,sufix,millenium,harro's,spiderfusion,fin' s,brutally strong and gorilla braid.Dan...........
    Hmm ok thanks mate - i found a link for the improved albright so ill give it ago. But how and why do you use a bimini on an albright?

James

You use the bimini to double the line thickness giving more bight in the knot and a doubled line thickness also give's double the knot strength.The bimini is stronger than the spider hitch as it's a twist and not a knot but the spider hitch is still a usefull way of doubling the line and i can tie it neater so i prefer it.Remember to tuck the tag end back under the second last lay in your albright then finish the wrap's and you won't have any problem's.Dan............

You use the bimini to double the line thickness giving more bight in the knot and a doubled line thickness also give's double the knot strength.The bimini is stronger than the spider hitch as it's a twist and not a knot but the spider hitch is still a usefull way of doubling the line and i can tie it neater so i prefer it.Remember to tuck the tag end back under the second last lay in your albright then finish the wrap's and you won't have any problem's.Dan............
    Ok thanks - what do you mean by tuckin the tag under the 2nd last lay in the albright?? I found this link is this how you do it?

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtech...imp_albrt.html

James

Well the way i do it is like this,fold over about 4-5 inche's of your leader then poke your doubled line through the doubled leader make 5 wrap's up then 3 back then poke the line under one of your first wrap's then do the last 2 wrap's and pull tight.Give it a good shock load and pull everything as tight as you can everything will pull up nice and snug then trim off leader tag as close as possible and same with the mainline tag remember to exit the line oppisite to the entry.It sound's complicated but with all knot's if your shown it make's it alot easyier but if you practice a few time's you will get and be quick at it also.It's the best leader knot that i know of or have used for the last ten year's or'so i've never had it fail once so i trust it 100% Dan.............

Well the way i do it is like this,fold over about 4-5 inche's of your leader then poke your doubled line through the doubled leader make 5 wrap's up then 3 back then poke the line under one of your first wrap's then do the last 2 wrap's and pull tight.Give it a good shock load and pull everything as tight as you can everything will pull up nice and snug then trim off leader tag as close as possible and same with the mainline tag remember to exit the line oppisite to the entry.It sound's complicated but with all knot's if your shown it make's it alot easyier but if you practice a few time's you will get and be quick at it also.It's the best leader knot that i know of or have used for the last ten year's or'so i've never had it fail once so i trust it 100% Dan.............
    Oh yea I get ya - if you cut the tags off too close wouldnt they pull through? All i have to do now is learn how to tie the bimini

Thanks Mate - James

No mate the tag's won't pull through if you pull that knot up tight that's why you pull it up before cutting the tag's off.(confused yet?)Have a go at it and tie a few it will never let you down,i used this knot when i was guiding and it can't let you down when people are paying up to $1000 a day for extended charter fishing trip's it also get's too expensive replacing lost lure's to fish especially in the kimberly!!Dan.................

I just tied up a few yucatans off bimini's and I reckon they come up pretty nice... Will be interested to see how they fish though....

It's funny, I can't tie a bimini in mono to save myself and use plaits, but I just did some in braid, 50 turn and they came out a treat, almost too easy....

Quote Originally Posted by BenatCoffs View Post
    I just tied up a few yucatans off bimini's and I reckon they come up pretty nice... Will be interested to see how they fish though....

It's funny, I can't tie a bimini in mono to save myself and use plaits, but I just did some in braid, 50 turn and they came out a treat, almost too easy....
    Ok cool - last night i tried to tie about half a dozen biminis on mono but once i pulled tag tight the knot wouldent tighten up past the 4 turns to lock the knot, i might have ago on some braid..

James

Bimini twist and improved allbright knot work well for me.

Another thing most of the Bass pro fella do is cut the tag of the leader a fraction longer (1mm) then melt the tag down to the allbright knot with cig lighter (careful not to melt the main leader...just fold it back out of the way). When the tag is melted down to the knot, roll the melted bit and the whole knot in your fingers to smooth it a little.wont ever slip thru your knot and you wont get the main line getting caught in your tag. This will also help you knot run thru the guides better on casting. Just check you main leader to make sure it hasn't been damaged by the melting process(this usually only occurs when alcohol is involved or in the dark )

hope that is a helpful tip.

regards steve
    Last edited by Steve B; 31-07-2007 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Bimini twist and improved allbright knot work well for me.

Another thing most of the Bass pro fella do is cut the tag of the leader a fraction longer (1mm) then melt the tag down to the allbright knot with cig lighter (careful not to melt the main leader...just fold it back out of the way). When the tag is melted down to the knot, roll the melted bit and the whole knot in your fingers to smooth it a little.wont ever slip thru your knot and you wont get the main line getting caught in your tag. This will also help you knot run thru the guides better on casting. Just check you main leader to make sure it hasn't been damaged by the melting process(this usually only occurs when alcohol is involved or in the dark )

hope that is a helpful tip.

regards steve
    Hmm ok i might give it ago. Can you tie the improved albright without a double line?

James

Thumbs up Re: Albright Vs. Yacatan

Single line is no problem.

I've never had problems with the spiders hitch & yucatan knots.

I can't tie a bimini to save myself despite numerous attemp and the spiders hitch is much easier to tie especially in dim light or when you're in a hurry to re-rig.

I've been shown how a spiders hitch will fail on impact by people giving the line a sudden jerk (line wrapped around their hands thus no give at all).

My counter is that you'd have to be using a handline for a striking fish to subject the knot to that sort of sudden jerk.

If you're using a rod, even with the drag screwed tight, the rod itself will cushion the knot.

Luc
    Last edited by Luc; 03-08-2007 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    I've never had problems with the spiders hitch & yucatan knots.

I can't tie a bimini to save myself despite numerous attemp and the spiders hitch is much easier to tie especially in dim light or when you're in a hurry to re-rig.

I've been shown how a spiders hitch will fail on impact by people giving the line a sudden jerk (line wrapped around their hands thus no give at all).

My counter is that you'd have to be using a handline for a striking fish to subject the knot to that sort of sudden jerk.

If you're using a rod, even with the drag screwed tight, the rod itself will cushion the knot.

Luc
    Ok - I have been trying to tie some biminis with mono, no luck! I must be doing something wrong. I will have ago with braid tonight. Going to Awoonga soon so i want to be able to tie them by then - as well as the Improved Albright. Dont really want to go with the spider hitch...

Thanks - James

Quote Originally Posted by GPB View Post
    Single line is no problem.
    Ok thanks. If you tied it with the bimini would having the 2 knots make it weaker, or stronger because of the double line?

The Bimini if properly tied in mono is close to 100% B/S so the resulting weak point is the same ie Albright or whatever doing the join. Braid has shown some cases of not retaining knot strength in common double knots
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"