Thread: cleaning fly line?

Question cleaning fly line?

hello again
    I have just recently bought some fly line for saltwater and am having a hard time cleaning the saltwater of it I use to have a floating line but now I have a intermedite WF 8 is there a right way or a wrong way to clean this type on line?
    thanks from kruger

Re: cleaning fly line?

Hey mate have you used Scientific Angler's fly line dressing?it come's with the little soft cleaning pad.Dan........

yes I think so feels like a wax or a silcone it works great on the floating line but not the other but thanks for the info!dan

A reply I posted December last year also on a line cleaning question.
    Not much has chaged since.....

Wessel

Luke warm soapy water (somewhere at a temp where you can still safely chuck a baby into the bath without the critter screaming its head off)
    Use a soft cloth and run the line firmly through the cloth a couple of times (about a dozen times should do ya)
    Then rinse the line in clean water
    Dry the line by pulling it through a white towel - any marks on the towel and the line is not clean => start from step one and repeat the cleaning steps

G'day Spook,

Several yrs ago when i was right into SWF i tried thoroughly cleaning the line as wessel suggested and then i treated it with RAINEX the stuff you put on your windscreen to make it water repellant. Talk about making a line slick!!
    The Rainex lasts for about 6 weeks or so before you treat it again.

I have that same line in the shed and it hasnt been used in about 4 yrs and its not looking to be affected by being treated with it.

It would be worthwhile to check with a test piece right down near your backing before you treat the whole line just in case your line is a different material than mine is.

Jack.

Spook

Been fly fishing for a long time and the best way I have found is with the same method that Wessel has posted.

Be very careful when you put ANYTHING , other than a reputable line cleaner on the line. SA or GLIDE ar the two best on the marrket for floating lines.

Some of the more common things used by people actually damages the coating on the line and then you are up for a new line.

Go the soapy water route mate and your line will be clean and last a lot longer.
    Stay away from anything that will place silicone on an int/sinking line as you will effect the sink rate, as silicone is a floatant.

Just what I have found out over the years.

Hope this helps.

PS- if you dont want to destrot a white towel, then use and old white tee shirt , teh material in these is ideal. Same when doing teh floating lines.

Pete
    Last edited by oscar64; 21-07-2007 at 07:50 AM.

Hi all and all are right what you use I have been flicking flies for a few years and found a cheap and neat way is a non scented wet one or baby wipe works well and never have a problem with the line as a result of using it.

I tie a fly on the leadrer hook it to a fence and run the line out to the backing and simply walk along it with the wet one pinced on the line repeat three or four times and jobs done.

Regard TT

thank for the cleaning guide guys I shall give them all a go!
    thank you again from kruger

My two cents..... try using an alco wipe (remove grease and shit) ......... hospital grade, then the soapy water (always) and finish off fly treatment with Aquaseal Free Line.......... Fly Line Treatment.... for wot its worth ... happy hunting

I like to use an Umpqua line dressing box, its basically a small box that opens like a book with a small hole at each end. U place your line thru the middle and close the box, u then proceed to strip the line thru the pads inside the box.

I like to use this stuff called " Greased Lightning" by "The creek company", makes your line all SCHLICK, I reckon it helps.

Flies thru the guides for a while anyway

the book method sound good i will have a look a this aswell thank there
    crazzzzy!!!

Hi Spook

All good info there, just something I use and have been for years which is 303 aerospace. I've only found it at one place which is Autobarn it is silicon free and does not dry out and crack lines.
    I've used the commercial ones and this stuff is just as good at a fraction of the price.

Cheers Rick