Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Barra caught at Bribie Island

Re: Barra caught at Bribie Island

What was the weather like last week looks to flat !!!

Just thought i'd add my little bit to this debate. Attached is the lasest fishing report from the bayside bulletin which states that there was a small barra caught in the Raby Bay canals

I work with a fellow who lives up bribie apparently its legit although this fish wasnt too when caught it wasnt even hooked, he scooped it up in a landing net as it was swimming very groggily on its side on top of the water? apparently

hey guys, thought I'd jump in on this one. I was at the bongaree jetty this morning flicking some plastics, anyway got talking to a local and he mentioned the barra in question so I my ears poped up and I said to him "was it real". his reply was he was there when it happened at the jetty. the boat you see in the photo was moored to the jetty.
    he said he has seen them before in the passage and I see no reason for him to lie about it as he has nothing to gain only to loose( by means of all us moltey crew invading his back yard).

and someone mention the prawn farm in bullock creek and yes he has experimented with barra some years back.( if it is the same farmer?)
    cheers brad.
    is time to go fishing yet

On Nuggets website there is a picture of a little girl holding barra that was caught in Raby Bay.

it was also in his report on fridays news..

Quote Originally Posted by clone trooper View Post
    hey guys, thought I'd jump in on this one. I was at the bongaree jetty this morning flicking some plastics, anyway got talking to a local and he mentioned the barra in question so I my ears poped up and I said to him "was it real". his reply was he was there when it happened at the jetty. the boat you see in the photo was moored to the jetty.
    he said he has seen them before in the passage and I see no reason for him to lie about it as he has nothing to gain only to loose( by means of all us moltey crew invading his back yard).

and someone mention the prawn farm in bullock creek and yes he has experimented with barra some years back.( if it is the same farmer?)
    cheers brad.
    brad i disagree a bit on the point that the pic was taken from bongaree jetty as the background doesnt fit,,,,, this looks to be taken from vmr area with the angle going across the passage towards the oyster jetty on the mainland,, going via the ""bend"" in the one and only light on the bridge showing also confirms it,,

as a point of interest though,,, dave confirmed yesterday that (bribie #########) that he has had numerous calls checking the authenticity of the report,,,, but it wasn't weighed in at his shop,,,, tackle inn (which is closest to vmr) had the same outcome,, but ""seemed"" reserved in saying to much,, bongaree caravan park weigh in i didn't call as not many visitors that come to the island are aware that you can weigh in here,,, which only leaves spinnaker or caboolture where it may have been taken

i'm hoping that its a real catch,,, the landing net story around the island is consistent,,, the fish was floating and splashing about a bit on top of the water,,, and scooped up,,,, ITS JUST THOSE DAMN LIGHTS THAT HAVE ME?????

oh and by the way tangle foot had a good reply re the sun/shade,,, this is not uncommon though as the bridge always casts a shadow underneath,, but it means that the pic would have to have been taken in the morning for the shadow to cast to the fellows right if he was at the vmr area,,,

i say that as the pillions of the bridge clearly show sunlight on the ""left"" face just below the road level,,, if the sun was shining from the right this would be in darkness

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by choppa View Post
    brad i disagree a bit on the point that the pic was taken from bongaree jetty as the background doesnt fit,,,,, this looks to be taken from vmr area with the angle going across the passage towards the oyster jetty on the mainland,, going via the ""bend"" in the one and only light on the bridge showing also confirms it,,

as a point of interest though,,, dave confirmed yesterday that (bribie #########) that he has had numerous calls checking the authenticity of the report,,,, but it wasn't weighed in at his shop,,,, tackle inn (which is closest to vmr) had the same outcome,, but ""seemed"" reserved in saying to much,, bongaree caravan park weigh in i didn't call as not many visitors that come to the island are aware that you can weigh in here,,, which only leaves spinnaker or caboolture where it may have been taken

i'm hoping that its a real catch,,, the landing net story around the island is consistent,,, the fish was floating and splashing about a bit on top of the water,,, and scooped up,,,, ITS JUST THOSE DAMN LIGHTS THAT HAVE ME?????

oh and by the way tangle foot had a good reply re the sun/shade,,, this is not uncommon though as the bridge always casts a shadow underneath,, but it means that the pic would have to have been taken in the morning for the shadow to cast to the fellows right if he was at the vmr area,,,

i say that as the pillions of the bridge clearly show sunlight on the ""left"" face just below the road level,,, if the sun was shining from the right this would be in darkness

choppa

Choppa, your more that likely right mate, I didn't take much notice of the photo or my surroundings when I was there yesterday. it still dosn't surprise me if it's real.
    cheers brad.
    is time to go fishing yet

I hate to be a doubter, but the picture looks photo shopped. The area around the right side of the guys pants (His left), look to have a distinctive edge where one photo is sitting on another. These edges are a clear give away of a dodgy photo.
    Last edited by Mick-P; 25-07-2007 at 10:20 PM.

I bucked the trend and instead of magnifying the image I reduced it to the smallest size possible in Photoshop. Then I looked at it with a magnifying glass. Surprisingly I found at that size he isn't even wearing a hat!!

Then I went with the trend and enlarged it and found there is a tab on his right shirt sleeve that seems to legitimize the photo.

It's a tough one.

Thought i 'd throw my two cents in a mate of mine from my local tackle shop bit of a pro was telling me he has caught quite a few over the years in Morten Bay area apparently there were some floods years ago and a Barra fish farm went under so they are around. There have prob been a lot more caught and not identified properly by anglers.

looks very much like photoshop pro to me. but you never know

I am a skipper in raby bay and there was a barra caught at the house next door a bit smaller than that one That is two weeks ago. It could be a pocket of warm water running down the coast. Climates are changing. There are still plenty of flying fish offshore which usually means warm water. The whales are very inconsistent compared to last year. So who knows but i think changes are coming. We have even caught at least ten red emperor this year and a coral trout east of point lookout.

Spoke to the guy that runs the Tackle Inn shop on Bribie today.The barra and photo are real . This is the guy that weighed the barra and photographed it at the VRM ramp . Apparently the barra had a gash in the side that was bleeding when he first saw it, possibly from a boat strike.Proberly why it was able to be caught in a landing net

Thanks Crabbie,

Been waiting for somebody to vouch for authenticity.

I'm glad thats cleared up.

Jack.