Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stripper guide con?

Re: Stripper guide con?

A lot of food for thought here but at the end of the day how much extra distance would you get and do you really need it. I suppose it depends on what you want out of your rod and what type of fishing you mainly do with it.

So many variables come into play that could only answered by trial and error.

Gee Phill you did start me thinking about a lot of stuff.

If Scott does his experiment results will be interesting.

Crafty i believe the reversing of the guide is that it has less surface area of the foot to add friction to cut down distance.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Dave no its not about fricion ,ill fill you in later on why and how it works

On a side note, I was in a tackle shop ( toy store ) this afternoon and saw the two different surf rods side by side.

Amazing..............was the price.... $230. for the ' long cast ' type. Also saw my first 3 piece surf rod. !!!!!!

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I'll get the blank out in the morning and put some details of it up here.
    If you fellas can then tell me what guides to bung on it I would be very appreciative.
    I'm looking forward to this
    Which shop was that Phil?? I might have to go and have a gander
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Reversing the striper guide is a quick fix fo a rod that has a badly placed chocker guide ,

troubles yo Ger from incorrect placement of a chocker guide

line tangles during the cast

so called wind knots

line tangles due to excess line twist (alvey)

tangles due to a late hit in the cast

these all can be over come to a good drgee thru reversing the striper .

why it works is simple when you are using a rod set up to chock the line you dont want to chock the cast as this will slow the line flow to much and the line going thru the stripper will go past it and will have to come back thru the stripper ,this is where it all comes undone .line cant get back thru the guide tangling around the front foot ,by placing the guide backwards yo then are allowing the line to flow back the the face of the guide with a smooth flow ,

this method was used to great success in the early 80's by 7 times world distance casting champion , as when you hit a rod very hard and late with a slow tip recovery you will blow up a spinning reel every cast ,reverse the stripper and you might blow up 1 in 20 ,

What's a chocker guide??
    Just been down and looked at the blank.
    It's a 12' Wilson (if I remember as it was the early '90's when I bought it ). It's a light blank with a light action ie twitchy.
    Any 'how to' theories about guide placement ie stripper, chocker (what-ever that is) would be appreciated.
    I have a fair few old guides and some new ones so the experiment should only be a matter of binding new guides on.
    I reckon I could rustle up a 6" Alvey from somewhere inside
    Wood (silky oak or cedar) or bakelite or glass???
    I love experiments...it's better then mowing the lawn anyways
    Last edited by finga; 24-07-2007 at 08:00 AM.

I built a 12 ft loomis with fuji lowriders .the first 2 reversed and the rest as per normal to use with a spinning reel.ialso tried this blank with normal guide con figuration first. I got 5-12 m more using the lowrider guides.
    Hope this helps Graham.
    Ps this blank also needs a pound of lead to get it to work.

Hey Scotty how goes it,

The choker guide is the first guide. I got some measurements here for you to try. Starting from the tip 150-190-230-280-320-430mm should get the ball rolling for you. Good luck.

Thanks HST i remember there was a chap in the fishing mag who was building his rods with the reversed guide i should try a dig it out and take a gander.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

So the choker can also be called a stripper??
    Gees I'm dumb on all this technical mumbo jumbo talk.
    Guess what I'm doing tomorrow??
    MkI is on the cards I'd say.
    Any recommendations and guide sizes??
    If not I'll play it by ear.
    Cheers and ta Dave

The chocker guide is just that a chocker ,2 or 3 third guide up from the reel ,

The stripper is the first guide from the the reel .

have a read what Ive said about placement ,

Ive been working with this on comp casting rods since 1992 ,to date the best cast achieved in comp has been 237 mts on 8 lbs fireline and 75 grams ,

you must get the chocker guide in the right place first ,ALL OTHER GUIDES ARE PLACED FROM THIS POINT .

things that make a difference to the chocker been 2nd or 3rd guide up is length of the rod and high or low reel seat ,

working this on a soft tip glass rod will not be of any use to distance as the tip has to have a feast recovery ,

guides should be LCSG or you can try a HVSG 20 as a stripper and run alcanites as the rest chocker should be a 12 to get most out of the placement for fishing set as well as distance .
    Last edited by HST; 25-07-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks HST
    That's cleared a lot up. Champion!!

Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post
    The chocker guide is just that a chocker ,2 or 3 third guide up from the reel ,

The stripper is the first guide from the the reel .

you must get the chocker guide in the right place first ,ALL OTHER GUIDES ARE PLACED FROM THIS POINT .

things that make a difference to the chocker been 2nd or 3rd guide up is length of the rod and high or low reel seat ,

Hi HST, can you cast some light on the reason that the choker is 2nd or 3rd guide & how the difference from the reel seat & rod length is so important??

i would have thought the stripper would be more important, i imagined, if it is placed wrong it can cause problems which would almost make any difference where the next guide is irrelevant as you would be losing speed through the stripper anyway..

the stripper is there as a guide to start the ball rolling,it dose not want to put undue friction on the line coming of the spool ,just guide the line to the point of intersection that is where the chocker is mounted ,longrer rod will be over 4.5 mts .high mount to low mount will be between 600 to 800 ,difference ,the angel of the reel spool shaft is what tells you where the line intersects the blank .thus you can work your guides from this point ,

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/newguide.html

Here is another explanation of what HST is saying. In the 1st picture you will see where the chocker guide needs to be placed. It is placed relative to the reel. The thing I have learnt about the fuji NCG system is that it is very specific about where the chocker guide has to go and a rod basically has to be built for 1 reel size only. You can use other reel sizes but to get max distance it has to be built for that reel.

I never knew about the point of intersection, you learn all the time here. Good stuff.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!