Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stripper guide con?

Re: Stripper guide con?

Have to say Im with DR....and maybe we were watching at the same casting comp. Showing my age here...I was about 15 years old and wrote to Modern Fishing at the time to find out about this rod that Ross Garven (then NSW casting champ) was using. He was a really great fella and put me on to these rods - FSU4120 + 3' extensions. First guide (stripper) #20 Fuji...with 6" Alvey. He had done all the high speed photo routine and showed that a small guide was the go as long as it was at least half way up the rod (which is where things start with an FSU because taper is so fast). He used them in comps and also for fishing....he and his brother John were legendary pioneer beach and rock fisherman in the 70's. I built quite a number of these for family and friends and always used them for surf /rock fishing in N NSW. I have never seen any "conventional" rod outcast this setup.

I agree with all the other comments - I think the large runners stayed in "fashion" because much off the shelf gear sticks to old recipes and many "off the shelf fishos" dont like change. It was all part of the cone of line from reel to tip theory...which has now been shown to be bollocks. I use small "strippers" - never bigger than #25 on every rod I build....and never had a prob. The smaller runners are lighter..and when we get to SiC guides in big sizes $$$(ouch ).
    Anyway that's my 10c worth........

Ross Garven still will out cast 90% all casters of any age in a comp today , but i think you will find he uses a PC 4400CC for 2 ozs and a PC4400CK for 4ozs , or his Ryobi

Well I tried the little experiment yesterday.
    First cab off the rank was the 'new fangled theory' option using the point of intersection as seen in the setup Craftycarp put the link up for and that setup went really well.
    We tried to caste a No3 snapper sinker first and we thought we were going to run out of line on the 8000 reel and the canal is only so long in a straight line...so downsizing of the weight was called for.
    The easiest way we found to judge the distance was turns of the handle to get the No1 snapper sinker back in. And it was lots with the new setup.
    Then we reverted back to the 'old way' and tried again. Noticeable difference in casting distance...really noticeable difference.
    The heavier the lead the more remarkable was the difference.
    Thanks guys for the information.
    That particular rod is going back to the 'old way' as it's a restoration but there's another blank downstairs with new fangled way marked all over it

As mikeyh says....the price difference in buying a set of guides will also be a very welcoming remarkable difference. I can go up in quality in both guides and fishability without any difference in pricing.

Next problem is to get my hands to cast one of these beauties more then 3 times.

Again thanks for taking the time all those who contributed...your bloods worth bottling
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Thanks Scotty for the effort you put into this little experiment. Interesting results. My surf rod is a bit overdue for a spruce up, might have to make a few adjustments. Thanks again.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

That stuff I posted from the rodbuilding site is only one persons interpretation and it worked well on on the blank I had taped up and ready to be built up. Then I talked to HST made a few of the mods he suggested and the results were even better. HST I really think its time you posted up a few pics and an explantation of what you do? Then again you might give out a few too many secrets to the competition ?

craftycarp,ive been working with this line of thought since 1991 ,there are a lot of rod builders out there in the world that believe its a new thing ,its been used since 1980"S in Japan comps with smoke booms and other casting weights that we wont see for many years yet , ,Im more than happy to point you in the right direction as this only help us all in buying easy distance and improving our rod building technology to today line of thought ,,

Ps. always cast high and look and listen to what your placement is telling you before binding them on ,