Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing in gladstone area?

Fishing in gladstone area?

Going to gladstone for a week and staying at tannum sands and would like some advice for fishing in this area.
    I was planning to do a trip to Awoonga,never been there and any advice and tips on where to fish would be greatly appreciated.
    Also want do do some saltwater fishing,where should I start?techniques?
    I should get new boat this week to take with me(4.2 stessco).

Thanks Craig
    Last edited by catfishkid; 23-07-2007 at 08:45 PM.

Re: Fishing in gladstone area?

Craig,
    It will depend on the prevailing winds.
    It's a bit cold for Awoonga, but you never know...
    You could launch at Boyne and fom there you can go out to seal rocks or up the front of facing island if it's not too choppy.
    Or you can launch at Toolooa bends and fish the old jetty or stay in the creek for cover.
    Or you can launch near the power station and fish calliope creek.
    There are endless spots, just be aware that the harbour can chop up badly at times.

good luck
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Thanks owen,I will just have to have a poke around.
    I dont think one week will be enough to even scratch the surface up there

Craig

Kid
    Check your PMs.
    Are you going to be in the Gladstone area this week-end?
    There has been plenty of queenies and sambos caught in the Caliope lately and good numbers of jew in the harbour .
    If your planing on doing Awoonga, do a charter with John Mitchell. He's an ex pro, and what he doesnt know about catching Barra in Awoonga isnt worth knowing.
    Mangomick
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

Quote Originally Posted by mangomick View Post
    Kid
    Check your PMs.
    Are you going to be in the Gladstone area this week-end?
    There has been plenty of queenies and sambos caught in the Caliope lately and good numbers of jew in the harbour .
    If your planing on doing Awoonga, do a charter with John Mitchell. He's an ex pro, and what he doesnt know about catching Barra in Awoonga isnt worth knowing.
    Mangomick
    I do the Tannum boyne hook up and mick gave me some spots that made my day and there a re some beautiful places there to fish we stay at the tannum sands caravan park which is facing wild cattle creek off the beach is also good for a throw for a lizard or two.

And if you ask Mick nicely he might invite you around and show you the pictures of me and my fish I'm show he has a couple of me on his mantle piece
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Thanks Mangomick you are a champ
    JT python the tnnum sands caravan park is where we are staying,heading up on sunday.
    Thanks again I really appreciate the assistance,it will help no end.
    Mangomick if you pm me a mobile number i will contact you when i am up there to buy you a beer.

Thanks Craig

JT had to buy a new camera 'cause he wore the old one out taking so many photos
    Craig, Its a pity you aren't getting up here on Friday Arvo. Looks like weather might be ok on Saturday and Sunday.
    Just watch Wild Cattle creek if you put your boat in there. Theres a nice patch of coral down the Colosseum creek end of wild cattle but quite a few rocks that you have to be careful of on the way down. I've never fished it but a few mates have done ok
    I'll PM you a few marks for Jenny Lind Shoals tomorrow night. I think that would probably be the best spot to try weather permitting. Can produce trout tuskies red throats and flag (stripies)
    The channel markers are also pretty good for mackies at times. On run out tide motor up to each one and crank a chrommie past them. No hit after a few cranks then move on to next one and do the same. The channel markers lead the big ships out of the harbour on the southern end of facing island. They are pretty easy to find. Go virtually straight out from Boyne River. Follow the big ships Dont try leaving or coming back in to Boyne River when tide is low. Theres a gravel bank that can give a bit of grief
    Its been pretty cool up here and the Barra wll be pretty sluggish but from all accounts try the really shallow water at the hottest part of the day and cast cast cast. Like I said a trip out with john Mitchell is definately the bloke to get all the knowledge from.
    The power station in gladstone hot water outlet has been producing the odd wild barra this month. I went down last week but didnt do any good the first day and got smashed by something that didnt even know was hooked the next.
    Try a yellow vibrotail and fish up near the outlet. cast out near the finger that is between the two different outlet bays. Let it drift round and just twitch it back and retrieve slowly. At times good sambos come in to the mouth of the hot water outlet and yoyu can anchor up just out from the mouth. Only a few hundred metres to the boat ramp. Boats arent allowed in the hot water outlet channel
    Hope this helps . I'll PM you tomorow night with marks for jenny lind as I'm at work now
    Cheers
    Mangomick

Quote Originally Posted by jtpython View Post
    I do the Tannum boyne hook up and mick gave me some spots that made my day .

And if you ask Mick nicely he might invite you around and show you the pictures of me and my fish I'm show he has a couple of me on his mantle piece
    Craig , I forgot to mention that JT took out the biggest Red Emporer at this years Boyne Tannum hook up and he'll never let me forget it.

Craig.
    This is a small section of the Gladstone Map that has the Green Zones for the area on. Not that the green zones will affect you but It will show you exactly where Jenny Lind (seal rocks) are.
    These maps are free from most good tackle shops and BCF
    Check your PMs for marks
    Cheers Mangomick

Hey mick i have some pics if you want some mate
    VHF CHANNEL 21

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

i live at the mouth of the boyne river and there are plenty of places u can get to with ur 4.2 metre stessco. Jenny lind banks, seal rocks, gatcombe heads, saberchief, mannings reef, shipping channels, shark buoys and 12 mile. U should only try these if the weather is gonna be good. the weather should be good enough but if not go down to toolooa bends or the Gladstone wharf or in the boyne river or go up wild cattle creek to a place called colousseum and catch some nice whiting(make sure u pump live yabbies on the banks)...
    Does any1 know what the weather is doing? We are heading out to douglas but if the weather is crap we aint gonna go.....

cheers alex

Thanks alex,more helpfull info it really is greatly appreciated
    Mango mick do you do night or day shift,what is your favourite beer or would yo prefer wine,i have some great reds i could leave you.
    jt python why dont you post a few pics and whet my appetite some more.

Cheers craig

Craig I do two 12 hour days and then two 12 hour nights
    If I dont catch up with you for that beer just post a few photos of your catch and PM me to let me know how those marks went
    Weather permitting I'll be heading out saturday or sunday to fish the cabbage patch.
    Craig What the hell are you doing asking JT to post a few photos for
    Its taken four weeks and half a pack of valium to quieten him down since his last big day out

Sik 008 long range forecast looking good for sat, sunday monday and tuesday. Winds variable and waves to 1.2m sat and to .9m on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by mangomick View Post
    Craig , I forgot to mention that JT took out the biggest Red Emporer at this years Boyne Tannum hook up and he'll never let me forget it.
    you sure are getting some mileage out of that catch,huh JT.
    I reckon I would be milking it too for as much as i could get if it were me.
    I still havent caught a legal sized one

scott

Awwwww well since you asked me too

AND MICK YOU KNOW WHY I WAS IN THE PAPER DOWN THWERE SO MUCH
    iS CAUSE I'M FROM ROCKY AND AM BETTER LOOKING THEN YOUSE DOWN THERE
    OH YEAH JT 3
    MICK 1
    VHF CHANNEL 21